Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To Grip or not to Grip? Thats my question

So just to see various people's take on this. When using the K1 do you prefer to use a grip or do you prefer to forgo it and why? I personally love the way the grip looks but many times I find myself leaving it at home. What do you guys think?

06-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I understand why people use it but for me grip equals more weight so no grip for me.
06-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In addition to weight, if the grip were attached the camera wouldn't fit any of the smaller shoulder bags bags that I tend to use. So now I don't use a grip anymore on the k1ii, there's no need for balancing since the largest lens I have is the 28-105, but I had one for the k3ii for using with the da* 60-250.
06-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought about getting one, and attached a demo grip in a shop. I was unpleasantly surprised by how off center the OVF became. It should not have been a shock but I didn't buy one and took it off my wish list.

06-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my grip with K-1 ii with large telephoto lenses like the 80-200 FA* and 150-450 and when using a tripod. For handheld I don’t need it. I have large hands but grip is fine without grip.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 06-30-2021 at 03:20 PM.
06-30-2021, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the grip for all of my DSLRs

for me they work

holds extra SD card

extra battery

and the grips for the K 1 II, K 3 and K 3 II allow me to use AA batteries available almost every where if an emergency comes up

easily removeable should I choose to do so
06-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use grips on my K-5s when I am doing flamenco photography in a nightclub where most of my photographs are verticals; otherwise, I don't use them because of the extra weight.

06-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have the grip for all of my DSLRs

for me they work

holds extra SD card

extra battery

and the grips for the K 1 II, K 3 and K 3 II allow me to use AA batteries available almost every where if an emergency comes up

easily removeable should I choose to do so
I have a grip for my k-3, my em1 mk1, and I had a grip for my Sony a7rii (my dad has the camera and it doesn’t fit the a7riii). I have almost NEVER used them. They seem on paper to make sense fit all the reasons stated above. But weight and size usually win over taking them. In traveling I might pack the grip “just in case” but it seems easier to bring extra batteries and chargers.
06-30-2021, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have a grip for my k-3, my em1 mk1, and I had a grip for my Sony a7rii (my dad has the camera and it doesn’t fit the a7riii). I have almost NEVER used them. They seem on paper to make sense fit all the reasons stated above. But weight and size usually win over taking them. In traveling I might pack the grip “just in case” but it seems easier to bring extra batteries and chargers.
it's a matter of personal choice

one size does not always fit all
06-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

The last camera I had a grip for was the K5II. I didn't like using the camera with it and I ended up selling it after giving it a few more tries. FWIW sold the camera with it shortly thereafter IIRC.

For me there's no ergonomic benefit, I have no problem using a Pentax 70-200 without having one so no balancing issue, and it's easier and a more compact carry/pack bring along an extra battery or two.

EDIT: On top of that my camera feels so much more secure with a SpiderPro handstrap on it and the grip wouldn't play well with one AFAICT.
06-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
So just to see various people's take on this. When using the K1 do you prefer to use a grip or do you prefer to forgo it and why? I personally love the way the grip looks but many times I find myself leaving it at home. What do you guys think?
I love the grip on all my cameras. Actually wish there was one for the 645z. Just makes it super comfortable to switch from landscape to portrait. All of the controls are in the same place!
But I can see why others don’t want or need one.
I’m just used to it I guess.
06-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

It just feels right to me, I have had them since the *ist D onwards, recently my
k1 had a small fall and it landed on the corner of the grip's battery tray saving the camera from damage, yes lucky, but I like them so much I purchased another one.
The extra battery life and spare sd card has saved me many a time, good luck on your choice
ps the best grip ever was for the Pentax Z1 PZ1, no battery in it but the built in handgrip strap made for a secure camera for 1 handed shooting
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/278584-sale-sold-pentax-fd...rap-z-1-a.html

Last edited by garywakeling; 06-30-2021 at 12:53 PM.
06-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
For me it's all about better balance in my large hands... when using my bigger "Ladies".
06-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bought my K-3 with the grip as part of a pretty sweet bundle. I had the grip on the camera for about an hour before I concluded "this just ain't gonna work for me" and sold it with appropriate discount on the Marketplace the next day. Have I missed it even once in the last seven years? Nope...but that is me. I have large hands and zero difficulty managing the camera in either vertical position. I also do a lot of work on-tripod and don't find the requirement of adding an L-bracket to the existing bulk that enticing.

Steve
06-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the grip when I know I will be shooting handheld portraits, and also to add a bit of weight to the camera to counterbalance my 600mm lens on the gimbal head.
Other than that, I don't use the grip.