Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tips on 1st birthday cake smash

Hi,

Due to the covid situation, I have cancelled my daughter's first birthday party next month and hence planning to take at least a cake smash photography at home with my family to capture the occasion. I have never done a cake smash photography before and I have limited space in my apartment as well. Hence need some tips. Below is my gear.

Pentax K1
Sigma Art 35mm 1.4
DFA 77mm 1.8 ltd
100mm Macro
28-105 WR zoom
DFA* 70-200 2.8
Samyang 14mm 2.8
Metz 58 AF2 flash
Neewer collapsible reflector

I will be probably using only Sigma 35mm ART since its convenient for indoor. Need to get some backdrop (Vinyl or paper to have a wrinkle free backdrop) online along with stands to hold them. Am not sure if Metz AF2 on camera will be good or look for some options for off camera and soft box. Not sure if its worth to purchase cactus trigger now since there is not going to be any upgrade from Cactus or look for other options such as Godox AD200 Pro with trigger. A bit of expensive upgrade. Would appreciate any tips.

08-10-2021, 11:50 PM   #2
pjv
Proudly Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with your choice of the Siggy 35.......a great lens on any camera. For me, on camera bounce flash is fine in confined spaces. You have got time to play with the settings of the camera/lens/flash combo, and where to shoot in your apartment. But I feel the most important thing to do is get more than 1 cake !!!
If you miss the shot you want, I'm sure your bubba would be happy to do it again.........and again........and again....
08-11-2021, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I agree with your choice of the Siggy 35.......a great lens on any camera. For me, on camera bounce flash is fine in confined spaces. You have got time to play with the settings of the camera/lens/flash combo, and where to shoot in your apartment. But I feel the most important thing to do is get more than 1 cake !!!
If you miss the shot you want, I'm sure your bubba would be happy to do it again.........and again........and again....
Thanks pjv. Good point about the cake With 58Af2, its not consistent lately on PTTL and probably will try and use it in manual mode.
08-11-2021, 12:29 AM   #4
pjv
Proudly Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Most welcome. But please also remember to split your time between taking the pix, and enjoying the day with the family.

Last edited by pjv; 08-11-2021 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typo
08-11-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Most welcome. But please also remember to split your time between taking the pix, and enjoying the day with the family.
Agreed. Sometimes I get carried with the photography and regret not spending time with the family.

---------- Post added 08-11-21 at 03:06 AM ----------

In general is it worth to get Gordox AD200Pro or still stick on with Metz 58AF2 flash
08-11-2021, 03:16 AM   #6
pjv
Proudly Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Not knowing the space you are going to be shooting in, and how much natural light is available, I can't answer that. Between now and the big day, maybe you need to do some test shots, and work out the details. Whatever you decide, have a great day.

I'm sure others will chime in with some good tips.......
08-11-2021, 05:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Donít buy any new gear if you wonít have time to practice using it .
Practice composition of the intended scene in the place you intend to take the picture, use as much natural light as possible and only use the flash to fill in .
Also, if you are using natural light, use a reflector if possible, instead of a flash.
If using. Flash, practice using diffusers, nothing is worse than obvious flash blowouts on the subjectís face or other surfaces.
Practice
Practice some more.

08-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally suggest shooting video. The sounds and movement will be cherished years from now.
08-12-2021, 04:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great idea. I got the Sony RX100 Mark 1 and probably use that for the video. I will try with the natural light but in the evening, it gets dark really fast. May be have this earlier in the day.

Thanks for the tips guyz.
08-12-2021, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get multiple cakes ready... in case the first attempts don't work out. Plus, you can never have too much cake!
12-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #11
Forum Member

SOunds Fun

Sounds like a fun time.