Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

An odd problem with the 3rd control dial

Hello alll,

I recently purchased a lightly used K-1, a camera I have dreamed of owning for years before it even came to market. I am so pleased and have been *loving* it so far. What a machine. I'm just starting to learn some of the various capabilities. I noticed a problem, though. The "third control dial" -- the unlabeled one farthest to the right on top of the camera -- is behaving oddly. If I set the camera for this dial to control anything -- exposure compensation, or ISO, for example, it doesn't work properly -- it usually either doesn't go the next step up or down or it skips steps. For example, in trying to change exposure compensation, the first click might do nothing, the second click +.5, the third and fourth clicks nothing, and with the fifth click it is suddenly at +2.0.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Here is a short video of what I mean: Shared album - Andrew Patteson - Google Photos

I'm thankful in advance for any help you might be able to provide. This forum is such a great Pentax resource!

08-06-2021, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome.

That does seem like a bit of a peculiar issue. To test if the wheel is otherwise functioning as it should, can you check what it does when you set it to any of the "on-off" type functions, such as SR, Crop or WiFi?

Regards,
Mark
08-07-2021, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Hello and welcome. After watching your video I can say your control dial is ill behaving the very same way the dials of my old 6mp Pentax bodies did. I could adress the issue with a tiny droplet of contact agent I applied into the gap above and beneath the dial wheel. The functionality of the wheels went back to normal again. In your case though there is no such gaps as the wheel sits on top, so I don't know how you could manage to direct the agent on to the contacts.
In any case I did the remedy on my own risk, and so will you if you should decide to do any experiments. Good luck having it solved one way or another.

Last edited by Simon K; 08-07-2021 at 05:53 AM. Reason: typo
08-07-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

If purchased recently and lightly used (?) I think that you should inform the seller and either ask for a discount and never use the dial again or to return it and get your money back. After all, you'll never know what caused the damage to the camera that makes the dial ill behaving.

08-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lot of these dials use an optical encoder which sends a light beam through a coded section of the wheel (internal where you can't see it). If dust gets in the way, it will produce erratic codes as you describe. You can try pressurized air - shoot a blast around the edge of the wheel. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to get at what needs to be cleaned (if that is the issue). In any case, if you continue to have this problem, it would be advised to have it serviced - shouldn't cost much other than the standard fee, unless it's something more serious.

Sidenote. Your description left me wondering. You are aware that the top dial sets the mode (bracketing, HDR, etc.) and then you use the rear wheel to select the value? Perhaps its the rear wheel which has the issue.
08-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If air works, possibly just zooming a WR lens in and out would possibly dislodge an errant bit of dust internally.
08-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the comments!

Mark, with the on/off functions it usually (but not always) takes two clicks to get it to switch to the other state. Occasionally one or three or four clicks.

Simon and Bob, it does sound like contact cleaner or air might help. And Bob, that is very interesting to know. Contact cleaner would make me nervous but air a bit less so... either would probably be made trickier by the weather sealing, I imagine.

VonB, interesting idea -- I don't have one of those, though.

APMII, I have been in touch with the seller, we both just thought we would cross our fingers and hope there was a simple solution that the Pentax hive mind might know about.

Happy to hear any other ideas or opinions.

---------- Post added 08-07-21 at 12:45 PM ----------

Oh, and Bob, to your sidenote -- this is the unlabeled top dial on the K-1 -- the third one -- not the rear panel's thumbwheel.

08-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awpatteson Quote
Contact cleaner would make me nervous but air a bit less so
I'm glad Bob brought up the idea it could be an optical switch too, I didn't considers this possibility at all as in my cameras it is some sort of metal contacts. So better don't use any contact agent unless you're sure about the nature of the unit at least and if metal until you know for sure how to apply safely. Contact agent in an optical device sure would be a silly thing.

Last edited by Simon K; 08-07-2021 at 12:52 PM.
08-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
Unregistered User

I would stay away from lubes etc since it will damage you weather sealing if anything. (Including pressured air.)

I think it may need a visit to a service center.
08-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awpatteson Quote
Thank you for the comments!

Mark, with the on/off functions it usually (but not always) takes two clicks to get it to switch to the other state. Occasionally one or three or four clicks.

Simon and Bob, it does sound like contact cleaner or air might help. And Bob, that is very interesting to know. Contact cleaner would make me nervous but air a bit less so... either would probably be made trickier by the weather sealing, I imagine.

VonB, interesting idea -- I don't have one of those, though.

APMII, I have been in touch with the seller, we both just thought we would cross our fingers and hope there was a simple solution that the Pentax hive mind might know about.

Happy to hear any other ideas or opinions.

---------- Post added 08-07-21 at 12:45 PM ----------

Oh, and Bob, to your sidenote -- this is the unlabeled top dial on the K-1 -- the third one -- not the rear panel's thumbwheel.
It's quite a job to get into the camera and get to that part to do a clean from the inside. It's not something I'd try myself so, if I was you, I'd have it professionally serviced. That, however, is a costly exercise and unless the sale price was sufficiently low, you'd be best to return it to the seller for refund.

One last thing you can try before doing that is to turn that third wheel a good few revolutions clockwise (with a good few I mean maybe 10 or 20) and a good few anti-clockwise. Maybe, and just maybe, whatever is stuck in there and causing the problem solves itself or breaks itself completely.
08-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Recent purchase? Arrange with seller for return with full credit.

Steve
08-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too think a return for this kind of issue is the most logical solution.