Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2021, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Live View CDAF is not always as accurate as I would hope, sometimes significantly worse than PDAF or manual focus (using magnification.) Assuming the camera is set to spot focus with the spot on a well lighted subject of reasonable contrast, are there any menu items that can affect CDAF accuracy?

06-02-2021, 12:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok, this morning I did some more testing... Some suggested to use the select focus instead of spot focus and I wanted to quickly try that. At first I thought that that resolved the issues. Which is great of course! But when I returned to spot focus again I could no longer reproduce the error?! I cannot just let that go and forget about it without knowing what caused it.

Only after some more extensive testing, trying to reproduce the error, it came back. In both spot AF and select AF. I also noticed that the colors in photos taken with LV seem desaturated in comparison to photos taken through the OVF. It can also be seen in the test photos that I posted earlier in this thread.

This maybe a stupid theory of mine, but could it be caused by the sensor heating up? Or because it's used longer in live view mode? In live view the sensor is used to feed information to the screen constantly. But when using the OVF it is "resting" until the actual picture is taken.

I find this so strange, because in my K-5 I am so used to AF in live view being much more precise. There it would seem the other way round.

Last edited by Clavius; 06-02-2021 at 02:53 AM.
06-02-2021, 03:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Overheating sensor would, I think, results in more noise. Your problem is very odd.
06-02-2021, 04:14 AM   #19
dlhawes

My guess is that the camera's internals are slightly maladjusted such that the distance from the lens to the sensor isn't the same as the distance from the lens to the focusing sensor. You may have compensated for that using the AF microadjustment function for viewfinder focus, so that's coming out right, but that compensation doesn't apply to live-view focus.

06-02-2021, 04:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Did you try central spot focus only in Live View? How about "Select" focus mode and using another area to auto focus? Same missed focus?
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
My guess is that the camera's internals are slightly maladjusted such that the distance from the lens to the sensor isn't the same as the distance from the lens to the focusing sensor. You may have compensated for that using the AF microadjustment function for viewfinder focus, so that's coming out right, but that compensation doesn't apply to live-view focus.
No, I have no microadjustments active. Menu for microadjustments is set to 1 / defaults.
06-02-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Unregistered User

I have found that Tamron 70-200 are unable to nail focus in Live View on K-5. Why? I never understood. Always back or front focus. But OVF no problem.

Then there is the problem that when you focus the lens it is fully open and if stopped down when shooting there may be a shift in focus, called focus shift. I have had that on a couple of lenses. The OVF focus knows this and compensates while LV focus seeks maximum contrast.

---------- Post added 06-02-21 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Ok, this morning I did some more testing... Some suggested to use the select focus instead of spot focus and I wanted to quickly try that. At first I thought that that resolved the issues. Which is great of course! But when I returned to spot focus again I could no longer reproduce the error?! I cannot just let that go and forget about it without knowing what caused it.

Only after some more extensive testing, trying to reproduce the error, it came back. In both spot AF and select AF. I also noticed that the colors in photos taken with LV seem desaturated in comparison to photos taken through the OVF. It can also be seen in the test photos that I posted earlier in this thread.

This maybe a stupid theory of mine, but could it be caused by the sensor heating up? Or because it's used longer in live view mode? In live view the sensor is used to feed information to the screen constantly. But when using the OVF it is "resting" until the actual picture is taken.

I find this so strange, because in my K-5 I am so used to AF in live view being much more precise. There it would seem the other way round.
Are you shooting in strong light and using LV you may get light leaks through the viewfinder. Make sure to always cover the OVF.
06-03-2021, 04:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Then there is the problem that when you focus the lens it is fully open and if stopped down when shooting there may be a shift in focus, called focus shift. I have had that on a couple of lenses. The OVF focus knows this and compensates while LV focus seeks maximum contrast.
I'm not sure. OVF focus is wide open, but live view is done at F4, perhaps even lower if there is a lot of light. That said field of view is wider when stopped down. At which apertures the actual pictures are taken?

06-03-2021, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Are you shooting in strong light and using LV you may get light leaks through the viewfinder. Make sure to always cover the OVF.

Covering the OVF resolves all issues! I hadn't thought of that, because that wasn't necessary with my K-5. The viewfinder of the K-1 is much larger and brighter of course, and lets in much more light through the other direction too.

I'm so happy that my camera isn't broken. Embarrassed, but happy.
06-03-2021, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Covering the OVF resolves all issues! I hadn't thought of that, because that wasn't necessary with my K-5. The viewfinder of the K-1 is much larger and brighter of course, and lets in much more light through the other direction too.

Covering the viewfinder is key for exposure too, at times. Just get in the habit of doing it. Wearing black/dark colours can also be useful as I found out when I had some odd results after wearing a white t-shirt on a sunny day. I just cover the viewfinder automatically when I'm MUP/remote etc. on sunny days.
06-03-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #25
dlhawes

No, I have no microadjustments active. Menu for microadjustments is set to 1 / defaults.
That being the case, I strongly suspect the camera is "broken". My suggestion that the camera itself is not properly adjusted was based on my own experience and learning curve with respect to a K-1 I eventually had to send back to be repaired.
06-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No need to be embarrassed- I have learned through your experience! Perhaps others have as well. I do usually cover the VF when shooting on tripod, but not always if in a well-shaded spot. However, that has always been to address proper exposure. I would never have guessed AF would be affected! I shall now always do so when using LV!!
06-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax includes a viewfinder cover in the box just for this kind of problem.
06-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And, LV is not always done on a tripod, so the covering of the OVF is always important both for AF and for exposure!
06-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cover

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Pentax includes a viewfinder cover in the box just for this kind of problem.
I think one of my MZ-S camera straps has one on it and a remote shutter release on the other side.
06-06-2021, 04:44 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Wearing black/dark colours can also be useful as I found out when I had some odd results after wearing a white t-shirt on a sunny day.
Although for different reasons (flash meter), the portrait photographer's standard garb is black t shirt.

---------- Post added 06-06-21 at 12:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
But in LV focussing is done "on the sensor".....there can be no misalignment.