Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #16
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Boydmaine Quote
Isn’t Shake Reduction supposed to be turned off if you use a tripod? Was it?
Yes it was off.

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 09:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
But why would you use automatic horizon correction on a tripod while you have all the time of the world to adjust you're ball head so the camera itself is horizontal ????
I think this function is totally useless when using a tripod. (or am i missing something?)
Well, this is a function that you turn on and leave on. It works perfectly on the K-1 today but in the past there was some issues and I am trying to figure out if it is the same problem the K-1 had that the K-3 III has.

And I do not find it to be useless on a tripod. Why do you think that? If I miss level with one degree it will be visible in the final image but if HC is on it will be level and I do not have to crop the image. Saving pixels.

06-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
He remembers the K-1 having had a similar issue that was eventually fixed with a firmware update.
I vaguely remember that thread, though I don't remember the specifics of the resolution. In regards to this thread, I have been wondering if turning of the SR in combination with the horizon correction is the indirect cause (i.e. the timer is a red herring).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-13-2021 at 03:23 PM.
06-13-2021, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But why would you use automatic horizon correction on a tripod while you have all the time of the world to adjust you're ball head so the camera itself is horizontal ????
I think this function is totally useless when using a tripod. (or am i missing something?)
As the OP said, it's the sort of thing that you turn on and leave on. It shouldn't have this downside that appears when you use the two second timer. It's a bug. At a minimum Pentax should disable this feature if they can't make the two work together, but it is awfully handy if you have your camera really close to level to know the sensor will fix the last little bit for you.
06-13-2021, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I don't know if OP has the K-1 or K-1ii. I have the K-1:

So far as I know, none of the Pentax cameras auto-detect use of a tripod, but in all cases it is recommended that Shake Reduction be manually turned off when using a tripod. You have a couple options for configuring your K-1 to toggle this from buttons on the left side of the mirror box.

Further:
K-1 manual, page 56
The [Shake Reduction] of the <camera>4 menu is automatically set to [OFF] when the drive mode is set to [Self-timer], [Remote Control], or [Mirror Lock-up Shooting]. If you do not want to turn off the Shake Reduction function, set in [21 Auto SR Off] of the C3 menu.

The K-1 manual also says that Horizon Correction is limited to 2 degrees with SR off and 1 degree with SR on.

06-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #20
Unregistered User

To be clear i repeat my question:

In 2016 I shot some images with the K-1 on tripod and with 12 s timer. SR automatically turned off. Horizon correction on.

I could not get a sharp image. Found help on the forum and turned on or off something but canīt remember what it was.

Anyone that remembers?

The problem was fixed in Firmware so it is not an issue anymore but I want to know how it was avoided back before FW was fixed.
06-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
To be clear i repeat my question:

In 2016 I shot some images with the K-1 on tripod and with 12 s timer. SR automatically turned off. Horizon correction on.

I could not get a sharp image. Found help on the forum and turned on or off something but canīt remember what it was.

Anyone that remembers?

The problem was fixed in Firmware so it is not an issue anymore but I want to know how it was avoided back before FW was fixed.
If this was the post you refer to there is no clue what you did.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1-k-1-ii/334297-oof-images-scratching-my-head-post3833573.html

06-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least on the ball head I have it's a big time saver so that I don't have to spend all my time adjusting it to get it perfectly level (it might be less of an issue if I had a nicer ball head). I pretty much turn the feature on and never think about it again.

06-14-2021, 01:45 AM   #23
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
If this was the post you refer to there is no clue what you did.
OOF images.. Scratching my head. - PentaxForums.com
Thanks!

Yes it was the thread and yes the problem seems to have been the horizon correction.
06-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
At least on the ball head I have it's a big time saver so that I don't have to spend all my time adjusting it to get it perfectly level (it might be less of an issue if I had a nicer ball head). I pretty much turn the feature on and never think about it again.
Just use a water level, always leveled pictures
Attached Images

06-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks!

Yes it was the thread and yes the problem seems to have been the horizon correction.
Don't forget this part...

When in Live view there was no problem, only when using OVF

Steve
06-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #26
Unregistered User

Just use a water level, always leveled pictures
If it is built in and doing the job automatically there is no need for a water level.
06-14-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If it is built in and doing the job automatically there is no need for a water level.
Different strokes for different folk!

I do a lot of off-angle work and the last thing I need is for the camera to be second-guessing the composition, even with landscapes. I don't know for sure, but am fairly certain that none of the elements in the subject for the photo below were level or plumb, but I did know my composition before I set the tripod down.

Everything at Ebey's Landing is tilted.

Steve
11-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #28
Unregistered User

Firmware 1.21 on the K-3III seems to have fixed the problem. I think...