Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-1mkII missing focus only in LV

This is a weird issue. Today I noticed that my K-1mkII is clearly missing focus in liveview only. When I take the same picture twice, once in normal mode and once in liveview, then the latter one is unsharp. And it seems to do in consistently too. It does it with all lenses.

What my be causing this? Anything I can do?

06-01-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just did quick experiment

It is dark outside so in the darkish kitchen,
Lens SMC DA 40 Limited + K-1ll
1/40 F2.8 ISO 6400
via OVF nice and sharp
via LV not so sharp
via LV ( resting my elbow on something ) nice and sharp
There is much more vibration while taking photo via LV , it might be just that
06-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the same uninteresting picture on a tripod. Left is normal, right is via live view. Both with the same lens. F4, 1/4sec, ISO100.
Attached Images

06-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you use self timer?

If you increase speed and iso significantly, do you see improvement?

06-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are quite a few live view AF settings- which mode are you in? The default (multi-point) is faster but not guaranteed to focus on the center of the image.

Also, a few sanity checks: if you're using a lens newer than the camera, have you updated to the latest firmware? To rule out lens-specific issues, have you tried the same test with an SDM/DC lens (if this one was screwdrive) or vice versa?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Do you use self timer?

If you increase speed and iso significantly, do you see improvement?
Yes, I did use the self timer on 2 seconds for the above pictures.

When increasing speed and iso it does not improve.

---------- Post added 01-06-21 at 17:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are quite a few live view AF settings- which mode are you in? The default (multi-point) is faster but not guaranteed to focus on the center of the image.

Also, a few sanity checks: if you're using a lens newer than the camera, have you updated to the latest firmware? To rule out lens-specific issues, have you tried the same test with an SDM/DC lens (if this one was screwdrive) or vice versa?
I used spot focus in both modes.

In this case I was using the new FA HD 43 limited. But the same difference occurs when using my DFA 28-105.

I have the latest firmware 1.20
06-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Shutter vibrations might also be an issue. I'd try EFCS or forcing a shutter speed >= 1/250s to see if that improves anything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shutter vibrations might also be an issue. I'd try EFCS or forcing a shutter speed >= 1/250s to see if that improves anything.
I don't know what EFCS is. If it's the electronic shutter option then I've already tried that which doesn't help. I just now tried setting it to 1/250s. Also no improvement over focusing via the OVF.
06-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another test with a different uninteresting subject. Outside this time. Tripod, 2 seconds timer, SR off, 1/2000s, F4.0, ISO100. Both focus types in spot focus. Left is OVF, right is liveview. It seems like it's focusing behind the center spot.
Attached Images

06-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Did you try central spot focus only in Live View? How about "Select" focus mode and using another area to auto focus? Same missed focus?
06-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Left is OVF, right is liveview. It seems like it's focusing behind the center spot.
What is your AF setting for LV ? Can you post some pictures of your menu settings.
06-01-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Did you try central spot focus only in Live View? How about "Select" focus mode and using another area to auto focus? Same missed focus?
This is what I was thinking. Spot focus might just be on an ill-defined area. Select focus to ensure there's sufficient contrast at the point of focus.
06-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus peaking might be a help here so you can nail down the focus in live view. I agree this is very odd.
06-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think BarryE may be onto something. If the contrast focus system of Liveview is seeing a white area only, it can't get a good focus because there's nothing to optimize contrast on. VF focusing uses a more precise phase focus which may explain why it's getting a good focus. Try this. Switch to manual focus in Liveview mode. Using a magnified view, obtain a critical focus and take a shot. Now switch to AF and depress the shutter button halfway and see if the camera changes the focus setting. Take a shot here also so you can compare it with the manually focused shot. Repeat this process for a subject which has details everywhere (like a halftone photo) and see if the focus changes with Liveview after manually getting a critical focus point. If not BarryE is probably right and the lack of focusable detail in the image (where the focus point is located) is your most likely cause.
06-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #15
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Finally someone share a similar problem. My K5IIs and K3III do that, but only with certain lenses. There must be some communication deviation between the body and lens. I believe it can be calibrated in the factory but that means a trip to the service centre.

Last edited by sbc; 06-01-2021 at 06:23 PM.