Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2021, 01:56 AM - 23 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The joy of Pentax and the K1ii

Sometimes as a Pentax user, i feel like that tree when i get asked what I use to take photos.. the common question. when I say "Pentax", I say it with pride. Often though, if it's not the other big brands they really don't know anything else.

What can I say, as an amateur photographer wondering about how to go about making better images and to find the best quality photo I can... the quality of my gear never seems to worry me, I'm confident I can get the photo I imagine before I take the shot with Pentax. The full frame camera is perfect as I had a couple of carry over lenses from the film days, even though I don't use them so much now. I don't use the biggest and the best lenses as I really don't have the budget and the wife to allow me to get them so I use a lot the 28 - 105mmand then these 70-200mm, 14mm, 31mm, and a macro lens when I feel like it.

I drove from Cairns to Melbourne with the intention of taking photos to keep, I didn't have a plan but to only spend one day in Melbourne and the rest just moving around while I visited people.. the camera didn't always tag along, unfortunately. I was lucky to get some nice weather and nice scenery when I had it with me

There are Pentax users out there somewhere!!

The K1ii is the best camera I have ever owned, it took a little bit to get to know it, but now that I do, I love it, I love that my fingers know exactly where every button is, what the dials do and at what ease everything is to do on the camera. I know it's not the ultimate camera and it has its flaws, so I'm told but to be honest, none bother me.

Maybe I'm nuts but sometimes I think my camera has feelings when I see the images. When I came back from my trip, I noticed on gumtree that someone selling all their Pentax gear as they were getting out of Pentax, I thought about it for a while and after I sat down beside my camera, I felt like there's no way in the world I would switch brands

Here are a few more pics from the trip

06-08-2021, 02:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great images Ben.

Pentax, and the K-1 Mark II specifically, will do me.
06-08-2021, 02:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice Moto. Looks like you enjoyed your trip. I do like those clear blue skies myself.
06-08-2021, 02:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a cracking post and some great images there. Cairns to Melbourne is quite the road trip !! I'm now at an age (and also the type of person) where I don't care what other people think and I actually think of being a Pentax user as something of a badge of honour....who wants to be a sheep?

I love my K-1 and can't imagine parting with it....it's an amazing camera.

06-08-2021, 02:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Enjoyed your post and your images, look forward to more in the future!

The K1 MkII is much more of a camera than I'll ever master, but I do enjoy the ergonomics, the viewfinder and of course the results
06-08-2021, 03:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Enjoyed your post and your images, look forward to more in the future!

The K1 MkII is much more of a camera than I'll ever master, but I do enjoy the ergonomics, the viewfinder and of course the results

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
What a cracking post and some great images there. Cairns to Melbourne is quite the road trip !! I'm now at an age (and also the type of person) where I don't care what other people think and I actually think of being a Pentax user as something of a badge of honour....who wants to be a sheep?

I love my K-1 and can't imagine parting with it....it's an amazing camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Very nice Moto. Looks like you enjoyed your trip. I do like those clear blue skies myself.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Great images Ben.

Pentax, and the K-1 Mark II specifically, will do me.
Thanks for the nice comments, the blue skies were persistent which were nice, I don't mind a clean sky. The road trip took me 13 days, it wasn't long enough but I had to get back to the Queensland border before it was locked down.

i think we all wear the Pentax badge with pride, and one day when I see another Pentax shooter out there in the wild.. (it's rare these days) we shall have a good time.
I realised that I have never used another brand of camera except for the Minolta my dad gave me to use when I went on a school excursion, I then saved my money to buy a Pentax, the rest is history
06-08-2021, 03:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn, next time you head south, flick me a pm and we can get a few other locals to meet up and share the Pentax vibe, nice shot and well done on finding some blue sky weather

06-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MotoRider Quote

Sometimes as a Pentax user, i feel like that tree when i get asked what I use to take photos.. the common question. when I say "Pentax", I say it with pride. Often though, if it's not the other big brands they really don't know anything else.

What can I say, as an amateur photographer wondering about how to go about making better images and to find the best quality photo I can... the quality of my gear never seems to worry me, I'm confident I can get the photo I imagine before I take the shot with Pentax. The full frame camera is perfect as I had a couple of carry over lenses from the film days, even though I don't use them so much now. I don't use the biggest and the best lenses as I really don't have the budget and the wife to allow me to get them so I use a lot the 28 - 105mmand then these 70-200mm, 14mm, 31mm, and a macro lens when I feel like it.

I drove from Cairns to Melbourne with the intention of taking photos to keep, I didn't have a plan but to only spend one day in Melbourne and the rest just moving around while I visited people.. the camera didn't always tag along, unfortunately. I was lucky to get some nice weather and nice scenery when I had it with me

There are Pentax users out there somewhere!!

The K1ii is the best camera I have ever owned, it took a little bit to get to know it, but now that I do, I love it, I love that my fingers know exactly where every button is, what the dials do and at what ease everything is to do on the camera. I know it's not the ultimate camera and it has its flaws, so I'm told but to be honest, none bother me.

Maybe I'm nuts but sometimes I think my camera has feelings when I see the images. When I came back from my trip, I noticed on gumtree that someone selling all their Pentax gear as they were getting out of Pentax, I thought about it for a while and after I sat down beside my camera, I felt like there's no way in the world I would switch brands

Here are a few more pics from the trip

Great shots, i have hardly touched mine hopefully be able to get out more in the near future
06-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some really nice photos, and I'd say there's nothing about the gear holding you back. I can't imagine selling my Pentax either.
06-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always love it when it starting to rain on photo shoots. All the Canikon guys shelter there camera's under there coat, while i simply keep shooting and let my camera get soaking wet without any problem
And of course give myself enough time to keep waving to the Conikon guys LOL
06-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #11

Great post and photos. I am a Pentaxian since my first K10D (15years ?), love the rendering of colour and loads of built in features, my K10 is dead putting in the dehumidifier storage for many years, now my main camera is K1 and K3iii.

P.S. I don't have the aesthetic sense and most of my photos are bad
06-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great post and thanks for sharing! I have an original K-1 and still very happy with it. TBO the cameras better than my skills demand but it keeps my happy!
06-08-2021, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
A couple years ago I attended our niece's wedding. I tried to stay out of the hired pro and his assistants' way, taking ad-hoc 'filler' shots. After all, the hired gun can't be everywhere. I used my K-3, grip, 540 flash and a few lenses, but mostly the 18-135. The pro didn't give a damn about the phones, tablets and P&S cameras but I kept getting the stink eye, even when just standing well off to the side. He and his team weren't shooting with Pentax gear, but he obviously recognized something pro-level and wasn't happy to have ANY competition.

I wonder what he would have thought of my K-1 kit. And while I wouldn't have wished for rain at my niece's wedding, would have loved to see his face if I were shooting in the wet telling the (hopefully sheltered) wedding party my gear was weatherproof.
06-08-2021, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MotoRider Quote
We are the brave, stand-alone trees – the trees that are noticed, not just other trees in the forest.

When the other guys get that quizzical look when I say "Pentax," I like to follow up with, "You may not be familiar with it. You can't buy Pentax at a big-box store."
06-08-2021, 08:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Really enjoyed your reflections on your photography, your camera equipment and most importantly on your personal reflections on Pentax ownership.