Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2021, 05:15 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Digital film roll concept

Could Ricoh make a firmware release such that camera user can't take more than two 36 x exposures digital rolls per day, after 72 exposures taken in a day the camera is automatically locked and unusable. Image preview not possible until three weeks have passed from the time of the last exposure of the 36 roll (as if you sent the roll to a lab for development). That would remind us of the good old film camera days, no?

09-17-2021, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Could Ricoh make a firmware release such that camera user can't take more than two 36 x exposures digital rolls per day, after 72 exposures taken in a day the camera is automatically locked and unusable. Image preview not possible until three weeks have passed from the time of the last exposure of the 36 roll (as if you sent the roll to a lab for development). That would remind us of the good old film camera days, no?

I imagine there are still many, many Yashica Y35's still available for you to scratch this particular itch with....

Yashica's 'Unexpected' Y35 Camera is Worse Than Anyone Expected | PetaPixel
09-17-2021, 05:38 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And you have to hand over £15 per 36 exposures, before you can turn your camera back on.

Any camera company would jump at that, stop giving them ideas!
09-17-2021, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Haha!
You need a better lab … we used to be able to drop off film and pick it up processed and printed four hours later … one hour if you wanted to pay the premium!

09-17-2021, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

the good old film camera days
I am glad those days are gone. I have less disappointing pictures now, than in the film days. And with instant review, I can correct a picture with a delay of a few seconds instead of forever not being able to have the same circumstances again to make the picture.
09-17-2021, 05:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Do not give them the idea of making a dedicated memory card that you can only use once and have to pay twice the price of the film roll.
09-17-2021, 06:36 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Until Ricoh offers a true "retro-mode," some actions that can do this include:

1) You can easily create something like the 72 exposure constraint: just dig around in the bottom of your obsolete technology box and find an old 512 MB or 1 GB SD card. If you only have one tiny memory card with you, that strictly limits shooting.

2) A bit of duct tape across the back panel display could prevent digital image preview and image review. (It also limits access to all the fancy-pants camera mode options that ye olde filme cameras did not have.)

3) The three-week delay seems a bit harder to create although I'm sure a skilled programmer could write some code that prevents the operating system or image processing software from opening any JPG, DNG, or PEF file with a date stamp less than three weeks old.

09-17-2021, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Another idea: Get a GR III and only use the built-in 2gb memory, keep the screen off at all times and use an external viewfinder
For me, the biggest restriction whenever i shoot film is that I can't change the ISO from mid-roll
09-17-2021, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
For me, the biggest restriction whenever i shoot film is that I can't change the ISO from mid-roll
Ah yeah, I forgot, fix value ISO until rolls is finish, sprinkle some grain and random dust on the exposure to make it more vintage.
09-17-2021, 07:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

sprinkle some grain and random dust on the exposure to make it more vintage.
I see where this is going, then why not have random "rolls" be destroyed by light leaks or shoddy development
09-17-2021, 09:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But you can shoot as many rolls of film in a day as you want! I think the GRIII idea with the built-in memory is the best option so far. Then you can transfer the files to your phone when it's full.
09-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I am glad those days are gone. I have less disappointing pictures now, than in the film days. And with instant review, I can correct a picture with a delay of a few seconds instead of forever not being able to have the same circumstances again to make the picture.
are you less disappointed by each picture or do you have fewer pictures which disappoint you?
09-17-2021, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I imagine there are still many, many Yashica Y35's still available for you to scratch this particular itch with....
Yashica's 'Unexpected' Y35 Camera is Worse Than Anyone Expected | PetaPixel
From the article :
QuoteQuote:
Removing the lens cover caused the lens to separate from the camera body
Interchangeable lenses though It's sad when once great names get bought by Spivs. Demonstrated by Kai W here :
09-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to have this as the STANDARD way that Canon cameras work. I spent several very early mornings shooting sunrise over a lake with birds, and this "dude" showed up with his EOS90D and telephone lens, and just kept blasting away as he panned randomly. Annoyed me and the birds, the birds wisely fled. I was sort of hoping he would too. I heard the shutter activate hundreds of times in the 20 minutes or so he was there. I think I took 3 shots. Call me grumpy.
09-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Surely you have a couple of 2GB SD cards sitting around. That should do. Alternatively, film cameras and the film to feed them are not particularly hard to come by.

Steve