Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Intervalometer and Bulb mode K1

I would like to take 2 minute exposures through my guided telescope. I need 10 to 20, 2 minute filtered exposures. I can use bulb but have to shoot each shot manually or with 2second timer. I canít set up the Intervalometer to space each exposure by 5 seconds for 10 to 20 shots at 2 minutes of exposure time. The Intervalometer icon is gone when in bulb. If ever an Intervalometer is needed, it would be for this scenario. I now have to buy a third party external Intervalometer for this to work. Can this much needed feature be made available while in bulb mode through a firmware upgrade to the K1?

01-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pressing the green button when in Bulb mode on the K-1 will get you timed exposures of up to 20 minutes. Not sure if you can use this in combination with the interval mode but you can try and see.
01-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess you need an intervalometer, but they are easy to get. I use AODELAN Shutter Release Timer Remote Control that I bought from amazon
01-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
I now have to buy a third party external Intervalometer for this to work.
Such need not be expensive and if one is clever, the external may be combined with appropriate drive modes to satisfy a number of use cases. I use the Bower unit reviewed in the link below, though there are many other, almost identical, units on the market at $30-$40 USD price points.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve

01-14-2022, 04:55 AM   #5

Can this much needed feature be made available while in bulb mode through a firmware upgrade to the K1?
You would think so - the Kp can do this!
01-14-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
You would think so - the Kp can do this!
Really?
The KP allows bulb mode in combination with the intervalometer?
Does the KP have 2 modes for bulb like the K1?

---------- Post added 01-14-22 at 12:55 PM ----------

Sent this to Pentax, response below.
This brand is dropping the ball.
Dead ends.
How about forwarding my inquiry up the chain to research and development to encourage a firmware update.
Listen to your customers!
Donít send me to a third party for solutions! WTF!

I would like to take 2 minute exposures through my guided telescope. I need 10 to 20, 2 minute filtered exposures. I can use bulb but have to shoot each shot manually or with 2second timer. I canít set up the Intervalometer to space each exposure by 5 seconds for 10 to 20 shots at 2 minutes of exposure time. The Intervalometer icon is gone when in bulb. If ever an Intervalometer is needed, it would be for this scenario. I now have to buy a third party external Intervalometer for this to work. Can this much needed feature be made available while in bulb mode through a firmware upgrade to the K1?

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 14, 2022 at 1:48:24 PM EST
To: iamberserker_@hotmail.com
Subject: I would like to take 2 minute exposures through my guided telescope. I need 10 to 20, 2 minute filtered
Reply-To: iamberserker_@hotmail.com

Ricoh Logo

Dear Jeff,

Thank you, for contacting Ricoh Imaging.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.

What you need is an external intervalometer compatible with your camera.

Pentax does not make one.

I am just using Amazon to show several examples of what could suit your needs.

Amazon.ca : external intervelometer for Pentax

Thank you,

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are intended solely for use by authorized recipients. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Ref:MSG75710138
01-14-2022, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #7

Really?
The KP allows bulb mode in combination with the intervalometer?
Does the KP have 2 modes for bulb like the K1?
It does! Toggle with green button between trad B mode or timed in 10 second increments up to 20 minutes. With the timed B mode, interval shooting is enabled.

There was comprehensive discussion around this on a thread elsewhere on PF - seems the Kp and the K3-3 are the only cameras with this built in and I was very surprised to learn that the K1-i and ii missed out? It seems strange? There are a multitude of subtle differences in the available functionality between models. Proof in a picture.....this startrail capture is 36 x 2 minute exposures captured on the Kp set up and 1 click - stacked in postpro.

01-14-2022, 09:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, for contacting Ricoh Imaging.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.

What you need is an external intervalometer compatible with your camera.

Pentax does not make one.
Amazing advice...sort of echos that of comments on this thread.

Steve
01-16-2022, 12:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
It does! Toggle with green button between trad B mode or timed in 10 second increments up to 20 minutes. With the timed B mode, interval shooting is enabled.

There was comprehensive discussion around this on a thread elsewhere on PF - seems the Kp and the K3-3 are the only cameras with this built in and I was very surprised to learn that the K1-i and ii missed out? It seems strange? There are a multitude of subtle differences in the available functionality between models. Proof in a picture.....this startrail capture is 36 x 2 minute exposures captured on the Kp set up and 1 click - stacked in postpro.
Thank you for the info.
I may have to look for a used KP.
I did send the problem to Pentax Europe, Iíve had good luck with them in the past.
A ticket was created and a promise of future correspondence.
Great shot!
Where was it taken?

---------- Post added 01-16-22 at 12:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Amazing advice...sort of echos that of comments on this thread.

Steve
Thanks for the support!
The advice of buying one from Amazon while one is available in camera doesnít sit well with me.
Thanks again.
01-16-2022, 04:35 AM   #10

Where was it taken?
This is looking south at Catherine Hill Bay, NSW, Australia (not very funny story behind the shot is that I was about 100 m from the carpark, which then was locked down with a boom gate while I was shooting and it was an extra long wait for someone to let me out at an ungodly hour - joys of night time shooting )
01-17-2022, 02:15 AM   #11
Forum Member

if anyone does not know - this will not help with interval shooting, but it will help for remote shutter release with a delay...
If you have IR on your phone - you can use the program from xiaomi - Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more. I use it for shooting with a delay from a tripod.
?????????? ? Google Play ? Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more

There is also a program for apple...
01-17-2022, 02:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Time lapse intervalometer remote timer shutter for Canon DSLR 650D 600D Camera | eBay

There are some quite cheap and functional intervalometers on eBay. I'm guessing the same item will be available wherever you're based.
Ultimately I've found remote control of the K1ii via ekos more satisfying as it gives more flexibility and lessens the risk of spoiling the guiding
6 Days Ago   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The advice of buying one from Amazon while one is available in camera doesn’t sit well with me.
Be prepared to be disappointed...

FWIW, others, myself included, have been down this path before you. While the advice may not sit well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and the utility of owning a wired remote/intervalometer cannot be overstated if fine control of interval is required. Good luck doing the task entirely in-camera with your K-1.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 6 Days Ago at 12:50 PM. Reason: clarity
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by restyl Quote
if anyone does not know - this will not help with interval shooting, but it will help for remote shutter release with a delay...
If you have IR on your phone - you can use the program from xiaomi - Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more. I use it for shooting with a delay from a tripod.
?????????? ? Google Play ? Mi Remote controller - for TV, STB, AC and more

There is also a program for apple...
My Android phone has an IR blaster and I have found the DSLR Remote app by bitshift to be very useful, partially because it can do interval work!

Steve
6 Days Ago   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is looking south at Catherine Hill Bay, NSW, Australia (not very funny story behind the shot is that I was about 100 m from the carpark, which then was locked down with a boom gate while I was shooting and it was an extra long wait for someone to let me out at an ungodly hour - joys of night time shooting )
We were in Australia 5 years ago, from Canada. I was in awe every single day during our vaca. Canít wait to get back.