Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2018
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 63
Intervalometer and Bulb mode K1

I would like to take 2 minute exposures through my guided telescope. I need 10 to 20, 2 minute filtered exposures. I can use bulb but have to shoot each shot manually or with 2second timer. I canít set up the Intervalometer to space each exposure by 5 seconds for 10 to 20 shots at 2 minutes of exposure time. The Intervalometer icon is gone when in bulb. If ever an Intervalometer is needed, it would be for this scenario. I now have to buy a third party external Intervalometer for this to work. Can this much needed feature be made available while in bulb mode through a firmware upgrade to the K1?

01-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,350
Pressing the green button when in Bulb mode on the K-1 will get you timed exposures of up to 20 minutes. Not sure if you can use this in combination with the interval mode but you can try and see.
01-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alabama
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 595
I guess you need an intervalometer, but they are easy to get. I use AODELAN Shutter Release Timer Remote Control that I bought from amazon
01-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,822
QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
I now have to buy a third party external Intervalometer for this to work.
Such need not be expensive and if one is clever, the external may be combined with appropriate drive modes to satisfy a number of use cases. I use the Bower unit reviewed in the link below, though there are many other, almost identical, units on the market at $30-$40 USD price points.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database


Steve

01-14-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
Grimmus's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle (Aust.)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
Can this much needed feature be made available while in bulb mode through a firmware upgrade to the K1?
You would think so - the Kp can do this!
01-14-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2018
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 63
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
You would think so - the Kp can do this!
Really?
The KP allows bulb mode in combination with the intervalometer?
Does the KP have 2 modes for bulb like the K1?

---------- Post added 01-14-22 at 12:55 PM ----------

Sent this to Pentax, response below.
This brand is dropping the ball.
Dead ends.
How about forwarding my inquiry up the chain to research and development to encourage a firmware update.
Listen to your customers!
Donít send me to a third party for solutions! WTF!


I would like to take 2 minute exposures through my guided telescope. I need 10 to 20, 2 minute filtered exposures. I can use bulb but have to shoot each shot manually or with 2second timer. I canít set up the Intervalometer to space each exposure by 5 seconds for 10 to 20 shots at 2 minutes of exposure time. The Intervalometer icon is gone when in bulb. If ever an Intervalometer is needed, it would be for this scenario. I now have to buy a third party external Intervalometer for this to work. Can this much needed feature be made available while in bulb mode through a firmware upgrade to the K1?

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: tsscRicohImaging@ricoh-usa.com
Date: January 14, 2022 at 1:48:24 PM EST
To: iamberserker_@hotmail.com
Subject: I would like to take 2 minute exposures through my guided telescope. I need 10 to 20, 2 minute filtered
Reply-To: iamberserker_@hotmail.com


Ricoh Logo

Dear Jeff,



Thank you, for contacting Ricoh Imaging.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.



What you need is an external intervalometer compatible with your camera.



Pentax does not make one.



I am just using Amazon to show several examples of what could suit your needs.



Amazon.ca : external intervelometer for Pentax



Thank you,





NOTICE: This email and any attachments are intended solely for use by authorized recipients. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.


Ref:MSG75710138
01-14-2022, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Senior Member
Grimmus's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle (Aust.)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
Really?
The KP allows bulb mode in combination with the intervalometer?
Does the KP have 2 modes for bulb like the K1?
It does! Toggle with green button between trad B mode or timed in 10 second increments up to 20 minutes. With the timed B mode, interval shooting is enabled.

There was comprehensive discussion around this on a thread elsewhere on PF - seems the Kp and the K3-3 are the only cameras with this built in and I was very surprised to learn that the K1-i and ii missed out? It seems strange? There are a multitude of subtle differences in the available functionality between models. Proof in a picture.....this startrail capture is 36 x 2 minute exposures captured on the Kp set up and 1 click - stacked in postpro.



01-14-2022, 09:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,822
QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
Thank you, for contacting Ricoh Imaging.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.



What you need is an external intervalometer compatible with your camera.



Pentax does not make one.
Amazing advice...sort of echos that of comments on this thread.


Steve
01-16-2022, 12:01 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2018
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 63
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
It does! Toggle with green button between trad B mode or timed in 10 second increments up to 20 minutes. With the timed B mode, interval shooting is enabled.

There was comprehensive discussion around this on a thread elsewhere on PF - seems the Kp and the K3-3 are the only cameras with this built in and I was very surprised to learn that the K1-i and ii missed out? It seems strange? There are a multitude of subtle differences in the available functionality between models. Proof in a picture.....this startrail capture is 36 x 2 minute exposures captured on the Kp set up and 1 click - stacked in postpro.
Thank you for the info.
I may have to look for a used KP.
I did send the problem to Pentax Europe, Iíve had good luck with them in the past.
A ticket was created and a promise of future correspondence.
Great shot!
Where was it taken?

---------- Post added 01-16-22 at 12:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Amazing advice...sort of echos that of comments on this thread.


Steve
Thanks for the support!
The advice of buying one from Amazon while one is available in camera doesnít sit well with me.
Thanks again.
01-16-2022, 04:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
Grimmus's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle (Aust.)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
Where was it taken?
This is looking south at Catherine Hill Bay, NSW, Australia (not very funny story behind the shot is that I was about 100 m from the carpark, which then was locked down with a boom gate while I was shooting and it was an extra long wait for someone to let me out at an ungodly hour - joys of night time shooting )
01-17-2022, 02:15 AM   #11
Forum Member
restyl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 66
if anyone does not know - this will not help with interval shooting, but it will help for remote shutter release with a delay...
If you have IR on your phone - you can use the program from xiaomi - Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more. I use it for shooting with a delay from a tripod.
?????????? ? Google Play ? Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more

There is also a program for apple...
01-17-2022, 02:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 329
Time lapse intervalometer remote timer shutter for Canon DSLR 650D 600D Camera | eBay

There are some quite cheap and functional intervalometers on eBay. I'm guessing the same item will be available wherever you're based.
Ultimately I've found remote control of the K1ii via ekos more satisfying as it gives more flexibility and lessens the risk of spoiling the guiding
6 Days Ago   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,822
QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
The advice of buying one from Amazon while one is available in camera doesn’t sit well with me.
Be prepared to be disappointed...

FWIW, others, myself included, have been down this path before you. While the advice may not sit well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and the utility of owning a wired remote/intervalometer cannot be overstated if fine control of interval is required. Good luck doing the task entirely in-camera with your K-1.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 6 Days Ago at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarity
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,822
QuoteOriginally posted by restyl Quote
if anyone does not know - this will not help with interval shooting, but it will help for remote shutter release with a delay...
If you have IR on your phone - you can use the program from xiaomi - Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more. I use it for shooting with a delay from a tripod.
?????????? ? Google Play ? Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more

There is also a program for apple...
My Android phone has an IR blaster and I have found the DSLR Remote app by bitshift to be very useful, partially because it can do interval work!


Steve
6 Days Ago   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2018
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 63
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
This is looking south at Catherine Hill Bay, NSW, Australia (not very funny story behind the shot is that I was about 100 m from the carpark, which then was locked down with a boom gate while I was shooting and it was an extra long wait for someone to let me out at an ungodly hour - joys of night time shooting )
We were in Australia 5 years ago, from Canada. I was in awe every single day during our vaca. Canít wait to get back.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bulb, bulb mode, dslr, exposure, exposures, full frame, full-frame, intervalometer, intervalometer and bulb, k-1, k-1 ii, k1, kp, minute, mode, pentax, pentax k-1, ricoh, telescope, thanks, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K1 astonishing one hour bulb mode exposure biz-engineer Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 18 12-14-2021 01:41 PM
K1 Bulb Mode 2 Jerry62712 Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 9 06-27-2021 08:51 AM
How to use Bulb mode and intervalometer with Pentax K-x? mikeydak Welcomes and Introductions 5 05-12-2021 03:03 PM
Bulb mode on k1? Help! D4rknezz Pentax Full Frame 7 04-19-2018 06:02 PM
Pentax K-3, Manual Mode won't switch to Av, Bulb, but stays in M Mode scotman55 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 12-05-2015 08:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top