Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2021, 12:13 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,601
K1 - LiveView Zoom Manual Focusing

I've had my K1 for nearly 5 years now. It's a beast of a camera - way more camera than what I really need, except for Milky Way Landscapes. For this, I need every ounce of performance out of the sensor and I get it.

Most of the time, I have things setup, ready to go and everything goes just fine. However, things go bump in the night from time to time - and for various reasons, I need to manually refocus, in liveview with the zoom capability. Hence, my problem.

There are times that, regardless of what I do - I can not get into the capability to zoom within LiveView in order to refocus on a star. I can get in to LiveView, actually I shoot most of my shots from LiveView. At times, I just can not get into being able to zoom so as to refocus - regardless of what I do.

The vast majority of the time, I'm in Bulb and either 1) using the extended shutter time to shoot foregrounds (1, 2, 3, 4 minutes); or 2) using astrotracing to shoot the sky.

So, does someone have a foolproof approach/process of getting into the zoom capability within LiveView - regardless of what you may be doing or the current configuration of the camera?

- the idiot behind the camera.

06-14-2021, 02:07 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 298
Press the OK button and adjust level of magnification using the rear wheel.
06-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,520
Also, once you're in zoom mode, you can use the 4-way selector to move around the field to locate something to focus on (in Liveview). Once you've focused, any camera operation (including hitting the OK button again) will return you to normal mode. Hitting the OK button again should return you to the last used zoom factor.
06-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,177
I haven't had issues getting into zoom (press OK) but if you press the button to change focal point then that doesn't work (Ok then take you to center position). Maybe you were changing focal point?

I do however frequently have trouble finding stars to focus on (until you get focus close to right AND actually pointing at a star, you can't see them at all). I sometimes zoom magnification back a bit until I get approximate focus.

06-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,601
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Press the OK button and adjust level of magnification using the rear wheel.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Also, once you're in zoom mode, you can use the 4-way selector to move around the field to locate something to focus on (in Liveview). Once you've focused, any camera operation (including hitting the OK button again) will return you to normal mode. Hitting the OK button again should return you to the last used zoom factor.
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I haven't had issues getting into zoom (press OK) but if you press the button to change focal point then that doesn't work (Ok then take you to center position). Maybe you were changing focal point?

I do however frequently have trouble finding stars to focus on (until you get focus close to right AND actually pointing at a star, you can't see them at all). I sometimes zoom magnification back a bit until I get approximate focus.
Hi Guys, I've done it hundreds of times. It works well - well until it doesn't (for whatever reason). I just pulled out the K1 from my backpack - it's still setup exactly as it was when it came off the tripod (in astro tracking Bulb mode) the other night, and yes - pressing OK pops it right into zoom mode (there was a hint of some lag) but it works - 10 out of 10. My friend who I was out with, who now has his new K1 and he walked over and said did you try just [OK]? Yup - and no joy.... and I even turned on my flashlight to make sure I was hitting [OK].

So, right now I have no idea (which is bad for a retired software engineer).... Perhaps, I'm just going delusional. The only thing I can come up with is that I might not be pressing [OK] square on.

.... anyway, Thanks all!!!!

06-14-2021, 10:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,177
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Hi Guys, I've done it hundreds of times. It works well - well until it doesn't (for whatever reason). I just pulled out the K1 from my backpack - it's still setup exactly as it was when it came off the tripod (in astro tracking Bulb mode) the other night, and yes - pressing OK pops it right into zoom mode (there was a hint of some lag) but it works - 10 out of 10. My friend who I was out with, who now has his new K1 and he walked over and said did you try just [OK]? Yup - and no joy.... and I even turned on my flashlight to make sure I was hitting [OK].

So, right now I have no idea (which is bad for a retired software engineer).... Perhaps, I'm just going delusional. The only thing I can come up with is that I might not be pressing [OK] square on.

.... anyway, Thanks all!!!!

Are you sure you not in AF point selection mode (where arrows and OK button just centers the AF point)? Its easy to hit the little button just above the 4 way keypad (as I have done a number of times).
06-15-2021, 06:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,520
I have had that happen because something changed and the magnification lost track of what its last zoom value was, so immediately after hitting the OK button (if no magnification takes place), use the rear control dial to zoom to the level you want (rotate it to the right for increased zoom). After that, you should be able to toggle between magnification and normal using the OK button, with the last used zoom factor being memorized.

06-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,601
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Are you sure you not in AF point selection mode (where arrows and OK button just centers the AF point)? Its easy to hit the little button just above the 4 way keypad (as I have done a number of times).
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I have had that happen because something changed and the magnification lost track of what its last zoom value was, so immediately after hitting the OK button (if no magnification takes place), use the rear control dial to zoom to the level you want (rotate it to the right for increased zoom). After that, you should be able to toggle between magnification and normal using the OK button, with the last used zoom factor being memorized.
Afternoon Kiwi - Yea, that tripped me up a couple of years ago, and was one of the first things I checked. Bob, this is getting very close to what was occurring. That sequence sounds very familiar.

So, we drove 2 hours up to Sedona, grabbed a quick meal from the MickeyD's drive through with the teal colored arches. Drove back to the secret trailhead (yea, that's the Forest Service official trail name - everyone knows about it). Hiked 3/4 mile to the slick rock area, getting there right at early blue hour - setting up to shoot the milky way over Cathedral Rock. I even used auto focus to AF on the notch and yes flipped into manual focus. Checked a test shot for focus and framing (it all looked good - but when I got home that was even off). Shot for 3 hours, packed up - hiked out, then drove back home. .....and I don't have one single shot worth a dam. But, the view was magnificent and I had a good time. There were 2 other photographers also make the hike in, who lived in the area. We all exchanged where the best shooting locations are - added another 5 or 6 places to our list of spots. So, overall it was a worthwhile evening.

Even though we were a couple hundred feet above Oak Creek - the mosquitos still found us.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, capability, dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k-1 ii, k1, k1 liveview, liveview, pentax k-1, time, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone use an iPad as a larger Liveview for Focusing? Take-5-JB Photographic Technique 7 12-10-2018 04:49 PM
Liveview on the K1 Kim Coxon Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 10-03-2018 05:22 AM
White noise on Liveview screen Pentax K1 tigertimwu Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 06-20-2016 05:26 PM
K20D, LiveView and manual focusing skb0 Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 07-19-2010 05:40 PM
K7 not focusing on LiveView onairda Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 09-03-2009 10:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top