Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 05:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
With a good focusing screen and correct shim thickness, manual focusing works very well and is a lot of fun.
Yes. That's not what come with digital camera sold new. I didn't want to mean that dig. camera don't work for MF, I meant they just aren't designed for MF, otherwise MF could be done much much better.

07-21-2021, 05:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes. That's not what come with digital camera sold new. I didn't want to mean that dig. camera don't work for MF, I meant they just aren't designed for MF, otherwise MF could be done much much better.
I agree. For predictable and reliable results with MF it needs a little more effort to "tune" the camera/the focusing screen as well as the shooting technique.
For me personally AF never felt "natural" ... I've started to take pictures more than 45 years ago and hadn't touched an AF camera until 11 years ago
07-21-2021, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve always turned the confirmation beep off as I find it too intrusive.
07-21-2021, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Partly yes. DSLRs have 2 AF systems: phase detect AF for the optical viewfinder and contrast detect AF via the sensor when using LV.
Mirrorless cameras only use contrast detection (as far as I am aware).
Recent Sony mirrorless cameras use both PDAF and CDAF.

07-21-2021, 07:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The manual focus method I like best so far on digital cameras is the extract edge focus peaking that Ricoh introduced in their recent cameras.
Using focus confirmation on old vintage lenses has the disadvantage of only working with the central AF point only.

The extract edge function together with the tiltable screen makes it a joy to use KP for manual focus.
07-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On digital cameras, manual focus is more about luck.
I do a lot of manual focus work with my K-3 and my experience is that fine focus requires attention to that detail. Unfortunately, PDAF focus confirmation is a rather dull tool to apply to the task.

Steve
07-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Using focus confirmation on old vintage lenses has the disadvantage of only working with the central AF point only.
The center-point-only rule applies to manual focus regardless of age, lens generation, or year bottled.

Steve

07-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, that is true. Just shows how long it's been since I used it.
Nowadays I kind of automatically switch to LV for manual focus.
07-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #24

On the subject of which, I have a K-1 and also find the beep to be very useful. However, is there a quick way of turning it on and off rather than diving into the menus?
07-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #25
Pentaxian

But there's no beep in AF.C mode, for obvious reasons. Nevertheless, I miss it.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 07-22-2021 at 05:29 AM.
07-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #26
Unregistered User

Both Nikon and Canon have indication for manual lens on the camera so not very unique.
07-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Both Nikon and Canon have indication for manual lens on the camera so not very unique.
A bit imprecise dear neighbor. "...have indication for manual lens on the camera". What does that mean?
07-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #28
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
A bit imprecise dear neighbor. "...have indication for manual lens on the camera". What does that mean?
It means that if you put a manual lens on the camera it will help you focus by telling you when the AF in the camera think that the camera is focused. Nikon has two arrows pointing to where to move focus. Canon beeps in the same manner that the Pentax do.
07-23-2021, 01:40 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
It means that if you put a manual lens on the camera it will help you focus by telling you when the AF in the camera think that the camera is focused. Nikon has two arrows pointing to where to move focus. Canon beeps in the same manner that the Pentax do.
Maybe the DSLRs do, it's been a while since I used the D850. But both Nikon and Canon are now doing mirrorless first and foremost. I don't remember how the Z7 does, it's been a while, but the Canon R5 I have in front of me does not beep, and the focus guide only works with manual lenses with electronic connection... I was mainly comparing the focus comfirmation of the K-1 to the newer cameras though, newer cameras are, without the exception of K3iii - mirrorless..
07-23-2021, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
On digital cameras, manual focus is more about luck.
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
You might want to share your wisdom with @Kerrowdown ... and his collection of manual glass.
Judging by his results he must have an awful lot of luck!
Oh dear... does this mean I'm more "doomed" than Pentax?