Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2021, 04:26 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no , you need to do rest in "wrench" , hang-on I will grab my K-1.
right, wrench / 4 / reset ( the last one)
I had , kind of , similar problem.
I purchased used K-50 and Green button would not work with my M lenses.
Did look throughout all Menus , could not work it out.
Did full rest , all back to normal now.
give it a go

06-28-2021, 04:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leodp Quote
Reset camera: problem still persists, even after removing battery
You can use the smart dial set to exp. compensation, if you don't want to send the camera for repair.
06-28-2021, 05:18 AM   #18

Original Poster
i_trax: I did user reset AND then wrench/4/reset+battery out.

biz-engineer: yes, indeed, or go MF/correct compensation/AF. It's as if AE button has limited functionality. MAy be that the FW flash had a minor twitch? Sending for repair is above my possibilities now that I just bought the K1. If I got som spare money maybe...
...maybe I'll go for a MF lens, like my last Cyklop 85mm/1.5, or something else funny rather than pay for a button behavior change :-)
06-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

i_trax: I did user reset AND then wrench/4/reset+battery out.

biz-engineer: yes, indeed, or go MF/correct compensation/AF. It's as if AE button has limited functionality. MAy be that the FW flash had a minor twitch? Sending for repair is above my possibilities now that I just bought the K1. If I got som spare money maybe...
...maybe I'll go for a MF lens, like my last Cyklop 85mm/1.5, or something else funny rather than pay for a button behavior change :-)
If you just bought it, than you have some kind of warranty or don't you? I just had a look at my KP and I can set exposure compensation button to another function. I have gone through the firmware updates to see if Ricoh turned AE in an FX button like on the KP. But I would consider using the smart function and the function wheel to set AE instead of buying another lens. What lens are you using when this strange behaviours happens?

06-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you just bought it, than you have some kind of warranty or don't you? I just had a look at my KP and I can set exposure compensation button to another function. I have gone through the firmware updates to see if Ricoh turned AE in an FX button like on the KP. But I would consider using the smart function and the function wheel to set AE instead of buying another lens. What lens are you using when this strange behaviours happens?
It happens with every lens, when I'm in AF mode. I just bought it... second hand, from a private seller.
It's no big deal, I was thinking that maybe I cannot correctly use it, but most probably it's a defect, given the inputs from you all.

---------- Post added 06-28-21 at 06:36 PM ----------

Re-flashed latest firmware, still issue remains.
06-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Note: I don’t have the k-1/k-1ii.

On my k-3 and KP I see where I can use button customization to change various buttons. For example the raw button can be assigned to do exposure compensation. Maybe try changing the custom buttons to give you access using an alternate button.

ADDED:
Looking at the KP, I remembered that you have that third dial that customizes things. Is one of those geared towards exposure compensation?

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-28-2021 at 12:31 PM.
06-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You seem to be in need of a repair. Sorry to say that... there’s a lot of fuss over the alternatives but I think it’s going to be frustrating.

06-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Note: I don’t have the k-1/k-1ii.

On my k-3 and KP I see where I can use button customization to change various buttons. For example the raw button can be assigned to do exposure compensation. Maybe try changing the custom buttons to give you access using an alternate button.

ADDED:
Looking at the KP, I remembered that you have that third dial that customizes things. Is one of those geared towards exposure compensation?

No custom buttons customizable to AE, but yes:
-> third dial cam be set to AE. I like to have it at ISO, and AE is next to it, easy reachable
-> second option is change focus to MF, AE+back-wheel works correctly, change back to AF

Thanks to all
06-28-2021, 11:16 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes , there is no Fx3 option on K-1
06-29-2021, 12:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

No custom buttons customizable to AE, but yes:
-> third dial cam be set to AE. I like to have it at ISO, and AE is next to it, easy reachable
-> second option is change focus to MF, AE+back-wheel works correctly, change back to AF

Thanks to all
You shouldn't have focus using those buttons. Take a look at your C5 Button Customization settings for P. That is were the dial use settings are customized for P, SV, AV, TV, M & B...
06-29-2021, 01:15 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
You shouldn't have focus using those buttons. Take a look at your C5 Button Customization settings for P. That is were the dial use settings are customized for P, SV, AV, TV, M & B...
C5 does not exist.

If you mean Camera5->ButtonCustomization->E-Dial Programming I have

P: Tv (front) Av (Back) ->P (green button)
as per default. Icould change it to:
P: AE (front) P-Shift (Back) P LINE (green button)
but then I would lose combined Tv & Av addressability, and in any case the AE button would still be useless.

I'm not looking for a way to configure AE, as I already have enough options for it.
I'm looking a way to correctly use the AE button to change AE settings, instead of having it focus!
06-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

C5 does not exist.

I'm looking a way to correctly use the AE button to change AE settings, instead of having it focus!
Yes I meant Camera 5....there is no way to use the AE button to change auto exposure settings. It is meant to lock the exposure for X amount of time depending how you have your camera set up........ If your K1 camera is auto focusing in any manner besides either the shutter or AF button then something is wrong with it.
06-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How am I supposed to use the +/- expo compensation button? According to the manual (page 50) when I press it I can use the back wheel to change the expo compensation.
I have been following this thread at a distance. Here are exactly two bullet points:
  • If exposure compensation on your K-1 does not work the same as it does on your K-70 or the K-1 when new, even after a full reset (both from the set-up menu and custom menu), there is a problem with the electronics of your K-1.
  • Potential causes would be something like water incursion or botched repair attempt.
This will not go away on its own. Sorry

Steve
06-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been following this thread at a distance. Here are exactly two bullet points:
  • If exposure compensation on your K-1 does not work the same as it does on your K-70 or the K-1 when new, even after a full reset (both from the set-up menu and custom menu), there is a problem with the electronics of your K-1.
  • Potential causes would be something like water incursion or botched repair attempt.
This will not go away on its own. Sorry

Steve
The one thing that might be still not yet tried is to remove the battery from the camera for several days / a week to force a complete loss of power from the backup battery. Typically not recommended due to the limited number of cycles of deep discharge on those batteries (500? 1000? I don't recall) but it has helped in other weird situations - uncommon but possible. On the other hand - I feel like something bad has gone wrong inside and this may be a real nasty situation waiting to get worse.
06-30-2021, 12:29 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

long shot but....

It happens with every lens, when I'm in AF mode. I just bought it... second hand, from a private seller.
It's no big deal, I was thinking that maybe I cannot correctly use it, but most probably it's a defect, given the inputs from you all.

---------- Post added 06-28-21 at 06:36 PM ----------

Re-flashed latest firmware, still issue remains.
have you checked the Serial Number registry?
Pentax K-1 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
there might be some comments about your K-1 past problems / history