Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2021, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #1

How Tough Is The K-1ii?

It's not like I'm going to pound nails with my K-1ii, but how tough is the camera? I know it has lots of seals and is built "tough" compared to other cameras, but what exactly does "tough" mean? I just want to know if I will need to get it repaired if I bump it against the side of the car while getting in/out or if it gets some rain on it. I am a clumsy person, but I really try to keep my cameras from getting damaged (I once fell down a step (thank you German unmarked, oddly placed step) but kept the camera from getting damaged by letting the rest of my body take the fall).

07-16-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Any camera that takes a hard fall onto rocks or concrete is probably gonna suffer, but it just depends exactly where and how hard it gets hit, etc. You probably also don't want to vibrate it to death on the floor of an off-roading jeep or something either. Cameras with mirrors are probably inherently more prone to damage than mirrorless models (if built to the same quality generally). A little bit of rain should cause no damage to your weather-sealed body.
07-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I haven't knocked it badly, but it feels very tough. I think my Z is tougher, but the body is so different. That camera I have fallen with, from a tall stepladder camera down onto grass/dirt. Messed me up, but didn't affect the camera.
07-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is not a fragile camera and will take some bumps and knocks it its stride, except on top of the pentaprism which has a plastic cover due to the GPS unit.

It is impossible to predict every accident of course, and give it enough abuse and it will show some mortality.

Some users have had them repaired after serious tripod falls, it will depend on what it hits. It may survive a soft grass fall for example. Lets try not to test it out eh?

07-16-2021, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Lets try not to test it out eh?
That's my feeling exactly!
07-16-2021, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1II is a well built, solid camera that is capable of taken a lot of use. That said it is impossible to predict the result of any particular impact. You might drop it 10 feet and if it lands right not show a mark. Or you might turn quickly and lightly bump it on something just wrong and cause damage. I'm sure no one can honestly say exactly how rugged it is in all situations. But I've used mine almost daily for both personal and work projects since May of 2016 and there is hardly a mark on it.

Wow, it seems hard to believe my camera is over 5 years old.............. What happened to the days of a new camera every year?
07-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Mine has taken some abuse, being used outdoors in all weather. I haven't dropped it, but in and out of vehicles, in and out of my pack, hanging on a Peak clip with a 300 mm on my backpack for 6 hour hikes. It is a workhorse.

07-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I broke several cameras, including Nikon F4, Pentax K1, … avoid really hard hits or constant banging. The camera will stop working suddenly, it is not always clear whether this was caused by long term impact, or a single hard hit.
K1 can take banging, weather, … but don’t force it.
07-16-2021, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmach47 Quote
How Tough Is The K-1ii?
K1 or K1 II are rather tough bodies, except rear LCD (like any LCD of any camera, phone etc..) and flash hotshoe the weakest point of the camera. If using flash mounted on camera, be aware of that weakness.
07-16-2021, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #10

Haven’t had any accidents with the K1, thankfully, but the K5 hit the asphalt and I dunked the K200D in the river.
Both are working fine!

07-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
A little bit of rain should cause no damage to your weather-sealed body.
As long as the lens is WR also. Otherwise, moisture could get into the body.
07-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The pentaprism housing is the weak point. It's plastic.
07-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's pretty tuff, but whether it breaks or not depends on how hard and where it's hit. A pane of glass can take a hard hit in the center but will probably shatter if just tapped on a corner.
07-17-2021, 12:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, I haven't knocked it badly, but it feels very tough. I think my Z is tougher, but the body is so different. That camera I have fallen with, from a tall stepladder camera down onto grass/dirt. Messed me up, but didn't affect the camera.
The Z and D are the only of the current cameras that have a all metal subframe

---------- Post added 07-17-2021 at 12:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The pentaprism housing is the weak point. It's plastic.
People underestimate plastic, is the mirror box of the K1 have anymore problems than the same plastic pentaprism housing. And when you consider it is what transfers all of the weight and impact to the camera housing from the lens is it any less resilient to impact damage?
And when you consider very little reports of failure do to impact damage to the mirror box when a heavier lens is attached I would not underestimate most plastics
07-17-2021, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've dropped my K-1 several time, it takes a licking and keeps on clicking.