Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
From the article : Interchangeable lenses though It's sad when once great names get bought by Spivs. Demonstrated by Kai W here : Yashica Y35 - $1.2M POS Kickstarter Camera - YouTube
Thanks for sharing that. The 12' 20" mark is worth waiting for.

09-21-2021, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Or pull a frame advance lever.
Already been done. Epson R-D1!
09-21-2021, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Could Ricoh make a firmware release such that camera user can't take more than two 36 x exposures digital rolls per day, after 72 exposures taken in a day the camera is automatically locked and unusable. Image preview not possible until three weeks have passed from the time of the last exposure of the 36 roll (as if you sent the roll to a lab for development). That would remind us of the good old film camera days, no?
Hahaha..... I doubt it would get any traction, but a manual camera with the only automatic function being AF might. I find there are far too many functions and auto functions available on the newer cameras. I grew up using slide film, a very unforgiving media and had to get exposures right or throw away the results. I still only ever shoot on manual exposure & it's hardly rocket science when you know how to read the light meter. The only auto functions I use are WB & AF. Whilst I'm appreciative of todays digital cameras and certainly wouldn't want to go back to film, I can't help wonder how many of the modern photographers actually know how to take a photograph themselves, rather than letting the camera do the work for them.
09-22-2021, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #49

Sometimes, it's important to shoot as if there was film in the digital camera. Slow way down.... Also try learning how to shoot with a digital camera as if it had slide transparency film in it, where there was no post processing!

09-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
It's easy. I always carried a film leader retrieving tool with me throughout the 80's and 90's, I would change rolls midway all the time, either for faster or slower ISO or swapping to B+W, I generally had three different rolls on the go at the same time. I just kept a marker with me to write on the can how many exposures I had done on the roll, then when swapping it back in again, I just shot off that many plus 1 extra to be sure.

I agree, when learning Photography ( and IMHO... generally out and about) its much better to slow down, shoot less, improve your skills, filling buffers and hoping for something doesn't help you.
Wow... I was looking for a leader tool the other day...
You're spot-on about slowing down to improve skills. Our local club has two new film shooters - and their work went from blah to boom! over the course of several months and a few dozen rolls.
09-23-2021, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

OK my turn I started with a box browning in the early 70"s. I then got a practica and right up to 1996 I didn't understand apperature shutter speed etc and so many photo's would come out half black and half exposed the guy at the lab would tell me "your shutter tining is out". Didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I then got a Minolta X300 and with that manual -auto camera I learnt about shutter speeds etc using aperture piooity then I got a Minolta X700 with this camera I got published and some awards then in 2002 I purchased my first digital camera Pentax istd or somthing and never grasped it while exposures were good photo's were good the fact the files ended up hidden in the bowels of my computer made then useless I couldn't just open my photo album to look at them. Now I have more interest as I have my own website a diary to my VW and the repairs etc I do and also a facebook group also dedicated to VW repairs at home type sinario and with facebook and my website I see a point to digital photos but without the net I see no purpose for digital images.I got to the point where 97% of my photos were correctly exposed with film so there was very little waste and the 1 hour wait for processing was filled with anticipation it was like a drug no sooner you got your photos you were out looking for another fix. You also tried to make every photo the one. Now with digital its click click click oh one in the next 100 might turn out a good one. With digital it just doesn't seem to matter so much anymore. Before taking good photos was being different now not taking photos is being diifferent. Just a rant. The fact my Mrs now has dementia has a lot to do with with my negative attitude to images also as the good days are gone now and its a waiting game now. I do need to get out more on my own and take some shots.
09-23-2021, 11:38 AM - 3 Likes   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BobL Quote
Hahaha..... I doubt it would get any traction, but a manual camera with the only automatic function being AF might. I find there are far too many functions and auto functions available on the newer cameras. I grew up using slide film, a very unforgiving media and had to get exposures right or throw away the results. I still only ever shoot on manual exposure & it's hardly rocket science when you know how to read the light meter. The only auto functions I use are WB & AF. Whilst I'm appreciative of today's digital cameras and certainly wouldn't want to go back to film, I can't help wonder how many of the modern photographers actually know how to take a photograph themselves, rather than letting the camera do the work for them.
I often comment on photography questions on Quora. One thing that keeps coming up is believing that a camera (or worse, a smartphone) can handle every shooting situation perfectly. Most of these posters have little idea of how to take a photograph properly. My recommendation is always, learn basic photography if you want better photographs. I recently upgraded to a Pentax KP and love the Tav setting, which is basically setting both SS and aperture, and the camera adjusts the exposure via ISO. I've been taking photographs since my Spotmatic days, so it all makes sense to me. The other recommendation that I see other people posting is to slow down and become deliberate when you shoot. I still try to shoot as if I have a finite amount of film, as one of the drawbacks with digital is that it is too easy to just shoot away and hope you get a keeper among them.

09-23-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butchblack Quote
I often comment on photography questions on Quora. One thing that keeps coming up is believing that a camera (or worse, a smartphone) can handle every shooting situation perfectly. Most of these posters have little idea of how to take a photograph properly. My recommendation is always, learn basic photography if you want better photographs. I recently upgraded to a Pentax KP and love the Tav setting, which is basically setting both SS and aperture, and the camera adjusts the exposure via ISO. I've been taking photographs since my Spotmatic days, so it all makes sense to me. The other recommendation that I see other people posting is to slow down and become deliberate when you shoot. I still try to shoot as if I have a finite amount of film, as one of the drawbacks with digital is that it is too easy to just shoot away and hope you get a keeper among them.
I haven't seen anyone mention Sunny 16 on this thread. Try it with your digital; you might be surprised. Shutter Speed = 1/ISO setting. Here's my take on the concept (which I have used since 1954 approximately):
f/22: Beach in bright sun
f/16: Normal scene in bright sun: -- hence the name
f/11: Bright cloudy light
f/8: Cloudy
f/5.6: Dark cloudy
f/4: Miserable rainy lighting
f/2.8: Dawn or Dusk.
09-24-2021, 12:40 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something that is slow to work, requires some thought but still gives instant feedback (sort of). Although I don't think a firmware upgrade to your Pentax will work all that well. Maybe a special back that requires you to pull out sheets of paper before you can view the screen.

09-24-2021, 01:56 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wirrah Quote
Maybe a special back that requires you to pull out sheets of paper before you can view the screen.
.. and always use a tripod with a black cloth over your head . Actually, with Lady L's P&S which has only a live view screen, the black cloth would be a good idea when the sun is shining on it.
09-24-2021, 02:55 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Having recently been made aware of how expensive film has become I checked our freezer stock. Looks like our pensions could be getting a boost if we sell it or bankrupt us if we expose and process it.
09-24-2021, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #57
Forum Member

09-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Are you kidding? - I don't think younger photographers KNOW how to judge peak moments. They just turn on burst mode thinking ONE of those two-three dozen frames will get what I wanted! They will all have heart attacks if their bodies lock up every 36 frames.
I believe the young photographers are the ones bringing back film. It's the older ones who complain about the film days you know

I also don't understand this thread. There's nothing that stops me from putting another roll into my camera after the 36 exposures. I think satire is a little funnier when it makes sense right?
09-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I recently sold my old 645 film kit after 10 years ownership and barely using it to a semi local wedding photographer that wanted a cool old film camera for hobby use. He kept bugging me to see some shots from my LX, so I loaded it and a Superprogram today, and went out with my kids to see what we could see. I brought my K3 along too, and my 10 year old daughter played with it a little, but playing with film again was a good reminder for me to slow down and think about each shot. My son asked if we could look at the pictures when we got home, and if they would come out of the camera like a polaroid or something. At least with 35mm film I don't have to pack around a different set of lenses, so I might have to pack one of them around more often. I've got them, might as well use them, even if it's only occasionally. I'm still really looking forward to the K1 I've got coming in the mail though.
Kristian
09-30-2021, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Picked this up in the late 1970's. I think the fastest general consumer film back then was 1600 ASA (now ISO) - not counting extended processing of negative film.
And yes this pocket guide is still handy today.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo