Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Custom House Quay, Falmouth, Cornwall

06-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Custom House Quay, Falmouth, Cornwall

I am assuming you used the DA 10-17 Fisheye. Was there any distortion that needed cropping?

Cheers,
Loyd
06-17-2021, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
I am assuming you used the DA 10-17 Fisheye. Was there any distortion that needed cropping?
Correct. I think, if you look very closely at the left hand edge of the image, there is just a little curvature. I have not cropped the image. Apart from adding my watermark, ths is straight out of the camera. I've not had the lens very long, and I've found it very versatile. Used at 17mm(as in this image), there is very little distortion if you are just a little careful in the composition. Use it at 10mm it will create the classic fisheye look. I've posted a couple of such images back up the thread.

Hope this helps,

Colin
06-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian

"Peace Doves" display at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral - one of a final few images taken with a fisheye lens

06-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Correct. I think, if you look very closely at the left hand edge of the image, there is just a little curvature. I have not cropped the image. Apart from adding my watermark, ths is straight out of the camera. I've not had the lens very long, and I've found it very versatile. Used at 17mm(as in this image), there is very little distortion if you are just a little careful in the composition. Use it at 10mm it will create the classic fisheye look. I've posted a couple of such images back up the thread.

Hope this helps,

Colin
If you aren't keen on exploiting the "classic fisheye look" why not use a different lens?

Cheers,
Loyd
06-20-2021, 04:10 AM   #36
Pentaxian

If you aren't keen on exploiting the "classic fisheye look" why not use a different lens?
I didn't think I'd said anything to suggest I didn't want to exploit the fisheye distortion. I was trying to be informative in answer to your question.

As to why not use a different lens - on researching before buying the lens, a number of users said how versatile the lens is. A view I agree with. First, yes, you can exploit the classic fisheye look but, personally, I think that suits particular images/subjects (which vary as they present themselves in the viewfinder).

Second, there seemed to be a consensus that at the longer end of the zoom range it became a useful ultra wide-angle lens with little fisheye distortion if used carefully. The image you commented on was one such, and the result is an almost rectilinear shot but covering a wider area than my normal rectilinear UWA zoom lens. The 10-17 more or less expands the horizontal area covered from just beyond that covered by my normal 10-24mm zoom.

Third, the lens was already on the camera and it produced the composition I wanted, so no need to change the lens.

Colin
06-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't think I'd said anything to suggest I didn't want to exploit the fisheye distortion. I was trying to be informative in answer to your question.

As to why not use a different lens - on researching before buying the lens, a number of users said how versatile the lens is. A view I agree with. First, yes, you can exploit the classic fisheye look but, personally, I think that suits particular images/subjects (which vary as they present themselves in the viewfinder).

Second, there seemed to be a consensus that at the longer end of the zoom range it became a useful ultra wide-angle lens with little fisheye distortion if used carefully. The image you commented on was one such, and the result is an almost rectilinear shot but covering a wider area than my normal rectilinear UWA zoom lens. The 10-17 more or less expands the horizontal area covered from just beyond that covered by my normal 10-24mm zoom.

Third, the lens was already on the camera and it produced the composition I wanted, so no need to change the lens.

Colin
Well that about covers it In particular, I agree with the comment on versatility. The lens can produce incredibly creative kaleidoscopic images at one end, and a sense of undistorted infinity on the other. I own a 10-20mm zoom, but it sees very little action. Can you give me an example of a subject that would benefit from a normal rectilinear lens?

Cheers,
Loyd

06-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
The DA 10-17 is a very good and "creative" lens. And yes, it's different than a rectlinear one (like the 11-18) and get some work to get hang of it and control the effect to get what you want. Every people are different, some people will love it, others will never be able to get something good out of it. I guess it's mostly a matter of mindset on how you think the picture rather than any technical qualities or flaws of the lens.

I really love mine and it's one my favorite Pentax lens, although it's only to be used in specific settings when I know it should work and give something interesting and different than the usual UWA.

A few pictures (all with a K-3 and DA 10-17 "original non HD"), many if not all would have been impossible with a UWA because they all have a much widewr AOV:

Carljf,

A much wider AOV! That nails it. When I use a normal rectilinear lens, the subject is often swallowed by the horizon. The fish-eye allows the background to enhance the subject. Your photos certainly demonstrate this. Can you give me an example of when you would prefer a normal rectilinear lens over the fish-eye? I am seeking a reason to keep my Sigma 10-20mm 1:3.5 DC HSM.

Cheers,
Loyd
06-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Well that about covers it In particular, I agree with the comment on versatility. The lens can produce incredibly creative kaleidoscopic images at one end, and a sense of undistorted infinity on the other. I own a 10-20mm zoom, but it sees very little action. Can you give me an example of a subject that would benefit from a normal rectilinear lens?
That last is a very open question. Anything you want to take a "record" shot of would be an example but it's not about benefit, it's about having an "alternative" view - rather like a second camera angle in movie making. The kaleidoscopic image I posted upthread was one of a number taken at the same time using both the fisheye and other lenses. You choose your lens and make your choice of viewpoint/subject. I would also point out that my rectilinear 10-24mm zoom is not free from distortion at the 10mm end, depending upon subject.

Here is a link to the Peace Doves album "Peace Doves" at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral (9903) | Flickr
06-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That last is a very open question. Anything you want to take a "record" shot of would be an example but it's not about benefit, it's about having an "alternative" view - rather like a second camera angle in movie making. The kaleidoscopic image I posted upthread was one of a number taken at the same time using both the fisheye and other lenses. You choose your lens and make your choice of viewpoint/subject. I would also point out that my rectilinear 10-24mm zoom is not free from distortion at the 10mm end, depending upon subject.

Here is a link to the Peace Doves album "Peace Doves" at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral (9903) | Flickr
There is a sense of spirit that other lenses would have difficulty capturing. Did you use a flash?

Cheers,
Loyd
06-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #41
Pentaxian

There is a sense of spirit that other lenses would have difficulty capturing. Did you use a flash?
No, no flash. I'm not averse to using flash but rarely do as I prefer to use the ambient light, whatever it is. I learnt this 40 years ago taking photos of my wife's shop window displays - flash just destroyed the intended look. Apart from the fact anyway that flash in the cathedral was not allowed.

Colin
06-30-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

"Sunset Moment" - from "The Island", St. Ives, Cornwall

06-30-2021, 09:54 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Sunset Moment" - from "The Island", St. Ives, Cornwall
What an interesting capture: light to dark; left to right; and the bit of rock resiliently carrying on.

Cheers,
Loyd
07-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Two more images from my "learning process" with the DA 10-17mm zoom. In both cases the shot is made possible by the extreme field of view of the lens. :-

"An Helford Cottage", Helford, Cornwall

Church Cove, Gunwalloe, on the Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall. The "Church of the Storms" nestles behind the cliff with its adjacent graveyard, the beach itself is just above the church in this view, and Mullion Golf course is on the hill beyond. The church is dedicated to St Winwaloe.
07-11-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

"Kynance Cove" - in late afternoon sunlight, Cornwall