Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2021, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Focus comfirmation beep: how unique is this feature to Pentax (K-1)?

Hey guys!

So like many of you, I also enjoy shooting manual lenses. Both vintage/legacy glass and newer MF lenses.

I've shot with Pentax, Fuji, Sony, Nikon and now Canon R5.

Most people will tell you shooting legacy glass is easier on a mirrorless system, especially Sony cameras where zooming in through your viewfinder and then nailing focus seems to be the preferred method.

However, having tried this on many systems, I actually feel Pentax has the best solution for it. Sony has a pretty effective focus peaking (in my opinion), Canon and Fuji not as good.

But even with Sony's relatively effective focus peaking, I feel the focus comfirmation beep and square that I get with the K-1 is the superior way. I am getting focus so much more quickly and precise with this method. I can't believe that Sony, Fuji or Nikon can't make something like this. Is it due to the tech involved in mirrorless cameras?

Anyway, just wanted to throw some more praise towards the K1. I don't use catch in focus letting the camera shoot when it's in focus, rather i just adapt the focus ring to the beep and I've gotten quite effective at it, even shooting a rabbit in flight getting it in focus,

---------- Post added 07-21-21 at 12:58 AM ----------

To clarify, I know focus peaking is a better method than the focus comfirmation beep when you're for example shooting landscapes and want to make sure that everything, or at least large parts of the frame is in focus. But if I'm shooting a subject, may it be an object or a person - to me the focus comfirmations is the best solution

07-21-2021, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To add to this, you can also use the AF/FA menu (in APPLY ALL mode), to adjust for any tolerance needed.
07-21-2021, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
To add to this, you can also use the AF/FA menu (in APPLY ALL mode), to adjust for any tolerance needed.
Great! Thanks for the input!

PS: Lovely pups, now following you on Flickr, mate.
07-21-2021, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
I can't believe that Sony, Fuji or Nikon can't make something like this. Is it due to the tech involved in mirrorless cameras?
Partly yes. DSLRs have 2 AF systems: phase detect AF for the optical viewfinder and contrast detect AF via the sensor when using LV.
Mirrorless cameras only use contrast detection (as far as I am aware).

They still could implement a beep signal and a red box though.

Phase detect AF with MF lenses only works with the centre AF point though

07-21-2021, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Confirmation is surely the best way. From your experience, what is the cause of other brands not having a reliable focus peaking?? Is it that inaccurate?
07-21-2021, 03:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Confirmation is surely the best way. From your experience, what is the cause of other brands not having a reliable focus peaking?? Is it that inaccurate?
I'm not sure about the cause, it may be as simple as the colors on the focus peak not being visible enough. And I know that not everyone agrees with me, especially regarding Fujis compatibility with legacy glass using focus peaking. For me the Sony was just a lot better. But again, the focus comfirmation is just the best solution for me

K-1 and Samyang 135 mm f 2, not a lot of combos out there that will deliver a better image in terms of sharpness and to a certain degree color, my friend is using the Samyang 135 f 2 with mf even

It is more to do with the effectiveness for me, I think the other brands are reliable enough but it's just a lot faster with Sony's peaking. I'm not a huge fan of Pentax' focus peaking either tbh, but doesnt matter since they can offer the focus comfirmation
07-21-2021, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual focus is the least of the concerns of digital camera makers. On digital cameras, manual focus is more about luck.

07-21-2021, 03:38 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Manual focus is the least of the concerns of digital camera makers. On digital cameras, manual focus is more about luck.
You're probably right, but for example Pentax manual lenses are popular reasonable lens choices for many owners of mirrorless cameras
07-21-2021, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by norwegianoutdoors Quote
You're probably right, but for example Pentax manual lenses are popular reasonable lens choices for many owners of mirrorless cameras
That is because they want to have an expensive body that is just affordable and therefor have to buy cheap glass...
07-21-2021, 03:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I watched someone photographing with an XT3 and distinctly heard a focus beep each time before the shutter fired. What visual sign the EVF might have I couldn’t say.
07-21-2021, 04:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I watched someone photographing with an XT3 and distinctly heard a focus beep each time before the shutter fired. What visual sign the EVF might have I couldn’t say.
Not uncommon for any camera when using AF lenses, or was a MF lens used with the XT3?
07-21-2021, 05:04 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

as a Fuji shooter, I can confirm the confirmation beep when using AF lenses..

MF lenses are another story, however, as there is no beep at all, but other focusing aids are available, especially focus-peaking...

when I can get both in the EVF, the confirmation indicator and peaking, I'll buy that camera...
07-21-2021, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
when I can get both in the EVF, the confirmation indicator and peaking, I'll buy that camer

Same here! I'm also using Fuji and the focus peaking is the best manual focus aid. Still not as good as focus comfirmation. But I love the DOF indicator etc on Fuji and focus peaking works fine for landscape
07-21-2021, 05:12 AM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

as a quick edit - I meant "I'll buy that camera" for MF lenses....
07-21-2021, 05:19 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
On digital cameras, manual focus is more about luck.
You might want to share your wisdom with @Kerrowdown ... and his collection of manual glass.
Judging by his results he must have an awful lot of luck!

But seriously, I don't agree with your statement. With a good focusing screen and correct shim thickness, manual focusing works very well and is a lot of fun.