Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Are you saying it looks better with the grip or without it? Myself, I like things to look "technical" so I prefer with the grip as far as that goes. Also I would think that if you are pro the clients will be moe impressed the bigger the camera is - in the days when wedding photogs were using Bronica and Mamiya 6x6 MFs, some cheated by putting 35mm film backs on them [MINT] Zenza Bronica SQ 135 N 35mm Film Back Holder For SQ from Japan | eBay . Cheaper than 120 film but still made them stand out from the guests with their K1000s.
No, he's saying he does not give a rat's behind how it looks, as long as it works well.

07-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
+1 - me too.

I think the grip would help a bit but not as much as for smaller camera bodies.
I own the grip as well, but I never use it. For me it was a waste of my money. The ergonomics are not better and the grip makes the camera much heavier.
07-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Like I said I personally love the way it looks but I find myself leaving it at home because of the added weight and size that makes it difficult to fit into my day bag without taking the lens off. The funny part is I always end up putting it back on just to take it off hahah
07-02-2021, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #34
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Are you saying it looks better with the grip or without it? ...
Boolean expression evaluates to "0b" (false). In other words, the answer to that question is, "No." Actually, I think what I said is that I don't care about that. It doesn't look better with OR without the grip.

07-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I bought a grip for my K-3 because it was cheap and everyone said it's needed... I never liked using it. It's been on my shelf for months now...

But I'm glad I bought it because otherwise how would I know if I'm missing having one?...
07-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1 II came with the grip. Used it for a few months. I don't anymore. For me personally there was no added benefit. Wasn't much of a bother either so definitely keeping it. Does that help?
07-03-2021, 06:20 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I use the grip for either my K-1 or K-3 (I have the grips for both cameras) under three circumstances: I expect to shoot a number of images in portrait mode, I expect to take a lot of images and want extended battery power, I want the added weight because I am shooting with long lenses without a tripod (the weight dampens oscillation speed). In short, I only carry a grip into the field when I specifically plan to use it.

As both of my grips were part of a bundle at reduced cost from a separate retail purchase, they are worth that cost. While in the relative scheme of photo gear prices they are not that expensive as a separate retail item, I'd have to think pretty hard about spending the money on a grip versus putting the money toward the incremental cost of better optics.