Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Preview button near the on/off switch

I'm confused once again a bit.

I'd like to use the preview button/ toggle switch in order to see the exposure before I take the shot. The manual/and the camera menu seems to say that if you set it for Digital Preview, you can "check the exposure, composition and focus before shooting".

When I set my camera to Digital Preview and try and use it; it releases the shutter automatically.

Do I have something set that is overriding the preview function?

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 08:42 AM ----------

I am aware that you can see & check exposure on LIVE mode, it actually happens on the screen in real time.

I'd like to use the preview button when I'm looking through the view finder.

05-31-2021, 09:23 AM   #2

The digital preview takes an exposure and displays the preview on the rear LCD without saving the image to the card. It's a holdover from before Pentax DSLRs had LiveView (K10D and earlier) and mainly used for evaluating DOF.

If you set it to optical it will stop down the iris to you set f-stop and you can preview the DOF though the viewfinder.

If you have the electronic level disable, use aperture ring enabled with a MF non-A lens operating the optical DOF in Manual mode allows you to "needle match" the exposure in the viewfinder by turning the aperture ring on the lens and the edial for shutter speed.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-31-2021 at 09:30 AM.
05-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Markpszk Quote
I'd like to use the preview button when I'm looking through the view finder.
As explained above, what you are doing does that, except you can't see the results through the viewfinder. Optical preview, OTOH, is the other option and does an instantaneous stop-down to evaluate DOF.

Steve
05-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I find the digital preview superior, especially in low-light. Even on the K-1 II, the optical viewfinder is too small to properly evaluate depth of field, much less fine focus.

The digital preview setting will also fire the flash, if you have one attached, whereas the optical preview won't.

06-01-2021, 04:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, Thanks all!

I'm just starting out being serious about photography.

It just seems that with difficult exposure shots with brightness issues within the shot, even if the preview takes a test shot, you still can't see the adjustment needed and just have to keep taking test shots?

I just thought it would be nice to make an adjustment and be able to see the result before shooting. I enjoy taking shots looking through the viewfinder. I find it clearer and a better connection to what I'm shooting. The challenge for me is to know enough about the camera & lens, to get the shot I see through the viewfinder.

Example: I took a test shot in my Villa. The windows have a view, but it was very bright outside. I took the shot and the view was over exposed, almost completely white. I adjusted the exposure mode and proceeded to take shot after shot to balance the interior and the exterior view out the window.

Is their a better way to approach these kind of shots?
06-01-2021, 05:26 AM   #6
sbc

Photos: Albums
There is a few ways you can go about it.

1. Use fill in flash for the interior.
2. Shoot RAW and then adjust brightness curve in software.
3. Shoot in HDR to flatten the dynamic range.
4. Bracket the shots and combine them in Photoshop.

I am sure others have even better ideas here.
06-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a limit to how much dynamic range you can capture in a single shot. If it's very bright outside, and not so bright inside, and you want both elements in the photo, either HDR or photoshop are the paths forward. HDR has limits, and I don't generally like the images. What I would do is set to spot meter, use exposure lock on the outside, and take that photo. Repeat with the exposure locked on the interior. Photoshop the outside image from that shot into the interior image of the second shot.

In some cases, if the difference isn't too large, set spot meter and lock exposure to the outside, with probably +2 EV of exposure compensation. Editing in post you push the highlights slider down, and the shadows slider way up, and there may be enough range to work the image. I would shoot in RAW to maximize the amount of editing that is possible.

06-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
There is a limit to how much dynamic range you can capture in a single shot. If it's very bright outside, and not so bright inside, and you want both elements in the photo, either HDR or photoshop are the paths forward. HDR has limits, and I don't generally like the images. What I would do is set to spot meter, use exposure lock on the outside, and take that photo. Repeat with the exposure locked on the interior. Photoshop the outside image from that shot into the interior image of the second shot.

In some cases, if the difference isn't too large, set spot meter and lock exposure to the outside, with probably +2 EV of exposure compensation. Editing in post you push the highlights slider down, and the shadows slider way up, and there may be enough range to work the image. I would shoot in RAW to maximize the amount of editing that is possible.
cool!
06-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Markpszk Quote
OK, Thanks all!

I'm just starting out being serious about photography.

It just seems that with difficult exposure shots with brightness issues within the shot, even if the preview takes a test shot, you still can't see the adjustment needed and just have to keep taking test shots?

I just thought it would be nice to make an adjustment and be able to see the result before shooting. I enjoy taking shots looking through the viewfinder. I find it clearer and a better connection to what I'm shooting. The challenge for me is to know enough about the camera & lens, to get the shot I see through the viewfinder.

Example: I took a test shot in my Villa. The windows have a view, but it was very bright outside. I took the shot and the view was over exposed, almost completely white. I adjusted the exposure mode and proceeded to take shot after shot to balance the interior and the exterior view out the window.

Is their a better way to approach these kind of shots?
A great exercise to help understand and visualize what's going on and how exposure affects the image is to put the camera in spot metering mode and use live view. Then point the spot meter at the light and dark areas and see what happens to the overall scene.
06-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you are going to use fill flash for the interior, just meter your shot for the outside scene, using the Manual mode, then reframe to include the interior as you wish, activate your flash and fire your shot. Just make sure the shutter speed is within the flash sync range. However, you will need to choose where your main focus will be.