Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2021, 02:45 AM   #1

Pentax K1-II

Recently I took some long exposure photos using B setting. Exposure times were from around 30 to 90 s and using a remote. When I downloaded them in RAW I noticed that the properties showed that the exposure time was 0.52s which wasn't the case! I was wondering whther this is an issue with my camera or a bug with the model.

08-21-2021, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bulb mode exposures can be triggered in different ways on K1 cameras.

- Pressing the green button allow to set the exposure timer. In that mode, only one press of shutter button or remote is necessary to start the exposure, which is ended by the timer
- Pressing shutter button / remote one time to start the exposure and one time to stop the exposure
- Pressing the shutter button / or remote continuously to keep camera shutter open (this is the default more of cameras)

Your camera is probably set with its default Bulb mode, so when you released the remote the exposure stopped earlier than you intended.
08-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
I did not press the green button but set the camera to manual and B button from the top knob, I am sure that the exposure was much longer than 0.56 s since I had some photos which were either over or under exposed. If the time was 0.56 s I would have obtained a black picture since these were night time photos of the sky. So my impression is that the time is not being recorded properly in the properties section.
08-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jdou Quote
I did not press the green button but set the camera to manual and B button from the top knob
Please explain what you mean by this. As written it is not possible to set the camera to both manual and B. For Bulb your C1 menu has to be set to either #1 press the shutter to start and release to end or #2 press to start and press again to end. If not auto timed via the camera then in either case you would have to have some type of timer to know when to manually release via either of these two.
There is a note in the manual if I recall about not having the camera set to af-c focus.

PS Don't forget another possibility is some sofware don't read the exif completely accurate.

08-22-2021, 12:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
The top left knob was on B setting, the camera was on a tripod with remote timer, the focus was MF and so the timer was being held manually.
08-26-2021, 04:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Still awaiting a reply from someone following my feedback
08-26-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

Do you have a sample to upload so we can look at the exif?

08-27-2021, 04:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
uploaded file
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
08-28-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
Unregistered User

uploaded file
Well, the exposure time on this one is 0.5s according to exif. ISO12800

Are you sure that the B-functionality is set to open on one press and close on the second or did you use a lockable cable release?

Or, what do you mean with remote timer?
08-29-2021, 01:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
I used a cordless remote control and heard the mirror going up and down and timed using my watch. All exposure times were the same no matter what.

Last edited by jdou; 08-29-2021 at 01:25 AM.
08-29-2021, 03:19 AM   #11
Unregistered User

I used a cordless remote control and heard the mirror going up and down and timed using my watch. All exposure times were the same no matter what.
And if you try now?

Up and down sounds like you pushed the button and then let go? 0.5s-ish
08-29-2021, 03:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
I repeated everything except the astrotracer bit; the settings were as follows: B setting; camera set to manual focus; Remote mirror up so you start by pressing the remote button and the mirror goes into up position, the red light at the back blinks every second and then you take the mirror down by pressing the remote again. putting the mirror up. Checked the properties adn in spite that I left the mirror up for around 14s, the exposure time was 0.52s! So nothing has changed.
08-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #13
Unregistered User

I repeated everything except the astrotracer bit; the settings were as follows: B setting; camera set to manual focus; Remote mirror up so you start by pressing the remote button and the mirror goes into up position, the red light at the back blinks every second and then you take the mirror down by pressing the remote again. putting the mirror up. Checked the properties adn in spite that I left the mirror up for around 14s, the exposure time was 0.52s! So nothing has changed.
If you go to item C6 in the menu system. What is this set to? If standard, Type 1, one press on shutter flips the mirror, second opens the shutter as long as you hold the shutter down. Releasing the shutter closes shutter and mirror goes down. If set to Type 2 you press one time for flipping mirror, second time to open shutter and third time to close shutter.
08-29-2021, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
@Tjompen You were correct. Item C6 was set to Type 1. I tried it out again i.e. timing with the second press and in fact the timing was now correct. Thanks very much.
12-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
Forum Member

Thanks

Readng this through has helped me better understadn that mode too.., I rarely use it.