Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2021, 05:14 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Unsharp image when on tripod.

In 2016 I shot some images with the K-1 on tripod and with 12 s timer. SR automatically turned off. Horizon correction on.

I could not get a sharp image. Found help on the forum and turned on or off something but can´t remember what it was.

Anyone that remembers?

06-12-2021, 05:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recently the K3iii was implicated in some da shutter shock concerns that appear to be related to horizon correction being turned on. You might try turning that off.
06-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can right click on your screen name and get a chronological list of the threads you have started.
06-12-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Recently the K3iii was implicated in some da shutter shock concerns that appear to be related to horizon correction being turned on. You might try turning that off.
I am trying to figure out if it is the same problem. The K-1 no longer has this problem.

---------- Post added 06-12-21 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You can right click on your screen name and get a chronological list of the threads you have started.
I did not start a thread back then. Others had the issue so there were thread already. Not sure I posted...

Have searched without finding...

06-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you shooting using the VF or using Liveview? If using liveview, switch off AF and do a manual focus using the magnifier (one of the best ways to critically focus on a tripod if the subject lends itself). It could be that you're using the electronic shutter which should be fine for stationary subjects but you should have that switched off if your scene has a lot of motion in it (it can create motion artifacts). If this gets you a sharp image, switch back to AF and use the VF to pinpoint your focus point and refocus and see if the focus changes - might be an issue with the AF system.

Not sure if my comment about the electronic shutter is applicable to a 12 second exposure but the horizon correction others have already mentioned could certainly be a cause as well, especially if it decides to change the horizon line during that 12 seconds (any noise in the system could make it do that).
06-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
In 2016 I shot some images with the K-1 on tripod and with 12 s timer. SR automatically turned off. Horizon correction on.

I could not get a sharp image. Found help on the forum and turned on or off something but can´t remember what it was.

Anyone that remembers?
What lens were you using ?
06-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
what lens were you using ?
dfa24-70

---------- Post added 06-12-21 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Are you shooting using the VF or using Liveview? If using liveview, switch off AF and do a manual focus using the magnifier (one of the best ways to critically focus on a tripod if the subject lends itself). It could be that you're using the electronic shutter which should be fine for stationary subjects but you should have that switched off if your scene has a lot of motion in it (it can create motion artifacts). If this gets you a sharp image, switch back to AF and use the VF to pinpoint your focus point and refocus and see if the focus changes - might be an issue with the AF system.

Not sure if my comment about the electronic shutter is applicable to a 12 second exposure but the horizon correction others have already mentioned could certainly be a cause as well, especially if it decides to change the horizon line during that 12 seconds (any noise in the system could make it do that).
The problem was fixed in firmware. I am trying to figure out if it is the same problem with the K-3 III

06-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
He mention using the 12 second self timer. I don’t think he said what the exposure duration was.
06-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote

Anyone that remembers?
May be it is a movement of the tripod caused by the mirror. The 12s timer does not flip up the mirror when pressing the shutter release, but waits 12s and then flips up the mirror directly before the exposure. It's quite different from 2s timer, which flips up the mirror at once to calm down the swinging caused by the mirror.
06-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
Unregistered User

He mention using the 12 second self timer. I don’t think he said what the exposure duration was.
12 second timer, not exposure. The exposure was a fast enough one.

---------- Post added 06-12-21 at 07:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by siegbert Quote
May be it is a movement of the tripod caused by the mirror. The 12s timer does not flip up the mirror when pressing the shutter release, but waits 12s and then flips up the mirror directly before the exposure. It's quite different from 2s timer, which flips up the mirror at once to calm down the swinging caused by the mirror.
No, it was something wrong in the software, you had to turn something off to make the problem go away. Now the problem is no more for K-1 since they fixed it in FW.

But K-3 III has a similar problem when using 2s timer and horizon compensation on. I wan´t to know if this was the problem K-1 had or if it was something else.
06-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My bad. I read that wrong. In that case, the reference to the electronic shutter could still apply, however it sound's like something else since he said "sharp image".
06-12-2021, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Isn’t Shake Reduction supposed to be turned off if you use a tripod? Was it?
06-13-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boydmaine Quote
Isn’t Shake Reduction supposed to be turned off if you use a tripod? Was it?
I think he is looking at a specific flaw with the K-3 III where if the horizon correction feature is on, the sensor is still moving during exposure when taken with both the 2 second and 12 second timers. This, regardless of whether the SR is on or off (normally it would be off in this situation, but you can force it on).

He remembers the K-1 having had a similar issue that was eventually fixed with a firmware update.
06-13-2021, 04:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So we would hope the horizon correction problem with the K-3iii will also be fixed in a firmware update like it was for the K-1. But is it too much to hope there will be a reviewer firmware update? Oh well...
06-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But why would you use automatic horizon correction on a tripod while you have all the time of the world to adjust you're ball head so the camera itself is horizontal ????
I think this function is totally useless when using a tripod. (or am i missing something?)

Last edited by Sakura; 06-13-2021 at 11:50 AM.