Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2021, 01:22 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

I have always used and use jpeg with a neutral profile. It is undoubtedly the one that stores the most information and is easier to manage in PP.
The other profiles can make the image appear better immediately but maybe if you want to modify or retrieve information it is likely that it is lost. Obviously someone will say but why not use the raw for PP. I have always also evaluated the practicality aspects (light files, PP however not important, etc) and I have always found myself well. Now that I have a k1 I have a double card, a raw and a jpeg. The raw I never open them the same, at most I keep them, but I continue to work on neutral jpegs. I do first. But with the double card if you love other "ready" profiles there are no problems to recover data from the raw. Everyone has their own priorities. my two cents

10-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
I have always used and use jpeg with a neutral profile. It is undoubtedly the one that stores the most information and is easier to manage in PP.
The other profiles can make the image appear better immediately but maybe if you want to modify or retrieve information it is likely that it is lost. Obviously someone will say but why not use the raw for PP. I have always also evaluated the practicality aspects (light files, PP however not important, etc) and I have always found myself well. Now that I have a k1 I have a double card, a raw and a jpeg. The raw I never open them the same, at most I keep them, but I continue to work on neutral jpegs. I do first. But with the double card if you love other "ready" profiles there are no problems to recover data from the raw. Everyone has their own priorities. my two cents
I sort of 'get' what OP is after. I've never shot strictly RAW or jpeg. I shoot RAW+. Both my K-3 and K-1 store the RAW vs jpeg on separate cards. But I shot RAW+ even with my earlier Pentax cameras with a single card slot.

Here is what I have not seen in this thread... The RAW image includes a jpeg thumbnail, which is what is loaded by most RAW editors as a starting point. Yes, you can 'reverse' the starting point because the RAW image has it all - but I gather OP doesn't want to do that. To each their own.

I prefer to let my jpeg settings be my starting point. Where the jpeg is 'good enough' that is what I use (maybe with minor edits). For the few images that I think deserve more work, I load the RAW version - and do whatever I feel needs doing.
10-09-2021, 12:10 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Is it correct if I say that uniWB is there to make sure the right side of the live view histogram represent the max level the sensor can record for any of the primary colors?
Correct but you can also include highlight blinkies

---------- Post added 10-09-2021 at 12:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The RAW image includes a jpeg thumbnail, which is what is loaded by most RAW editors as a starting point. Yes, you can 'reverse' the starting point because the RAW image has it all - but I gather OP doesn't want to do that. To each their own
What he is looking to do is adjust the camera somehow to best measure how the sensor is being used as most cameras have different optimum exposures for raw or jpeg shooting. And just as important how the color channels are being record within the raw file.

Often times we hear that people will underexpose to help prevent the reds in their images for what they think of as clipping but most of the time the reds can be underexposed by 1 to 2 and even 4 stop so they are not preventing what is not happening.
12-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #34
Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks as this thread was very educational.