Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Writing speed K1 in comparison to KP

At this moment there are several used K-1’s for sale. I use my KP with vintage lenses for stage photography mainly, modern dance and ballet. From time to time I do miss the wide angles. With full frame together with my SMC A 24mm I might overcome this issue.

I read in several user reviews the lack in writing speed when shooting multiple shots. Any one who knows how much it differs from a KP out of experience?

Last edited by NickLapin; 09-10-2021 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling
09-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kp performance:
Pentax KP Review - Performance & Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

K1:

Pentax K-1 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The k1 buffer crushes the KP if you compare cropped file results in particular. But the rate of exposures is slower so that bears relevance on the results a little.
09-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It also depends a lot on the SD card and the settings in camera.
If you use a fast card and disable in-camera processing ( lens correction etc) it gets much faster.
A while ago there was a writing speed test with different cards somewhere here. Perhaps you can find some indication there.
09-08-2021, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The k1 buffer crushes the KP if you compare cropped file results in particular. But the rate of exposures is slower so that bears relevance on the results a little.
I'll look at the links. Thanks! I wouldn't use the K-1 prior in cropped mode, for my goal to get most out of my wide angle lenses.

EDIT

In the KP Review, it says it all:

QuoteQuote:
We measured the actual average write speed of the KP to be around 27 Mb/s. This is somewhat slower than what we found with the K-3 II, but around the same speed as the K-1.
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
It also depends a lot on the SD card and the settings in camera.
If you use a fast card and disable in-camera processing ( lens correction etc) it gets much faster.
A while ago there was a writing speed test with different cards somewhere here. Perhaps you can find some indication there.
Out of experience different brands of cards with the same speeds on paper, in practice differ quite a lot.

Last edited by NickLapin; 09-09-2021 at 12:20 AM.
09-09-2021, 05:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you going to shoot action with wide angle lenses? I’m not clear how the write speed impacts your shooting. I mentioned the buffer because the buffer, more than the write speed is what limits continuous shooting the most. The buffer getting full means relying on the write speed to empty it. But as long as there’s buffer space free the camera continues to fire and record images at the nominal frame rate selected. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding the impact of write speed on your use case.

If the goal is to use legacy wide angle glass at the original angle of view, what other choices do you have?
09-10-2021, 12:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I mentioned the buffer because the buffer, more than the write speed is what limits continuous shooting the most.
I didn't think that through thoroughly enough, but you're so right. Thanks for pointing out the difference. Ofcourse shooting 36mp or 24mp still is quite a difference in filesize to buffer, but the K-1 is equiped for that.

If the goal is to use legacy wide angle glass at the original angle of view, what other choices do you have?
My other option would be a used SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8 ED [IF] lens to fit on my KP, to fill the need for a wider angle image. That would be the only DA lens in my collection of A 24, 28, 50, 35-105 and M 200 and 300 lenses. Not out of principle, but a brighter use of the set - a K-1 could be a nice addition to step up another level in image quality.

Last edited by NickLapin; 09-10-2021 at 12:23 AM.
09-10-2021, 05:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLapin Quote
My other option would be a used SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8 ED [IF] lens to fit on my KP, to fill the need for a wider angle image. That would be the only DA lens in my collection of A 24, 28, 50, 35-105 and M 200 and 300 lenses. Not out of principle, but a brighter use of the set - a K-1 could be a nice addition to step up another level in image quality.
I own a da14 and a KP and that is a nice combination, but with your lenses it seems likely that your best choice is to use a full frame body. The crop mode on the k-1 isn’t shabby, so while not as high resolution as the KP for cropped use, you still have a capable cropped option if needed for a specific lens. Finding a da14 equivalent field of view that’s full frame (20-21mm) is a bit more effort but there are viable options out there.

09-11-2021, 05:31 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for giving your thoughts on my issue.

This morning I decided for the 14mm lens (great deal trading in two spare lenses). Since this lens is rare in my area and I do like to see and test things before I buy;-)

The K-1 is still on my wishlist. They come around more often and as soon as I find the right one for the right price, I take my change to test it for myself and make the decision then. Before that I'll dig a bit deeper in any points what to be aware of when buying a used K-1.

Pentax KP, Pentax ist D, Pentax Program A, Pentax ME Super, Sigma SA-1

AF is convenient - MF focuses your eye
Last edited by NickLapin; 2 Hours Ago at 05:40 AM.

Edit Message Quote Quick Reply

« Post your K-1 pictures!
|
New K1 Mark II. I think I've gone too far. »

Quick Reply

Quote message in reply? Show your signature
Upload Photos or Files