Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #1

K-1 MKII - How to set focal length of manual lens?

Hello everyone,
Earlier this year I purchased a Pentax K1 Mark II Silver Edition camera with the 50mm Silver Edition lens. I moved from a Pentax K-200D. I am experiencing difficulty operating the K1 in its use of the Astrotracer function and in the terminology and descriptions of the use of the camera in its manual. My first camera was a 35mm Sears Auto and I accumulated several lens under the Sears brand to use with that camera back in the mid 70's. One of the lens I have is a 135mm 1:2.8 which I would like to use with the K1 and the Astrotracer function. The problem I am facing at the moment is "Setting the Focal Length" for this lens on the K1. The very first instructions in the manual are: 1 Set [26 Using Aperture Ring] to [Enable] in the C4 menu. With the 135mm lens attached and I turn the Aperture ring from one end to the other while looking at C4 menu and the "Set the Focal Length" is dimmed out where I cannot select it. If I put the 50mm lens back on the camera and go to the C4 menu "Set the Focal Length" is still dimmed out. So I then put the 135mm lens back on the camera and turn it on and I get the prompt for [Input Focal Length] and when I click on the up or down arrow it does not give the screen to select the focal length from as illustrated in the manual.

Back in the summer I took the camera to my niece's son's t-ball game, hoping to take video and photo's. Got to the game and I could not find the setting to place the camera in video mode. So I took photo's which turned out great. When I got home I read through the manual to find how to set the camera into video mode. I now know how to work that function, but it was not obvious to me while I was at the game to find the setting on the camera. You have to look from a angle at the top of the camera to see where to enable that function.

Last December I transitioned to retirement from IBM, where I worked for 23 years, 21 years as a HP-UX systems administrator. I find that with the K1 I need to study the manual like I studied the manual's for HP-UX!

So my question(s) to the group are:
1. Do others have difficulty using the K-1, and have to spend a lot of time studying the manual to learn how to enable functions that were easy to enable on your previous camera?
2. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong on the K-1 to set the Focal Length of the 135mm lens?
3. Is there an easier way to enable and use the Astrotracer function out in the field when it is dark?

Maybe Ricoh needs to create an app that one can use on your cell phone to ask it questions about how to setup certain features of the K-1 MkII with voice response.

Thanks everyone in advance for your time and hope you have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Karey

12-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should ask when you turn the camera on, and can also be set from the info screen. It does grey out when you attach a lens that reports a focal length, but I haven't found a combination of setting that seems to disable it with manual lenses. You may need to have SR enabled, but that doesn't seem to grey out the focal length setting on my K-1 with the latest firmware.

You may want to try resetting all settings and/or doing a firmware update.
12-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwtodd1255 Quote
The very first instructions in the manual are: 1 Set [26 Using Aperture Ring] to [Enable] in the C4 menu. With the 135mm lens attached and I turn the Aperture ring from one end to the other while looking at C4 menu and the "Set the Focal Length" is dimmed out where I cannot select it.
I can't fully follow your description (and I only have a K-3), but you have to enable the usage of an aperture ring only once in the menu, after that you don't need to change that setting ever again, no matter how often you switch lenses.

The focal length input usually pops up everytime you turn the camera on (when you use a lens that has no data pin to communicate with the camera), if you switch lenses with the camera turned on (or change the focal lenght for any other reason - when using old zoom lenses for instance - you can search for the focal length in the menu too)
12-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the brand and type of lens?

12-19-2021, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the "Set the Focal Length" is dimmed out where I cannot select it.
Most likely, it means the camera could read the focal length from the lens contacts, so you don't need to enter the focal length manually.

3. Is there an easier way to enable and use the Astrotracer function out in the field when it is dark?
Add the astro-tracer function button in the INFO tile.

I find that with the K1 I need to study the manual like I studied the manual's for HP-UX!
There's always a learning curve when we use a new device, or do something we've never done before, that's totally normal. We all went through a learning phase when we got out first Pentax camera, like everyone else when they got their first camera whatever the brand was. And the older we get, the slower we learn, I could notice this for myself as I'm not as quick to learn new things as I was when I was in my 20s.
12-19-2021, 03:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Many of the Sears cameras and lens were rebranded Ricoh if so then setting the lens on A the K1 the will be able to auto set the aperture. Using those lens watch out for the Ricoh pin.

Now to set the K1 request the focal length.....

1. In C4 menu look for "Using the aperture ring" and set it to "Enable"
2. turn the camera off
3. Take the lens off the A setting to any aperture and attach the lens
4. Turn the camera on and the menu should pop up requesting the focal length
5. Use the up/down arrows to select the lens focal length.
( I found it best with short focal zoom lens to set it at the max focal length if changing lengths using zoom. However if you want to be able to change to the focal length your using on a zoom lens after the lens is attached then Camera menu 4 is where to change the focal length to what you are setting the lens to.)
6. press OK to set
12-19-2021, 04:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
3. Take the lens off the A setting to any aperture and attach the lens
This is unnecessary in my opinion, as long as the lens has no data pin, the camera will always ask for the focal length, no matter if the aperture ring is set to A or not (at least it doesn't matter for my K-3)

12-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
This is unnecessary in my opinion, as long as the lens has no data pin, the camera will always ask for the focal length, no matter if the aperture ring is set to A or not (at least it doesn't matter for my K-3)
Same. There are a few manual focus lenses (modern) that include a data pin and communicate focal length to Pentax bodies if I recall correctly. That is why I asked for the lens specific earlier. Hopefully we can get some info on that.

Also any shots taken with the lens would have Exif that would show what focal length the camera thought it was using.
12-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a K1, not K1ii. I've found it's easiest to set focal length by turning the camera off and on again. It is also available through the menu, but I've just learned to do it with the power switch.
I like that it gives me a list of quite a few recently used lengths down the left of the screen, so I can usually just select one of those.

I agree that getting astrotracer ready is a bit of a process. But the photos can be well worth the effort!
Well... not mine, but people who post on here, anyways...
12-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as i know, when shake reduction is off, the camera doesn't ask for focal length. And that seems logic, because why should the camera know the focal length in that situation.
12-19-2021, 01:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
because why should the camera know the focal length in that situation.
It does still put the focal length in the EXIF data, which I really appreciate when I go back to look through my shots (usually way later). Won't change anything about the shot, though, true.
12-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What is the brand and type of lens?
Sears, 135mm 1:2.8
12-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
You are right I stand corrected on that. The Ricoh P lens data pin only works on Ricoh program cameras.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-19-2021 at 03:47 PM.
12-20-2021, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Maybe Ricoh needs to create an app that one can use on your cell phone to ask it questions about how to setup certain features of the K-1 MkII with voice response.
It's not necessary. If you have issues with using the camera, just ask for help in this forum, you'll get human answers instead of robotic answers from a mobile phone.
12-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
It should ask when you turn the camera on, and can also be set from the info screen. It does grey out when you attach a lens that reports a focal length, but I haven't found a combination of setting that seems to disable it with manual lenses. You may need to have SR enabled, but that doesn't seem to grey out the focal length setting on my K-1 with the latest firmware.

You may want to try resetting all settings and/or doing a firmware update.
Hi, I did a firmware update to the latest version and still have the same results. I have contacted Pentax/Ricoh support and will now wait and see what they say!
Thanks,
Karey