Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2021, 11:46 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New K1 Mark II. I think I've gone too far.

I couldn't resist. Now I have 6 Pentax cameras. Is there a word for this condition?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentaxian? CAA? (camera acquiring addict?) Body Collector?
09-04-2021, 11:54 AM - 6 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
6 is a bit much, but I can help. Send me that K-1ii, and you will only have 5, which is not a problem at all.

Seriously, the only problem is if you spend more time shopping for camera bodies or looking at your collection than you spend time making images worth keeping.
09-04-2021, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hmm only six

K-3 III, K-1 II, K-3 II, K-3, K10D

Pentax LX and winder
Pentax ME Super plus winder [ ME II ]
Pentax Super Program ( aka Super A )
Pentax Z-1/PZ-1 SLR

all working

my wife has been very nice to me

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-04-2021 at 12:24 PM.
09-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be surprised if 6 turns out to only be a modest collection too many here. When do you stop counting? Old bodies that are never likely to be used? Not working properly, but never scrapped? APSC bodies kept, but now moved to FF? And then back to APSC with K3-III? Ricoh/ Pentax GRs, i, ii, iii etc etc. Guess we'll find out.

I too have 6. Don't fret.
09-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as you use them occasionally, it isn't a big deal. I own a K-1, K-1 II, K-3 and K-01. My 14 year old daughter shoots with a K-S1. I do use all of them.

I tend to sell older cameras if they have any value, but once they get to a certain age, there probably isn't much point and I always worry that I will sell a body that will break 6 months after someone gets it.
09-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is 6 a big number for Pentax cameras owned by a single person? If you ask me, it depends...

- digital bodies in full working condition and used frequently? I'm at 2 with the K-S2 and K-1 (I), but I do long for the K-3 III, so 6 would be quite a lot.
- digital bodies in full working condition, but not all used frequently? I could add an *istD to my list, so 6 would still be a lot...
- digital bodies, working or not, used or not? Another *istD L that was already dead when I got it, but used to revive my K-S2 with its white solenoid... 6 would still be more than that...
- digital or analog, working or not, used or not? Add a Spotmatic II, an ME (with dead metering), a P30N and an MZ-50 (dead)... that's 8 with 6 in working condition... damn, now 6 doesn't look like that much in comparison any more...

I think (hope) you (and I) are no outlier in that regard...

09-04-2021, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
New K1 Mark II. I think I've gone too far.
Congratulations, now just enjoy it!.
Do you have enough lenses for it?
09-04-2021, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I tend to keep hold of cameras taken out of "frontline service". Currently I have K-3ii x 2 in regular use, with K50, K30, K100D as backups. The semi-retired cameras tend to realise relatively little money on sale, so I keep them as backups or for use in risky conditions. I make sure they are used occasionally and kept with charged batteries. I still have an SPII which is working but it hasn't been actively used for some time and is occasionally excercised, and an MX which requires attention, but would work once CLA'd.
09-04-2021, 01:50 PM - 6 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I couldn't resist. Now I have 6 Pentax cameras. Is there a word for this condition?
The word is "happy"!
09-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm...well I have 4, including a Theta....
09-04-2021, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

While it appears you are suffering from CBA - Camera Buying Addiction there is a cure.

Replace it with LBA - Lens Buying Addiction.

I was up to 7 bodies, sold the K10D and K7 now only have 5.

My lens collection is up to 15 and it is an easy sell to questions as to why another lens...... simple it will work with all the cameras I own
09-04-2021, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I'm sitting here laughing!

I have the same affliction, but it is with vintage racing bicycles. The wisdom is that the correct number of racing bicycles is N+1 (where N= the number of bikes you have today) :-)

That said, the "rule" around here is if it is in the stable - it gets used! So the big COVID project was to restore all of them to road / track worthy condition and all are in rotatation. Raining, got a bike. Long ride, got a bike. Take it easy day, got a bike. etc.

Frankly same with a whole bunch of vintage Pentax lenses that I'm getting back into.

In other words - eh! Don't fret, enjoy and shoot to your heart's content!
09-04-2021, 02:33 PM - 5 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you're supposed to own Pentaxes in multiples of five. So you should either get rid of one or acquire four more...
09-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to the club. K100D, K5 x 3, K3, K1. Though one of the K5's is dead (bricked during a firmware update because of low battery) so maybe I can only count 5. But which ones would I get rid of? Maybe the K5's but it's hardly worth it financially and they still work great and I can put them in my kids hands without worrying of they get dropped or bumped or something... I use the K1 and K3 regularly and the K100D is my nostalgia camera plus my ticket to SDM conversion if ever needed.