Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 03:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Live view problems

Live view on my K1-II just won't work with some of my lenses but is fine with others. When it fails it just hunts slowly before giving up out of focus.

Ones which won't work:
DFA 15-30 SDM

DFA* 70-200 DC

DFA 150-450 DC

Ones which do work (selection)

DFA 24-70 SDM

FA*300 f4.5 screwdrive

DA18-250 screwdrive

I can't see any definite pattern here, one SDM lens works but the other doesn't. Screwdrive is fine and quite quick. It isn't aperture related as the DA18-250 is f6.3 at the long end and works fine. Neither of the DC lenses works. All work fine through the OVF. I would be grateful for any clues to solving this before I send it in for service.

10-13-2021, 04:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What happens when not in live view, and you use the optical viewfinder?
10-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
What happens when not in live view, and you use the optical viewfinder?
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
All work fine through the OVF.
They appear to work from what the op said.
10-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are the wide-open f values of the lenses that don't work. It's possible that the contrast AF doesn't have enough light to focus. I have that issue with an f5.6 lens in darker situations but if I have full sunlight, it focuses fine most of the time (It works at all apertures and well into darkly lighted scenes with the OVF). Lighting conditions will certainly contribute to any difficulty. Also, you have to give the AF something to focus on. If you have a plain background or sky in the focus area, that makes it all that much harder for the contrast VF to work.

10-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does this mean that some lenses can never ever lock focus in LV?, or is it in some specific conditions they do not focus?
Could it be because of poor light or low contrast on the subject you try to focus on.

Have you tried different AF settings?
10-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I very seldom use live view but the OP's message peaked my curiosity. Of the lenses listed, I only have the 15-30 so did a little informal test and, to the point, there is something different...final shot not as focused. Focused at about the one-foot minimum on a bar code (lots of contrast) LV a blur, optical method crisp. The part of this informal test that may have played a role is that initial request in LV to "compose" and then hit the OK before pushing the shutter getting a focus and then recording the image. Not sure if the composing process actually was the focusing action as the focusing operation in either mode is fairly silent. Just my two-cents worth but definitely left me wondering. Thanks for the head's up.
10-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The camera is a K-1 upgraded to mkII and has the latest firmware. I have been round the block a few times with my Pentax DSLRs since my *istD days so I hope I know what I am doing by now. Doesn't rule out operator error of course but I am using the same technique on all lenses. The behaviour of each lens is consistent - some work every time and some never work.
OVF focus is fine on all lenses. I am testing in bright daylight on a variety of well defined contrasty objects, trying both centre point and auto-select options. Aperture isn't a factor as an older f6.3 lens works and newer f2.8 lenses don't under the same lighting conditions.

10-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Post a video of the issue happening and not happening; maybe we can spot something.
10-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PDAF and CDAF have separate settings in the menu. Maybe there is a setting in the Live View focus section causing problems. I just check with my DFA*70-200 and focus was spot on.
10-13-2021, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 70-200 and 150-450 both have the focus range limit switches (not sure about 15-30) - maybe you have inadvertently selected one of the focus ranges? I have done this a few times and wondered why the focus doesnt work.
10-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Does this mean that some lenses can never ever lock focus in LV?, or is it in some specific conditions they do not focus?
Could it be because of poor light or low contrast on the subject you try to focus on.

Have you tried different AF settings?
Yes, there are some circumstances or lens/subject combinations that will not focus in live view, also some that don't focus in optical view!
Yes, those are the basic reasons.
10-14-2021, 03:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It is not a focus limit switch issue and I am testing all lenses under the same conditions. The lenses which fail never get an AF lock in live view on any target, they rack past sharp focus covering the full focus range before stopping at infinity. Even setting accurate manual focus then switching to live view AF does not change that behaviour, the focus racks then stops having failed to focus. My DFA24-70 works just fine as do all my screwdrive lenses, DA and FF.

As you can imagine it is annoying that my latest and most expensive lenses won't work properly on my latest and most expensive body.

I just remembered that my K-7 has live view so tried all my AF lenses on that. All work in live view, painfully slowly but it was always like that which is why I forgot it had that function. So it is only the combinations of upgraded K-1 II and DFA15-30, DFA*70-200 and DFA150-450 which just won't focus in live view.
10-14-2021, 04:24 AM   #13
Lev
Veteran Member

It is not a focus limit switch issue and I am testing all lenses under the same conditions. The lenses which fail never get an AF lock in live view on any target, they rack past sharp focus covering the full focus range before stopping at infinity. Even setting accurate manual focus then switching to live view AF does not change that behaviour, the focus racks then stops having failed to focus. My DFA24-70 works just fine as do all my screwdrive lenses, DA and FF.

As you can imagine it is annoying that my latest and most expensive lenses won't work properly on my latest and most expensive body.

I just remembered that my K-7 has live view so tried all my AF lenses on that. All work in live view, painfully slowly but it was always like that which is why I forgot it had that function. So it is only the combinations of upgraded K-1 II and DFA15-30, DFA*70-200 and DFA150-450 which just won't focus in live view.

I would reset the camera and see if this is related to software misconfiguration, somehow accidently messed up... Why don't try?
10-14-2021, 05:08 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have tried resetting but it makes no difference. Just for a laugh I tried an old FA28-70 f4 which is badly fogged and unusable - even it will focus in live view!
10-14-2021, 05:10 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did these work before the k1ii upgrade?