Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

15 limited on the k1

Hey everyone,
Searching for a wa lens on the k1 that satisfies my starburst needs, I actually am considering to go back to the 15 smc limited.

Could anyone tell me, how large (MP) the best crop on the k1 works for them?

My wild guess is, I will end up at around 18mm of usable focal length, maybe someone has already tested this?

Thanks in advance!

05-29-2021, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Square 1:1 works well from all that I have read.
05-29-2021, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a look at this thread …

FF mode - DA15 - crop factors & crop sizes - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
05-29-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexanderS Quote
...wa lens on the k1 that satisfies my starburst needs...

Is your signature current? It looks like your current camera is K-70 and you haven't bought the K-1 yet.

If you are getting the K-1 mostly for wide angle starbursts, reconsider because you'll need to crop so much that the K-1 will give results around the same as the K-70. The K-1 in 1:1 ratio, however, can give you more vertical resolution than the K-70.

Here's a non-cropped sample of K-1 and DA 15 so you can see how extreme the vignetting can be.

05-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is not very much wider. You can do a square crop that includes more, but otherwise, plan to get a wider lens that is full frame compatible (DFA 15-30/Irix or Samyang prime).
05-30-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey, Thanks for the image, very helpful. No, just realised, that my signature is completely obsolete. I now have the K1, the 100 wr, and still the 55 300, plus a sigma y21 35, and a Helios 58.

The thing is, I had the 15 limited before, sold it, but really miss it, especially starbursts and size/weightwere awesome.

By now, I tried the fa 20 2.8, takumar 17, and a lot more, but the 15 really is the best deal by far, and a little bit of cropping for the convenience is ok

---------- Post added 05-30-21 at 05:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is not very much wider. You can do a square crop that includes more, but otherwise, plan to get a wider lens that is full frame compatible (DFA 15-30/Irix or Samyang prime).
The thing is, I had the 15 limited before, sold it, but really miss it, especially starbursts and size/weightwere awesome.

By now, I tried the fa 20 2.8, takumar 17, and a lot more, even looked at the (completely unbalanced) 15 30, also didn't like the starbursts, which I really enjoy usually, but the 15 really is the best deal by far, and a little bit of cropping for the convenience is ok.

At least for the moment, the 15 is the best deal, a 15 30 f4 would be great, or that wa prime, that is on the pentax project list....who knows
05-30-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Worth checking out the 2omm Voigtlander color skopar.... see https://www.flickr.com/photos/47967900@N08/27817016474/in/photolist-JWKa34-Q...-LYtEYS-J3FYNr

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-30-2021 at 04:48 PM.
05-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Worth checking out the 2omm Voigtlander color skopar.... see voigtlander Color Skopar SLII 20mm F3.5 | Singapore Cityscap? | Lao Ma | Flickr
I actually found that one before. Problem is to get one, at a decent price. Not even speaking a pentax mount, those go up to 1000 euros. Do you know, if you lose infinity, when using a Canon or nikon variant, and an adaptor?
05-30-2021, 09:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder what the starbursts will be like on the pending DFA 21 Limited?

If you can wait an indeterminate amount of time, of course...

-Eric
05-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I wonder what the starbursts will be like on the pending DFA 21 Limited?

If you can wait an indeterminate amount of time, of course...

-Eric
Yeah.....considering, that they even haven't defined a final sales date and corona parts shortages, my wild guess is next summer. I like that they finally implement wr, except for one part: for a prime lens, and knowing the other pentax limiteds, it is too large, and most probably too heavy (it was bigger than the 31, by quite a bit, in the videos).

There was even no need to put in a bigger, silent AF, as it is a WA lens, that 90% will use in manual focus mode, anyways. I really get the feel, that Pentax now decided to enter the rat race competition of crazy sharpest lenses, that Sony and others are driving for a while by now, so the next lenses will all be huge and heavy, like the DFA 50 and 85 (albeit very nice lenses); I hope that they will still keep some smaller, beautiful/practical lenses in their development portfolio
05-30-2021, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I actually found that one before. Problem is to get one, at a decent price. Not even speaking a pentax mount, those go up to 1000 euros. Do you know, if you lose infinity, when using a Canon or nikon variant, and an adaptor?
I bought a new one 5 years ago from here.... PK mount.... I notice they still have them for $539 euro c : Hong Kong Buy and Sell Limited

I notice they have pk mount 40's as well. My purchase from them went smoothly.

I bought an ebay generic hood.

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-30-2021 at 05:13 PM.
05-30-2021, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Manual focus Nikon lenses can often be directly mounted into a Pentax mount. It doesn’t allow locking in place but lighter and smaller lenses are just fine in this use. I’ve used a Nikon 50mm f2 this way. Generally the lens will focus past infinity when mounted this way so a shim is advisable.
05-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Hey, Thanks for the image, very helpful. No, just realised, that my signature is completely obsolete. I now have the K1, the 100 wr, and still the 55 300, plus a sigma y21 35, and a Helios 58.

By now, I tried the fa 20 2.8, takumar 17, and a lot more, but the 15 really is the best deal by far, and a little bit of cropping for the convenience is ok[COLOR="Silver"]
I use the DA 40 and 70 Limiteds on my K1 regularly. Apart from some mushy corners with the 40, they perform well. But the 15? Not even close! If I want to use that lens, the K3 or K3iii is the better option.
05-31-2021, 02:00 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Manual focus Nikon lenses can often be directly mounted into a Pentax mount. It doesn’t allow locking in place but lighter and smaller lenses are just fine in this use. I’ve used a Nikon 50mm f2 this way. Generally the lens will focus past infinity when mounted this way so a shim is advisable.
Need to ask, what is a shim?

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 02:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I bought a new one 5 years ago from here.... PK mount.... I notice they still have them for $539 euro c : Hong Kong Buy and Sell Limited

I notice they have pk mount 40's as well. My purchase from them went smoothly.

I bought an ebay generic hood.
Looking at your link as well, thanks for it

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 02:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I use the DA 40 and 70 Limiteds on my K1 regularly. Apart from some mushy corners with the 40, they perform well. But the 15? Not even close! If I want to use that lens, the K3 or K3iii is the better option.
Well aware, that the 15 is by far not the perfect choice for FF. Believe me, I tried a lot of lenses by now, to replace the joy I had with the 15, and none of them came close enough to, what I wanted, unfortunately(size, price, starburst).

The thing is, WA is only a specialty lens for me, so I am fine cropping a bit from the image (28 instead of 36 MP is still plenty), and I can literally take this lens anywhere in my pocket, starbursts are nice, and I like the metal feel. I also like to do urbex a lot, and a smaller lens is by far preferable, especially, when you sometimes need to climb a little.

The main issue: The K1 has all the features, that I really want (lights on the body is a huge plus), and a great, solid feel, so going down to a K3 is not an option for me, unfortunately (also, the fixed screen is a PITA in urbex buildings)

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 02:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Well aware, that the 15 is by far not the perfect choice for FF. Believe me, I tried a lot of lenses by now, to replace the joy I had with the 15, and none of them came close enough to, what I wanted, unfortunately(size, price, starburst).

The thing is, WA is only a specialty lens for me, so I am fine cropping a bit from the image (28 instead of 36 MP is still plenty), and I can literally take this lens anywhere in my pocket, starbursts are nice, and I like the metal feel. I also like to do urbex a lot, and a smaller lens is by far preferable, especially, when you sometimes need to climb a little.

The main issue: The K1 has all the features, that I really want (lights on the body is a huge plus), and a great, solid feel, so going down to a K3 is not an option for me, unfortunately (also, the fixed screen is a PITA in urbex buildings)
05-31-2021, 02:12 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster

An image from the seller, really pleasant person to deal with, I just have one more question, should the starburst lines be double, using the 15 smc? I looked a little on flickr, most are rather single lines, but maybe in this case, it is just the angle of shooting? Any knowledge here is more than welcome
Attached Images