Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2021, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I only have two wr lenses buy have shot limiteds in a drizzle many a time. I try not to get it soaked and protect the camera a bit with my body but it certainly get a bit wet.

05-03-2021, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #32
5ks
Pentaxian

Sometimes you don't know in advance, if it's gonna rain or not. WR is very useful then, not so much to worry about. But of course I also try to give some cover to my gear. Keep it in the camera bag or under my coat.

But then: rain or snow - great atmosphere and opportunities for photograpy! Bad weather is good weather (for Pentax shooters). Just prepare for it, and/or take some shelter if possible.
05-03-2021, 11:25 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

This was taken a few weeks ago. Sorry K3 not K1. I had a lot of fun in the rain. I was the only camera there. (Cross post (?) I probably posted this in the sports thread after the event)

05-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not too concerned about taking my AR Pentax gear out in the rain. I just don't want to get wet or hit by lightening.

05-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Here you go...
That's so nifty!
05-05-2021, 11:14 AM - 4 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
But then: rain or snow - great atmosphere and opportunities for photograpy! Bad weather is good weather (for Pentax shooters). Just prepare for it, and/or take some shelter if possible.
Recently I've been grabbing the camera and heading out every time the weather looks "bad". On a recent occasion, I started with heavy rain hoping for some atmosphere, but then it turned into snow which was even better:

Even though I had an umbrella, the camera and lens (k1ii and 28-105) were soaked
05-05-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Even so, they rarely get used in the rain without protection. How about you?
I NEVER expose any of my cameras or lenses to rain or water. I keep them in bags or under my raincoat and get them out for a very short time just to take my images. Once, I fell in a watercourse with a Pentax K1000 when I was still working, I was totally soaked but had the reflex to keep the camera at arm's length out of the water. I can always dry myself or my clothes but the camera would have been a write-off.

Regards

05-06-2021, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #38
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Recently I've been grabbing the camera and heading out every time the weather looks "bad". On a recent occasion, I started with heavy rain hoping for some atmosphere, but then it turned into snow which was even better:

Even though I had an umbrella, the camera and lens (k1ii and 28-105) were soaked
What a wonderful picture! Snowy weather is great for photographty in my opinion, and lucky to have snow in my country every winter.
05-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Falling snow is another situation I usually avoid. If it rains or snows I try to protect the equipment with some covering.

Thanks,
barondla
05-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not very often as I am not normally in the mood. But it happened to me in a few occasions to be out with my camera and it started rain ... I just kept shooting with no concern. In one case I was in a old hystorical city (Assisi, in Italy) for a week end with the family and... crazy .. it rained for two consecutive days almost continuously. I proudly walked around with my rain coat (we all had one including my dog ) and my (bare) K1 + DFA 24-70 and kept shooting under a torrent of rain for th entire week-and... believe me the camera had no problem at all and we really had a lot of fun...
05-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Falling snow is another situation I usually avoid. If it rains or snows I try to protect the equipment with some covering.

Thanks,
barondla

For snow (and rain too, for that matter) I am more worried about getting it all over the front lens element and blurring the image, than I am about the camera or lens getting damaged. I really appreciate being able to shoot in these conditions and just relax and not worry about the gear....just concentrate on the image making. It's great to be able to do that!
05-06-2021, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote

That's a great image and the reason why you go out in adverse weather. This was taken when it was snowing as well.

05-06-2021, 10:35 PM - 5 Likes   #43
Inactive Account

It is depended on how heavy the wind and rain too.
At first I only use WR lenses in the rain or snow, but now I don't really care anymore. So now, I will use WR lens only when it rain like monsoon rain or typhoon Cat3 or weaker (heavier than that; the win will be too crazy and I don't dare going out).

There were a time I shooting in the rain but I didn't know I loosed the PC flash sync socket cover and a bad condensation developed on the sensor which give my photos a foggy looking when there were no fog but only rain. At first, I thought I accidentally turn on some kind of filter in the camera until I try to change lens in a building Good thing, I found it before something worse happen to the camera.

The 2 images below came from the same night. We had a Typhoon comes close to Tokyo that night.

DA21: I usually wrap it with a microfiber lens cloth when it rain but no heavy wind. Have to keep changing the lens cloth when it get too wet.

DA*55: It can take heavy rain and wind all night

Last edited by tokyoscape; 05-06-2021 at 10:45 PM.
05-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #44
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
For snow (and rain too, for that matter) I am more worried about getting it all over the front lens element and blurring the image, than I am about the camera or lens getting damaged. I really appreciate being able to shoot in these conditions and just relax and not worry about the gear....just concentrate on the image making. It's great to be able to do that!
Me too: more afraid of getting water drops on the front element (or filter). For tele lenses, the hood usually help a lot, but for wide angles, the risk is bigger.
05-07-2021, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
It is depended on how heavy the wind and rain too.
At first I only use WR lenses in the rain or snow, but now I don't really care anymore. So now, I will use WR lens only when it rain like monsoon rain or typhoon Cat3 or weaker (heavier than that; the win will be too crazy and I don't dare going out).

There were a time I shooting in the rain but I didn't know I loosed the PC flash sync socket cover and a bad condensation developed on the sensor which give my photos a foggy looking when there were no fog but only rain. At first, I thought I accidentally turn on some kind of filter in the camera until I try to change lens in a building Good thing, I found it before something worse happen to the camera.

The 2 images below came from the same night. We had a Typhoon comes close to Tokyo that night.

DA21: I usually wrap it with a microfiber lens cloth when it rain but no heavy wind. Have to keep changing the lens cloth when it get too wet.

DA*55: It can take heavy rain and wind all night
The blue image is stunning!