Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Me, too. In my case because it was so __________.

But I've always thought that these absurdly high ISO's weren't about the absurdly high ISO, but about the improvement of ISO's well below them. Maybe I'm wrong there?

The higher iso numbers aren’t exposed on some systems with similar performance. But you can always shoot underexposed at lower iso and use the nearly iso invariant capabilities of some systems to get similar effects.

01-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The higher iso numbers aren’t exposed on some systems with similar performance. But you can always shoot underexposed at lower iso and use the nearly iso invariant capabilities of some systems to get similar effects.
Indeed so.
01-25-2022, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
In film days are often packed ASA 1000 film and although many of the images look like they were shot on gravel, at least I could get the image! I picked Pentax over everything else because of SR and upgraded to the K-5 and then the K-1 because of their good high-ISO performance.
Ha! Much the same progression as me, except I think my max was ISO 800 film.
01-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Ha! Much the same progression as me, except I think my max was ISO 800 film.
I used to order in special ISO3200 film that had to be kept refrigerated till use to take pics at my daughter's dance recitals back in the film era as no flashes were allowed, of course, and it was a dark hall.

01-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I'm not too familiar with that site. How do you switch between those views? Or ... could you explain further?
There is no way to view the differences per say, the data presented is based on the iso setting of the camera not the at the same exposure depending on the model of camera this can be between 2/3 and 1 stop difference in exposure . Then there is what happens if you base the measurements on the saturation capacity of the raw file. For example at iso 64 for may Nikon camera can ETTR a further 1 stop without worry of clipping any highlights 1 stop of light will have an influence on how much DR is captured.. Most camera that I own from Nikon have about the same amount of highlight headroom in the raw file at iso 64 with a +1 EC as a pentax camera at iso 100
01-26-2022, 03:10 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
There is no way to view the differences per say, the data presented is based on the iso setting of the camera not the at the same exposure depending on the model of camera this can be between 2/3 and 1 stop difference in exposure . Then there is what happens if you base the measurements on the saturation capacity of the raw file. For example at iso 64 for may Nikon camera can ETTR a further 1 stop without worry of clipping any highlights 1 stop of light will have an influence on how much DR is captured.. Most camera that I own from Nikon have about the same amount of highlight headroom in the raw file at iso 64 with a +1 EC as a pentax camera at iso 100
Thanks for indulging my brain-lapse. I read that quickly late at night and thought, "Oh, there's an ETTR setting on the chart page," but didn't see one, hence my question. I live with too many acronyms from too many fields!

Do you find that Pentax cameras any headroom to expose to the right?
01-26-2022, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All cameras do have the ability to pull highlight data. However not all cameras benefit from ETTR to the same extent as not all sensors behave identically, as pixels approach saturation the contrast between capturing usable data and output clipping (signal saturation) can be a very fine line.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
But it would certainly work as documenting X event actually occurred.
It might be of use to photographers attempting to capture exotic electrical activity in the upper earth atmosphere above highly active electrical storms.

- not my photo but above powerful storms there are "sprites" that occur along with lightning strikes where a Pentax DSLR would be capable of capturing.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-27-2022 at 02:19 AM.
01-26-2022, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

My anecdotal (i.e, not bench tested but just my experience in the field) is that my Pentax cameras cannot be ETTR'd to the same degree as the Canon cameras I sometimes use at work. Canon's seem very forgiving in this way. OTOH, my Pentax cameras behave much better underexposed than the Canon's by a wide margin imo. I routinely underexpose my Pentax captures because I have found that the penalty for getting it wrong with ETTR with my cameras can be severe, but there's almost never a penalty for underexposing somewhat. I don't understand whether this is a metering thing with Pentax, or as Digitalis says above a difference in the sensor---I'm generally inclined to listen to what he says, though, as his expertise is extensive.

I used to ETTR based on the late Michael Reichman's advice, but I personally began to find it not applicable in all cases even before I got (back) into Pentax. Also, the fact that the histograms in cameras are based of jpg gives me pause. Fortunately my Pentax cameras behave in a way that seems natural to me, so I no longer worry about it too much except when there are no highlights to blow. Then I do push to the right.
01-26-2022, 07:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
KP user, but seems appropriate here.

While the KP ISO specs are equally "ridiculous", possibly, sometimes there is a use. Took the following pic in near total dark inside my boat a while back at 1/3200sec and ISO 819200 @63mm using a 55-300 PLM. Sure the quality is terrible. But it would certainly work as documenting X event actually occurred. Plenty of detail for that.
It cleans up not so bad...
01-28-2022, 05:17 AM   #25
Unregistered User

I'm not too familiar with that site. How do you switch between those views? Or ... could you explain further?
Go to the right hand column and select (or deselect) the cameras you are or aren't interested in.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 01-28-2022 at 05:50 AM.