Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Card is not formatted", except it is/was

Went to take a quick snapshot tonight and my K-1 ii complained the SD card isn't formatted. The same cards have been in the camera for the 6 months since new without any complaint. Both are SanDisk Extreme Pro 170 MB/s SD XC V30 I 128GB. I have the latest firmware update and can't see any reason why the camera suddenly protests. As a check, I plugged into my computer and it read the card, through the camera, just fine. I'm hoping I've inadvertently changed a setting to cause this, and it isn't actually defective.

Any suggestions, please?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LM-G710  Photo 
07-22-2021, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had this happen when I removed a card without ejecting it from my PC (from an SD card reader in my case, but I think the same would apply if you were using a USB from the camera). If you've been able to copy the photos off to somewhere else I would try formatting the card in camera.
07-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would immediately back up your files to avoid risking any data loss, then format the cards again in the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2021, 10:57 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Elroy Jetson Quote
Went to take a quick snapshot tonight and my K-1 ii complained the SD card isn't formatted. The same cards have been in the camera for the 6 months since new without any complaint. Both are SanDisk Extreme Pro 170 MB/s SD XC V30 I 128GB. I have the latest firmware update and can't see any reason why the camera suddenly protests. As a check, I plugged into my computer and it read the card, through the camera, just fine. I'm hoping I've inadvertently changed a setting to cause this, and it isn't actually defective.

Any suggestions, please?
I've had this before. After checking all the present directories it appeared a strange file nested within a directory. After removing this file all was ok. Some programs create a file after exploring your sd-card. Also make sure you 'software-eject' the card before removing it from your laptop / pc /tablet / phone. Re-ejecting can also fix the problem. If your sd-card was never used outside your camera (or never connected with usb) before the problem occurred, I would definitely test the sd-card.

07-23-2021, 01:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This happened to my K1 last night. Two Integral Ultima 64GB UHS-I cards that had been in the camera from day 1.

My immediate thought was that it was somehow connected to installing Firmware 1.55. Not necessarily the firmware itself, but the process of installing it. I had used the second card, which was blank, to install the firmware. It was formatted afterwards.

The first card had been nowhere near a card reader - it had only been taken out of the camera and reinstalled. I tested the camera immediately afterwards and all seemed good. No errors on startup and the last image displayed on slideshow as expected. I took two test images and deleted them.

If the previous suggestions for causes of the error applied in my case, I would have seen Card not Formatted when I tested the camera. The errors appeared on both cards a day later. No data was actually lost - I could get the files off the cards easily enough - but I have had to reformat both cards in the camera to make them work. They are both fine, 100 images later.
07-23-2021, 02:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Also make sure you 'software-eject' the card before removing it from your laptop / pc /tablet / phone. Re-ejecting can also fix the problem.
I believe "eject" is a tem that has survived from the days of CDs when the drawer did phyically open on a software command (which would check there was no writing to be done first). I have never met a SD or other memory card slot that did the same thing. I don't use Windows (does Windows refer to "eject" in the context of memory cards?) and in Linux the term used is "Unmount", which is better.
07-23-2021, 04:17 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I believe "eject" is a tem that has survived from the days of CDs when the drawer did phyically open on a software command (which would check there was no writing to be done first). I have never met a SD or other memory card slot that did the same thing. I don't use Windows (does Windows refer to "eject" in the context of memory cards?) and in Linux the term used is "Unmount", which is better.
Windows is still using eject...also for a sd-card.

07-23-2021, 05:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My thanks to you all. I very recently backed up my K-1 to a vintage iMac (still soldiering on with Aperture 3, sigh) and noticed the warning about media corruption for not ejecting properly. My newer HP desktop doesn't require formal ejection, and the K-5 never made a fuss with the iMac even when it was unplugged instead of 'ejected'. So this is the first time I've actually had media corrupted, but reformatting has restored my K-1. Thanks again for your advice and comments.
07-23-2021, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Indeed!

"Eject" is even older than CDs. It refers to floppy disks.

As for "unmount," that is an even more ancient term dating back to the use of tape drives for storing just about everything because the computer's main storage space was all the files of all the user were stored on racks of tapes. Those tapes had to be mounted into a reel-to-reel tape drive and then unmounted when done.

Which ever archaic term you prefer, the process ensures that no data is lost or damaged when the storage media is removed or disconnected.

P.S. You can substantially eliminate the chance of data loss from premature disconnection or ejection by locking the card.
07-23-2021, 05:51 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Indeed!

"Eject" is even older than CDs. It refers to floppy disks.

As for "unmount," that is an even more ancient term dating back to the use of tape drives for storing just about everything because the computer's main storage space was all the files of all the user were stored on racks of tapes. Those tapes had to be mounted into a reel-to-reel tape drive and then unmounted when done.

Which ever archaic term you prefer, the process ensures that no data is lost or damaged when the storage media is removed or disconnected.

P.S. You can substantially eliminate the chance of data loss from premature disconnection or ejection by locking the card.
how old does that make you? our new because I remember it! I trained on punch cards! As for the sd card, yeah, is just been modified by the pc and the camera is complaining.

07-23-2021, 06:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In defence of photoptimist I admit to preparing Holorith cards for a Burroughs B5500 in my first year of university, about 1972. SD cards are a good idea, but they keep changing and rendering older gear obsolete (surely just coincidence . . . ). I've managed to complicate my circumstances by backing up my cameras to both the ancient iMac and the HP running Win10. I need to pay more attention to minor details that do things like rendering the card unreadable to the camera which is, of course, pretty important.
07-23-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
I've had this happen when I removed a card without ejecting it from my PC (from an SD card reader in my case
This is the usual explanation ^ ^ ^.

And the usual fix is to format using the utility from the SD Association...

SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association

Use the rewrite option. If the card is defective, the utility will detect.

Steve
07-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"Eject" is a hold-over from 3.5" floppy disks and some tape drives and is used by Windows, Mac, and some Linux desktops in certain contexts. "Unmount" is more proper, but that is done prior to an eject, so all is good.

Steve
07-23-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Assuming the reader respects the lock tab (my understanding is that it is optically physically read). Some don't.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-23-2021 at 09:12 AM. Reason: more better information
07-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still says "eject" in my Windows dropdown when I "unmount" my card. What does a Mac machine say????

Did you remove your imaging SD card when you updated the firmware? Might be something that the camera is still looking at the empty slot where you put the firmware update? In that case, just remove and reinsert the imaging SD card in its normal slot and see if the camera is looking at that slot. A good reminder to back up your data.