Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2021, 12:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How many are truly using bulit-in GPS?

I've used Pentax K1 since the year of release, but I only used the GPS tagging once for testing that it worked. I can easily remember the exact places I took my photos, even years after having taken them, that's why I didn't feel the need to use GPS tagging. The only time I made use of GPS was for the Astrotracer, but that only on the occasions of shooting night skies. In general, I'd prefer to have the flash hot-shoe anchored to a solid magnesium allow frame, like it is on the K3 Mk III, and buy a separate GPS module for night skies photography. Am I the only one feeling that way?

11-29-2021, 12:44 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I use it all the time. Why not? Very handy on hikes and international travel.
11-29-2021, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How many are truly using bulit-in GPS?
100% of the time.
No astrotracer, simply geotagging pictures.
It does suck a little power, but to me it is valuable to have the pics placed on a map. Makes it easier to keep track of the hiking paths.
It would be a real step back to not have it onboard in a future body!
11-29-2021, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I'm using GPS in all my pictures, except for repro at home. It's one of the reasons i don't Like the K3-III.

11-29-2021, 01:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used Pentax K1 since the year of release, but I only used the GPS tagging once for testing that it worked. I can easily remember the exact places I took my photos, even years after having taken them, that's why I didn't feel the need to use GPS tagging. The only time I made use of GPS was for the Astrotracer, but that only on the occasions of shooting night skies. In general, I'd prefer to have the flash hot-shoe anchored to a solid magnesium allow frame, like it is on the K3 Mk III, and buy a separate GPS module for night skies photography. Am I the only one feeling that way?
You are not the only one ... I have never used the GPS "feature" in any of my cameras.
11-29-2021, 01:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
I'm using GPS in all my pictures, except for repro at home. It's one of the reasons i don't Like the K3-III.
I use the K3iii with geotagging via my phone. It works well.
11-29-2021, 01:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own my K-1 for 3 month only and so far I am still taking pictures in familiar places. So there was no need to use the GPS up until now. But one of the reasons I bought the K-1 in additon to my K-70 was the built in GPS. First I own a O-GPS for astrophotography, but it is an additonal device to handle in the dark and I thought a built in GPS will make taking pictures easier. Whether this will be fulfilled in practice remains to be seen. Second I can now just switch on GPS when I know I will publish my outdoor pictures in a forum. The K-70 with an O-GPS is not a very convenient solution for this.

On the other side I rarerly use a flash and I never had the feeling, that the hot shoe of any of my cameras was inappropriate to carry my flashes (old Metz MZ-3 and MZ-4). The one of the K-70 has no issues with those flashes for sure.

11-29-2021, 01:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have had my K-1 since the first day it was available to us "ordinary customers", after pre-ordering it. Never used the GPS. There are a lot of other features I don't use either. Still very happy with the camera.

Kjell
11-29-2021, 01:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the fact that the camera has it built in but I dislike how vulnerable it makes the top of the camera. I seldom use GPS, only for astrotracer.
I would like it if they changed the location of the GPS module to a slightly more protected location.
11-29-2021, 02:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have it permanently turned on - mostly for Flickr mapping, but it does no harm (except to battery life, which isn't that great a drain) and I ca always 'remove location info' or whatever it says in Lightroom if I don't want to reveal it
11-29-2021, 02:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, never used it. I assume, possibly incorrectly, that it would reduce battery charge rather more than I want. I let my phone do the GPS work if I need it to.
But it's good to have as it is important to many users and that's good for the brand. Don't see any real downsides in having it ...
11-29-2021, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use it always when I'm not at home...

Last edited by fs999; 11-30-2021 at 05:59 AM.
11-29-2021, 02:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I use it all the time, for simple photograph or astrotracer.

If i don't want to show it i delete or modify it in Lightroom.
11-29-2021, 03:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is the one gesture I wish my KP had, it would always be on. I have an OGPS1 but don’t always remember or have time to attach it.
11-29-2021, 03:12 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I would like it if they changed the location of the GPS module to a slightly more protected location.
^this^

I really didn't like how the O-GPS1 would take up the flash shoe forcing one to rely on the PC sync port (If the camera even has one - i'm looking at you KP) - even with its metal shoe, it was quite vulnerable. The built in one on the K-1 could be better placed however I honestly can't see where else they could hope to put it and still get a reliable signal.

For reference:

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-29-2021 at 03:27 AM.