Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 93 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #61
IOO

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Perhaps, the original poster needs to get back and offer some advice as to how she/he has kept their collection to so few cameras. Some of you might benefit :-)
I have been working in a lot of museums in Norway, so I just justifies my collection to be my private Pentax museum! You are welcome to visit! :-)

Last edited by IOO; 09-07-2021 at 03:02 PM.
09-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
I couldn't resist. Now I have 6 Pentax cameras. Is there a word for this condition?
MaximaPentaxitis

Enjoy them all!
09-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I couldn't resist. Now I have 6 Pentax cameras. Is there a word for this condition?
Seven.

Six is only too many if you only shoot with one or two. Six is not enough if you always want the latest model, love collecting, or get emotionally attached to inanimate objects.

If you had an APS-C, FF, and MF sensor, then that allows you 3 plus a back up for each IF you are a pro.
09-07-2021, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #64

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always heard it's called G.A.S. ever since the last Millenium; Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
But a very mild case, I might add; when you are in the hundreds like some other here (I plead the fifth myself), you have a more severe case.

09-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #65
Forum Member

Film, KM, ME. Digital. K100D, K5, K1-11. Unfortunately the KM is not working. It was my first SLR, all mechanical, manual only, loved it.
09-07-2021, 06:08 PM - 4 Likes   #66
Veteran Member

.... <shrug>
09-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote

.... <shrug>
Oh my!!!

09-08-2021, 08:02 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boo Hoo

Feeling inadequate here. I have only three!
09-08-2021, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by McCMac Quote
Feeling inadequate here. I have only three!
Crying because you are sane? Financially responsible? More appropriate things to do with your time?

I thought the rest of us had a problem!
09-09-2021, 05:33 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Crying because you are sane? Financially responsible? More appropriate things to do with your time?

I thought the rest of us had a problem!
Peer pressure, he wants to hang with the cool kids - even if they are unhinged! Lol.
09-09-2021, 05:44 AM   #71
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by McCMac Quote
. . . I have only three!
there is time to acquire more

if that fits your situation

no pressure

none at all
09-09-2021, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Peer pressure, he wants to hang with the cool kids - even if they are unhinged! Lol.
Sociologically interesting, group values. You decide which crazy group appeals to you and adopt thier lingo and practices. I'm guessing a lot of model train enthusiasts think people wasting their time on photography is silly. Same with many others. Cool is in the mind of the beholders. But every group ever created by humans can be defined on some level as "unhinged." and often have key points you have to agree on to be part of the club. The dogma of Pentax photography.

A few years out of date and ergonomic but takes great pictures is better than new and flashy and expensive.
Cameras aren't fashion statements.
Functionality trumps form.
09-09-2021, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
. . . .... <shrug>
" you're gonna to need a bigger [ window ] "

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-09-2021 at 07:42 AM.
09-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cameras aren't fashion statements.
Functionality trumps form.
The mantra of your tribe. (I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.)

---------- Post added 09-09-21 at 09:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Indeed. This is only the Pentax cameras. hahah
To be fair, nearly all the bodies in that photo are film bodies. I have just 3 digital for the past many years: my GR (currently III), my phone (currently LG something-something), and my very aging but very capable for my needs P K-3.
09-11-2021, 06:25 AM - 3 Likes   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I guess this is an appropriate thread for me to weigh in on. :-)

I just got my new K-1 II camera yesterday from B&H Photo, and I'm already kicking myself for waiting so long and being pseudo-content with my previous only-FF-DSLR camera, a Nikon D800. I doubt I'll be using my D800 much any more, after spending an entire day out photographing with my K-1 II and learning all it can do (or, rather, learning *much* of what it can do!). Yes, I'd been holding out, hoping for a K-1 III and enjoying my two K-3 II cameras and my old K10D occasionally, with my two-dozen K-mount (mostly FF) lenses.

Yes, the cost was what had held me back, but I "knew" I was going to get *something* bigger and better than what I had ... And, yes, the K-3 III slowed me down from buying my K-1 II the last several months as I kept reading about the former and seeing all the fabulous photos from new K-3 III owners, as I actually started to consider getting the K-3 III instead. But I always kept going back to the K-1 in my thinking because of all my FF lenses (and with my being big on landscape photography) and because I have really liked the FF photos that I got with my D800. The D800 is a pain-in-the-butt camera to use compared to anything Pentax (Pentax cameras are way-better-designed than are Nikon cameras), but it does generate great images. I consciously refused to expand my F-mount line-up to more than four lenses (originating from my film days with my Nikon F4), to keep my focus on my preferred cameras (Pentax) and their K-mount lenses, for both cost and practicality reasons.

I kept thinking that I wanted to use all my K-mount lenses (many of which I got over decades for use with my K1000, LX, and PZ-1 film cameras) on a FF DSLR instead of just my APS-C cameras. But I found myself continually going to my 36-Mpx D800 for landscape shots that were superior to what I could get with my 24-Mpx K-3 II cameras ... so I finally linked to B&H Photo from Pentax Forums here to get my K-1 II. After one full day of shooting with my K-1 II, I see that the USD $1900 spent (incl. tax) was well spent. Upon reflection, it's interesting how much I stressed about the $1900 price tag over years, worrying about justifying that price (on top of all the other money I've spent to build up my photography collection over four decades), whereas after I got my K-1 II and used it all day long, the $1900 paid seemed truly like the right thing to do, without a doubt. Funny how that works.

Now it's a question of how much I'll be using my K-3 II cameras (probably mostly for long-telephoto shots and for my astrophotography) after they've been my main cameras for a while now. But I see the APS-C cameras as getting a lot less usage now, with my K-1 II in hand, and my D800 is likely to get almost no usage outside of my astrophotography. My K-1 II is not that much bigger/heavier than my K-3 II, seriously -- and this is one of the big, unexpected surprises learned during my first day with my K-1 II -- so I don't think size and weight is going to be much of an issue for me as to which camera I take out on a hike or on a tourist walk through a town (i.e., K-3 II vs. K-1 II).

Fun times!

Last edited by cometguy; 09-11-2021 at 06:51 AM.