Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Bought the first grip with the *ist D as it knew how to devour batteries. Blessed with larger hands, I liked the feel and have continued with grips ever since, although the battery problem no longer exists. Like some of the convenience of the grip, the ability to swtich to AA batteries, if needed, and the extra storage for a spare SD card.

06-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I got one for free with the KP I bought and it is my first grip. None of my other camera's have a grip. But I took it off once from the KP and I missed it instantly when taking a picture in portrait position. It makes the KP much more stable to work with. Had to get used to when you held the KP in that position that the OVF is in another position then when you turn the camera without a grip. But I cannot imagine that I now suddenly want one for my K-3 Mark II.
06-30-2021, 01:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I've pretty much used a grip on every camera I've ever owned that could have one, including film era. They pretty much stay on my camera and on occasion I will take it off as needed. I don't like having no grip with the last two fingers of my hand and I find it easier to balance with the grip on. Plus I like having the ease of the shutter button in normal position instead of stretching my hand over across the top of the camera for vertical shots.
06-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the grip for my KP. I like the feel and use of it and the extended battery use. The grip feels good in my hands. What I don't like is that it will not fit into my shoulder bag unless I remove the lens. I have five original Pentax batteries, which are in the bag at all times. Although there have been a few times when out walking with just the camera without the grip that the camera's battery started getting low and I didn't bring one of those extra batteries with me. Then the grip would have saved me. I have been looking for a slightly larger bag, but just haven't found one that I like.
Another thing about the grip, while you can set the camera settings to determine which battery is used first and the camera battery charge indicator will tell you the condition of the charge, I am not sure which battery it is measuring. The grip has to be removed first before you can change the battery in the camera, so I would rather have the camera's battery used last for times when I didn't get the grip battery changed.

It's a personal thing.

06-30-2021, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I completely agree with anyone stating it is a choice they like for them. I don’t think they are dumb - an entire marketplace of products revolves around them. I bought the one for the a7rii (3rd party cheap) because that camera has too small of a battery and I worried about it. The other grips were either gifts or came in a package deal.

As for portrait shooting… I started with manual crank manual metered film cameras. Using a grip feels unnatural to me. Most winder/motor drives of the past had no release button so they didn’t change portrait use. That feature is interesting but I never miss it - never having gotten used to it.

My advice is to try it if you can before buying. It could make a huge difference or it might just be Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) taking root.
06-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me the benefits it provides do not out weigh the added size and weight.
07-01-2021, 02:36 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I completely agree with anyone stating it is a choice they like for them. I don’t think they are dumb . . .
I never meant to imply that you were providing anything except your personal preference

I know you especially didn't meant to imply that if one chose to get a grip that was a bad decision

QuoteQuote:
My advice is to try it if you can before buying. It could make a huge difference or it might just be Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) taking root.
wise advice indeed

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-01-2021 at 03:24 AM.
07-01-2021, 03:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
So just to see various people's take on this. When using the K1 do you prefer to use a grip or do you prefer to forgo it and why? I personally love the way the grip looks but many times I find myself leaving it at home. What do you guys think?
I never remove the grip. (Except to remove and charge the battery in the body.)
07-01-2021, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #24
dlhawes

I have it, and leave it on the camera all the time. I couldn't care less how things look, as long as they function well, so aesthetics was not an issue for me. I think it improves the balance of the lens/camera combination, battery life, and my ability to shoot portrait-mode. I set the menu option to use the battery in the grip first, and only when that dies, to switch to the one in the camera, just so's I don't have to take the grip off the camera unless I have a serious battery emergency.
07-01-2021, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #25

I have a K-3 which came with a battery grip included, and a KP to which I added a grip when they were on sale late last year. I rarely use the K-3 grip - it makes the K-3 too awkward & bulky to be comfortable to carry around. Surprisingly, I like the KP with the grip attached - it integrates with the camera better, is better balanced & is more comfortable to use.
07-01-2021, 06:39 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I never meant to imply that you were providing anything except your personal preference

I know you especially didn't meant to imply that if one chose to get a grip that was a bad decision
Lol. All is good, I figured it best to simply clarify. I didn’t take offense.

---------- Post added 07-01-21 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
I have a K-3 which came with a battery grip included, and a KP to which I added a grip when they were on sale late last year. I rarely use the K-3 grip - it makes the K-3 too awkward & bulky to be comfortable to carry around. Surprisingly, I like the KP with the grip attached - it integrates with the camera better, is better balanced & is more comfortable to use.
That’s a useful perspective to hear. I think the Olympus em-1 grip is fairly comfortable and well integrated. I still don’t use it, but I can see how the KP grip could be different from the K-3 grip and be more to someone’s liking. (Of course the opposite could be true… )
07-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would not have bought one until I saw a mint one at 25% of new price from a major UK dealer (Wex). I don't think I shall take it on hikes but it's OK closer to home or car.There is also the point that it can take AA batteries which will always be available, everywhere.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
attached a demo grip in a shop. I was unpleasantly surprised by how off center the OVF became
Could youi explain what you mean? The K-1 grip is the same width as the body so I don't understand how it can make the OVF off-centre. [Edit] I suppose you mean in portrait orientation. But then your right arm/hand is much more comfortable and supportive of the weight than when curling over the top without a grip, and I would not expect the OVF to be in the centre.
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I couldn't care less how things look, as long as they function well, so aesthetics was not an issue for me.
Are you saying it looks better with the grip or without it? Myself, I like things to look "technical" so I prefer with the grip as far as that goes. Also I would think that if you are pro the clients will be moe impressed the bigger the camera is - in the days when wedding photogs were using Bronica and Mamiya 6x6 MFs, some cheated by putting 35mm film backs on them [MINT] Zenza Bronica SQ 135 N 35mm Film Back Holder For SQ from Japan | eBay . Cheaper than 120 film but still made them stand out from the guests with their K1000s.
07-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Could youi explain what you mean? The K-1 grip is the same width as the body so I don't understand how it can make the OVF off-centre. [Edit] I suppose you mean in portrait orientation. But then your right arm/hand is much more comfortable and supportive of the weight than when curling over the top without a grip, and I would not expect the OVF to be in the centre.
Yes, in portrait orientation my right hand was way over and the camera just looked and felt unbalanced with the OVF on the left as it would have to be.

Without the grip my right hand is much closer to the OVF in the portrait orientation. It just felt, well quite odd really.
07-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #29

I either have or have had battery grips for all my Pentax cameras from the K20 to my newest now the KP. I don't use them all the time but really appreciate how they make the camera balance better with a large telephoto lens, or when I am at an event and taking lots portrait orientation photos of people. I find the battery grip for the KP most useful.
07-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I understand why people use it but for me grip equals more weight so no grip for me.
+1 - me too.

I think the grip would help a bit but not as much as for smaller camera bodies.