Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I
I think the post by madbrain is the only ne that references AA batteries, and that appeared to only be an issue when the grip was left turned on:
It would be an issue regardless of battery type. Leaving the grip on will cause a small current consumption. Eventually batteries will be discharged.

In addition, all batteries also have self-discharge rate, even when not in use. LiOn batteries generally self-discharge much faster than AA eneloops, which are low self-discharge (LSD).

05-11-2021, 02:20 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
I just got the D-BG6 grip for the K-1 II. I told the camera to use the grip battery first. It drained after like 10 shots. I tried with a Pentax and a Wasabi battery, same issue on both. Both were fully charged. The in body battery depleted at a normal rate. Has anyone else had this experience? Do I have a faulty grip? I bought it new so I’m not worried about replacement/warranty.
where did you get the grip ?

can you return the grip

I think that is what I would do if that was an option
05-11-2021, 04:29 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
It would be an issue regardless of battery type. Leaving the grip on will cause a small current consumption. Eventually batteries will be discharged.
I absolutely agree that leaving the grip turned on could well drain the battery over a period of time. From the original post it sounded like the OP only managed to get off 10 shots using the battery in the grip, indicating a far more rapid discharge. Unfortunately, there has been no feedback from the OP to indicate if the battery was really depleted (by trying it directly in the camera), or if the camera was just misreading the battery level. At present we have no idea if the fault is with the grip, the camera, or simply a bad connection.
05-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sorry, I've been super busy and didn't have a chance to answer questions before now.

- I cleaned the contacts on the grip and the camera.
- It's a brand new genuine Pentax D-BG6 purchased from Amazon. It's still under warranty. I just bought it a month ago.
- I have not tried using the AA battery bracket.
- After the battery drained in the grip, I put it into the camera to see if it read as drained in there too. It did on the Pentax and Wasabi batteries.
- Firmware is up to date.

Seems to me at this point that it's faulty.

05-14-2021, 05:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
It did on the Pentax and Wasabi batteries.
Do I understand you right - both batteries drained rapidly in the camera?

That suggests the problem is not the battery/ies or the grip, it is the camera, surely?
05-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeeEmm Quote
Do I understand you right - both batteries drained rapidly in the camera?

That suggests the problem is not the battery/ies or the grip, it is the camera, surely?
No, the batteries drained in the grip. I then put them in the camera to check the battery level to see if maybe it was a glitch but that was not the case. They showed as drained in the camera too. Batteries that I used only in the camera itself were completely fine and drained at a normal rate.
05-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for clarifying. That is so not my experience with the Pentax K1 BG, and even more extreme than my K3 ebay chinagrip.

Only one thing to do, send it back. Good luck!