Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2021, 02:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Manual Focus Lever - Needed?

I was using a manual focus lens (a M100 macro) on my K-1, taking pictures, and realised I had forgotten to switch the camera from AF to MF with the lever on the mirror box. No harm seems to have been done, the camera was not making any fuss, and the pictures were fine. Is changing this lever necessary? What does it do?

08-11-2021, 03:25 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lever retracts the screw drive. The screw drive in the body is spring loaded anyway, so provided there's no indent on your manual lens in that same location to engage the screw drive, there should not be any damage.
08-11-2021, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Catch in focus requires at switch to be in af position and either a manual focus lens or a lens with a switch itself set to manual focus. There shouldn’t be any problem.
08-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I see it now: moving the MF/AF lever with no lens mounted, the screw drive shaft moves In/Out respectively and is sprung. My M100 macro lens has a plain area on its mount where the screw drive will press when mounted*, so it's not going to try chewing up a screw or anything . In fact my DFA 24-70, being focussed electrically, also has a plain area where the screw drive shaft must be pressing against, so it is obviously an acceptable scenario.

* But not necessarily every legacy lens I guess.

08-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Is changing this lever necessary? What does it do?
If you have your camera set up to the default AF setting regarding shutter release, and the AF/MF switch is in AF, the camera will not take a picture unless AF confirmation is attained. So you can have a problem using a MF lens if your subject is off centre. The centre AF point may not get a lock, and the shutter will not trigger.

So best to use the MF/AF switch.
08-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you have your camera set up to the default AF setting regarding shutter release, and the AF/MF switch is in AF, the camera will not take a picture unless AF confirmation is attained. So you can have a problem using a MF lens if your subject is off centre. The centre AF point may not get a lock, and the shutter will not trigger.
I don't think so. You can trigger at any moment with a manual lens in AF position and also with an AF lens in MF position on the lens...
08-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I don't think so. You can trigger at any moment with a manual lens in AF position and also with an AF lens in MF position on the lens...
Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If catch in focus is setup - I don't think you can.

08-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If catch in focus is setup - I don't think you can.
There was no mention of catch in focus in pschlute's post nor in op's...
08-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
There was no mention of catch in focus in pschlute's post nor in op's...
True but I’ll bet pschlute has it set.
08-15-2021, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Is changing this lever necessary? What does it do?
Some a/f lenses (not necessarily Pentax) are very much a/f OR m/f.
If you want to manually focus one of these lenses for whatever reason, with the camera set in a/f, you'll be also forcing the camera focus drive mechanism, which is probably not recommended
The lever effectively operates a dog clutch which disconnects the camera's a/f drive from the lens.
As others have noted, having this switch in the a/f position is necessary for the catch-in-focus feature, so there may be circumstances where the two functions are not practical.
08-15-2021, 03:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
True but I’ll bet pschlute has it set.
Ok sorry, I thought he was answering the op