Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2021, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two cameras with built-in GPS - my K-3II and Hasselblad HV - and I have it disabled on both. I understand the benefits and I can see why people use and like it, but I just don't need it and I'd rather save a bit of battery life. Given that, I'd certainly prefer if the entire top plate on my K-3II was alloy.

Regarding the location of the GPS module, in my HV it's in one side of the camera rather than the top hump. On the rare occasions I've used it, it's not had any problem with reception... so it's definitely possible to have the module located elsewhere than the hump.

One option might be to include it in the optional battery grip. It would bump up the price of the accessory, so folks that don't need that functionality might object... but it would mean GPS could be added without occupying the flash hot-shoe.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-29-2021 at 05:35 AM.
11-29-2021, 04:56 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Never used it but thinking I should start.
11-29-2021, 05:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It’s on my list for next summer to try Astro photography with my K1MKII. I’ve had the camera for 2 years now and never even tried it. I use a separate GPS for geotagging all my photos, and have done so for 15 years, so geotagging shots from a trip is part of my workflow any way and since I only have the one body with a built in GPS it makes more sense to use my hand held unit, which has maps and other data available any way.
11-29-2021, 05:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use the GPS only for the astrotracer, which is like 3-5 times a year. I could live without it, but I'd rather have it. Not sure if it would be practical to put the GPS receptor anywhere else to ensure a full alloy chassis, though. In the A99 that Mike mentioned, it's near the connector ports, but AFAIK the GPS is only used for geotagging - while Astrotracer needs the orientation, which is probably more demanding in terms of "no metals nearby".

11-29-2021, 05:36 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used it since the O-GPS1 was introduced and now have both the K-3ii and K-1ii. I have also used the phone based GPS on my K-3iii, I always use GPS tagging when hiking in our desert and mountains to keep a record of the exact spot I find interesting things. I have not thought it reduced battery life appreciably. I do not use it in the city much.
11-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With my old K-3 II I used it quite often. Geotagging photos was very handy, I can go back and see exactly which of the dozens of soccer fields in that 2-hour circle around DC my kids played on. I'd sometimes go on a hike and geotag the trail I took; I used it several times around the family farm in rural Virginia when we weren't on marked trails. And I occasionally used it for Astrotracer.

Now that I have a Mark III I will sometimes fiddle with the phone connection and ImageSync, which is usually multi-step pain in the butt to get to work. And Astrotracer doesn't function without O-GPS1, which I don't have. I would much prefer a built-in solution.

Not sure what the worries are about the GPS being in a vulnerable position on the camera. Have many of you actually damaged the top of the camera in a way that a more ruggedized design without GPS would have protected it? If the topic hadn't been brought up here I wouldn't have even known that there was anything I was supposed to be worrying about.
11-29-2021, 05:49 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use it often, especially when exploring new sites with the K-1, in case I want to go back later. I've used astro-tracer a few times. I also have the O-GPS1 that I use with the 645D and 645Z, and I use it when out in the world fairly often. I wish the O-GPS1 would work with the GRIII, as it's a perfect travel camera I carry around.
My big complain about the O-GPS1 is the darn AAA battery - I've had that die on me and I didn't notice - so shame on me. I wish it could get power from the camera somehow.

11-29-2021, 05:50 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have used it since the O-GPS1 was introduced and now have both the K-3ii and K-1ii. I have also used the phone based GPS on my K-3iii, I always use GPS tagging when hiking in our desert and mountains to keep a record of the exact spot I find interesting things.
There was a thread a few years back discussing battery drain in the K-3II when switched off but with GPS still enabled:

K-3ii GPS Battery Drain - PentaxForums.com

I don't think it was ever concluded for certain that GPS was the culprit rather than dodgy batteries or something else...

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Not sure what the worries are about the GPS being in a vulnerable position on the camera. Have many of you actually damaged the top of the camera in a way that a more ruggedized design without GPS would have protected it? If the topic hadn't been brought up here I wouldn't have even known that there was anything I was supposed to be worrying about.
There's been a fair few K-1 owners in these forums whose cameras have taken a tumble and the prism / GPS housing has broken. Of course, a drop that bad could arguably knock things out of alignment even with a solid alloy housing... but external breakage would be less likely.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-29-2021 at 06:00 AM.
11-29-2021, 05:50 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if they could place the antenna only into a portion of the top pentaprism and use carbon fiber rather than metal to protect it.
11-29-2021, 05:53 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I wonder if they could place the antenna only into a portion of the top pentaprism and use carbon fiber rather than metal to protect it.
That seems like a reasonable suggestion. But maybe the GPS chip has to be close to the antenna to prevent interference.
11-29-2021, 05:54 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That seems like a reasonable suggestion. But maybe the GPS chip has to be close to the antenna to prevent interference.
I’m not aware of any of the design parameters so it’s just me tossing random thoughts. Lol. You make a good point.
11-29-2021, 06:30 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the GPS on the K1 all the time - I like having the shots geotagged when I hike. I’ve played around with astrotracer feature a bit, thought it was great, but haven’t really used it enough. One of these days I will spend some time with it.

I still own an O-GPS but haven’t used it in a long time. I found it added more weight and changed the balance of the camera enough that I prefer hiking without it. I really wish the KP had it built in because I use it more when I’m out on a hike, preferring it’s small size and weight over the K1.

While there are things I would like on the K3III, the lack of a built-in GPS was high on the list of why I didn’t buy it.
11-29-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I still own an O-GPS but haven’t used it in a long time. I found it added more weight and changed the balance of the camera enough that I prefer hiking without it. I really wish the KP had it built in because I use it more when I’m out on a hike, preferring it’s small size and weight over the K1.
I was quite disappointed when they announced a refresh of the O-GPS1 that appears to be the same size/weight as the old one, and I think it still uses a AAA battery that in the old unit gave you only half a day's use. It's not that heavy, but it takes up a larger volume than many phones. Maybe they didn't have the budget or manpower for a redesign, but it seems do-able to make a new GPS unit that's powered by the hotshoe and is significantly smaller.
11-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my K-3-II the GPS is always on. I don't know if it shortens battery life or not as I don't think I have ever turned it off. And for me carrying an extra battery is an "automatic" anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I use the K3iii with geotagging via my phone. It works well.
You would have trouble convincing me of the convenience of this. This seems more awkward than the Garmin GPS suction-cupped to the windshield of my 13 year old GMC Yukon. Would you accept such a "kludgy" work-around on your computer?

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Your thoughts came to my mind also. I did see one thread where someone dropped their new K-1 while out hiking, but not much else. There was also a photo of the K-3-II compared to the K-3. They both had metal housings on the prism.
11-29-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

There will be two kinds of people. People like myself who do up to 19 day trips in wilderness (or other places) where they know they won't remember where every shot was taken. We love the GPS function. I will often cross three or more different lakes in a single day plus do multiple portages.

People who can always remember where they were, because they have really good memories or don't take a lot of images from a lot of different locations during a single day may not need it at all.

To me, it doesn't matter. People should do what meets thier needs and buy what meets their needs. I'm quite thankful there's a GPS in my camera.

But that being said, no tilt screen and no GPS on the K-3iii is a downer.

People who go to only to places they know, won't need it. People who scout for photogenic locations and basically wander looking for them want to be able to get back.

Last edited by normhead; 11-29-2021 at 10:05 AM.