Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2023, 11:03 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pblogic Quote
For me it's not that Pentax is bad, it's that I've been with Pentax so long that it's painful to switch, but Pentax doesn't make the right camera for the jobs I want to do at this point.
@pblogic, From your various posts, it seems to me that a Sony system would satisfy your professional needs. Why shouldn't a pro select tools that meet their current needs, enable higher profits, and make their photography work easier?

the lack of engagement and communication just makes it too dicey to use for professional work I think.
I'm not understanding this viewpoint. Wouldn't a pro just get on with the job and use their gear?

I even took a long shot and contacted Pentax, telling them that I'd love to use their system in my work, but I'm worried about no communication about the future plans for the system. I got the response that I expected. "Thank you for being a loyal Pentax customer. I hope we make a new full frame camera in the future too, but that information would be confidential."
Would any other brand reveal their plans? While Ricoh Imaging hasn't indicated when they'll introduce a new full-frame camera, they haven't been totally silent on their strategy and outlook. Not sure what sort of insight is hoped for.

They have this base of people that want to support them, and they just don't seem to care. Pentax has an aging user base. As much as older folks can be content with the status quo, ignoring the future won't help Pentax. If you jump on YouTube you can find countless younger folks making videos about Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji etc. There's a lot of engagement. These brands interact with their customers. People are excited to talk about these products. Pentax had that one The Cameraville guy that gave up on them, and that's about it.
Is it the brands' companies that are 'interacting', or the hordes of users who are trying to monetize their channels through the more-popular brands? Ricoh Imaging isn't totally silent. The Cameraville guy has been all over the map; I don't think he was a dedicated or valuable promoter of the Pentax brand.

they can't sustain a business without new customers, and compared to the other brands what do they have to offer?
Ricoh Imaging has clearly stated their dedication and strategy towards "SLR photography," including digital SLR. Pentax cameras do have unique features.

On the other hand, how do the other brands truly differentiate themselves? Do they? Depending on very specific features or capabilities, a prospective user might favour one brand over the others. Otherwise, the brands are similar IMO.

Their "brand ambassadors" are two old men with no presence online, and one younger girl who is a mixed media artist, not even a full time photographer. She also does nothing to promote the brand. None of them interact with anyone at all.
In fact, all three Ricoh Imaging North American Ambassadors have websites. I know of another Ambassador in Europe, Mike Muizebelt, who also has an online presence and has produced good videos on Pentax gear. I don't know the extent of Ambassadors in other brands. I've had two opportunities to attend presentations by a Nikon Canada Ambassador, Michelle Valberg. She's a highly recognized photographer and Order of Canada recipient, and she certainly spoke highly of her Nikon gear, although not blatantly.

Getting things repaired could take weeks that I don't have to wait because of a small support network, and I just can't justify putting money into professional glass for a system with a dubious future.
I think that other brands have "pro services," (e.g., Sony, Nikon), but I don't know whether they guarantee repairs in a certain timeframe. Certainly, renting equipment in emergency circumstances is easier for brands other than Pentax. I'm not a pro, but I think it would be smart for any pro to have spare equipment on hand--isn't it part of a business plan?

Is Pentax's "dubious future" real or imagined?

As for communications and marketing, I'd say that Ricoh Imaging's sustained promotion and communication of the K-3 Mark III was outstanding. Yes, it was spread out over a year, but they presented interesting and compelling details, introduced several novel aspects of the camera, and produced written pieces and videos. We even got to 'know' some of the designers and engineers. The marketing pitches involved Ricoh Imaging's President personally and the leader of the development effort. They highlighted "Impressions" and perspectives of no fewer than 27 photographers. Brilliant. (They convinced me to get a K-3 Mark III, which I hadn't been planning.)

Ricoh Imaging takes a unique approach to presenting their new products. For example, the HD Pentax-D FA 21mm Limited is covered extensively at the RI website, including messages from the development team and first-hand accounts by accomplished photographers. Other lenses are also covered extensively and promoted in a compelling fashion. It's not the typical ephemeral YouTube stuff that suits short attention spans. Development Story | PENTAX Limited Lens Special site | PENTAX Limited Lens | RICOH IMAGING

Ricoh Imaging has also introduced their film project, cautiously, which has generated a lot of online response. Film is not for everyone, and it doesn't compete with Sony's autofocus capability, but it's out there nonetheless.

My impression is that @pblogic may be struggling with a conflict between being a long-time loyal Pentax user and wanting gear that meets evolving needs. Again, I'd suggest choosing what works in one's professional business, and don't fret too much about Ricoh Imaging and the Pentax brand. In the future, when one's needs further change, simply make a business decision and get something else to meet those new needs.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-02-2023 at 12:00 PM.
02-02-2023, 12:07 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@pblogic, From your various posts, it seems to me that a Sony system would satisfy your professional needs. Why shouldn't a pro select tools that meet their current needs, enable higher profits, and make their photography work easier?

I'm not understanding this viewpoint. Wouldn't a pro just get on with the job and use their gear?

Would any other brand reveal their plans? While Ricoh Imaging hasn't indicated when they'll introduce a new full-frame camera, they haven't been totally silent on their strategy and outlook. Not sure what sort of insight is hoped for.

Is it the brands' companies that are 'interacting', or the hordes of users who are trying to monetize their channels through the more-popular brands? Ricoh Imaging isn't totally silent. The Cameraville guy has been all over the map; I don't think he was a dedicated or valuable promoter of the Pentax brand.

Ricoh Imaging has clearly stated their dedication and strategy towards "SLR photography," including digital SLR. Pentax cameras do have unique features.

On the other hand, how do the other brands truly differentiate themselves? Do they? Depending on very specific features or capabilities, a prospective user might favour one brand over the others. Otherwise, the brands are similar IMO.

In fact, all three Ricoh Imaging North American Ambassadors have websites. I know of another Ambassador in Europe, Mike Muizebelt, who also has an online presence and has produced good videos on Pentax gear. I don't know the extent of Ambassadors in other brands. I've had two opportunities to attend presentations by a Nikon Canada Ambassador, Michelle Valberg. She's a highly recognized photographer and Order of Canada recipient, and she certainly spoke highly of her Nikon gear, although not blatantly.

I think that other brands have "pro services," (e.g., Sony, Nikon), but I don't know whether they guarantee repairs in a certain timeframe. Certainly, renting equipment in emergency circumstances is easier for brands other than Pentax. I'm not a pro, but I think it would be smart for any pro to have spare equipment on hand--isn't it part of a business plan?

As for communications and marketing, I'd say that Ricoh Imaging's sustained promotion and communication of the K-3 Mark III was outstanding. Yes, it was spread out over a year, but they presented interesting and compelling details, introduced several novel aspects of the camera, and produced written pieces and videos. We even got to 'know' some of the designers and engineers. The marketing pitches involved Ricoh Imaging's President personally and the leader of the development effort. They highlighted "Impressions" and perspectives of no fewer than 27 photographers. Brilliant. (They convinced me to get a K-3 Mark III, which I hadn't been planning.)

Ricoh Imaging takes a unique approach to presenting their new products. For example, the HD Pentax-D FA 21mm Limited is covered extensively at the RI website, including messages from the development team and first-hand accounts by accomplished photographers. Other lenses are also covered extensively and promoted in a compelling fashion. It's not the typical ephemeral YouTube stuff that suits short attention spans. Development Story | PENTAX Limited Lens Special site | PENTAX Limited Lens | RICOH IMAGING

Ricoh Imaging has also introduced their film project, cautiously, which has generated a lot of online response. Film is not for everyone, and it doesn't compete with Sony's autofocus capability, but it's out there nonetheless.

My impression is that @pblogic may be struggling with a conflict between being a long-time loyal Pentax user and wanting gear that meets evolving needs. Again, I'd suggest choosing what works in one's professional business, and don't fret too much about Ricoh Imaging and the Pentax brand. In the future, when one's needs further change, simply make a business decision and get something else to meet those new needs.

- Craig
Yes, all that is true. And recently Pentax has done a bit better job---the 2 examples you cited were indeed good ones. But pblogic is not wrong that Pentax/Ricoh's marketing efforts and user engagement could be far better. I agree with him on this point, as have most of us over the years. And you don't have to telegraph your exact moves to do a better job. user engagement and marketing involve repetition, because some folks may have missed it the time before.

Pentax/Ricoh seem to feel that saying something once is more then enough, like a spouse who says "But I told you about this last Friday!" Some reminders are not unhelpful, especially if it's new phrasing. And they have started that already with their "stories" that have chapters/episodes. Just need to do more of it.
02-02-2023, 12:53 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even with the original Pentax company, Pentax in all of their various ownerships, has never been very good for marketing. Marketing can be expensive, so they have relied on their products speaking for themselves. But the conundrum has been how to reveal the products so they can do that.

It is also possible that their policy is to concentrate on one camera at a time. Right now it is the new KF and seeing how well it does. It will, of course, come down in price after some time, although rumor has it that all camera equipment will likely go up in price in the near future, but that is just rumor. I would say, first smartphones will have to jump substantially in price- we'll just have to wait and see how this all works out. At this point, I've been seeing some attractive deals appearing in DSLR camera gear, certainly true of Pentax here in the US.
02-02-2023, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
But pblogic is not wrong that Pentax/Ricoh's marketing efforts and user engagement could be far better. I agree with him on this point, as have most of us over the years. And you don't have to telegraph your exact moves to do a better job. user engagement and marketing involve repetition, because some folks may have missed it the time before.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Marketing can be expensive, so they have relied on their products speaking for themselves. But the conundrum has been how to reveal the products so they can do that.
Despite my earlier comments, I do tend to agree that Ricoh Imaging's user base could benefit from a livelier communication or marketing approach. It's obvious that @pblogic has a strong affection for the Pentax brand, but is not sure of the brand's future in terms of new cameras. Fair enough.

However, I'm not convinced that increased 'marketing' by RI would by itself be sufficient to attract a significant new crop of (younger) Pentax users. I think the main hurdle is getting the various online photography gear sites to increase their focus and coverage of Pentax.

The DPReview treatment of the K-3 Mark III is an example of missing pieces--the Mark III represents a significant advance in Pentax DSLRs, arguably the most advanced Pentax DSLR yet, but DPR was unable to find or apply sufficient staff resources to conduct a full review. Even when they added new RAW image files for the Mark III in their studio comparison tool, it was done without notice or fanfare as far as I know, even though the images provide ample evidence of the camera's high IQ and help to overcome some issues they had with their original JPEG images.

So, how should Ricoh Imaging address this shortcoming? Comments, posts, and reviews by non-brand websites far outweigh the web presence of the manufacturers. Pentax Forums is the definitive social website for folks who use or have an interest in Pentax gear, but the verbose content probably makes it difficult for a casual visitor to navigate (as evidenced by my posts... )

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-02-2023 at 02:50 PM.
02-02-2023, 03:36 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

However, I'm not convinced that increased 'marketing' by RI would by itself be sufficient to attract a significant new crop of (younger) Pentax users. I think the main hurdle is getting the various online photography gear sites to increase their focus and coverage of Pentax.
Precisely. I'm under no illusions that there are hoards of potential new users out there. But Pentax has managed being small fairly well, and it's pretty possible to create some buzz w/o large budgets---but you have to know how to do it, and I don't think Pentax does and/or is so Japan focused that they have blinders on. Fortunately today there are some significant outlets that would allow for this.
02-02-2023, 04:13 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This subject does arise here, regularly. As far as I know, Ricoh employs people specifically to design Pentax gear. They were clearly well-occupied with the almost from-scratch K-3iii, and slightly diverted by the minor change from the K-70 to the K-F. One assumes they’re not being paid to twiddle their thumbs, and I’m guessing we would have heard if they’d laid off their design staff. Although my insight into Japanese business culture may be out of date, I don’t think they’ve succumbed to the notion that they can just pull professional staff out of some waiting unemployment pool when they feel the need. If you’re paying someone to design things, then presumably that’s what they’re doing.

Personally, I think the K-1/ii successor is well advanced in design, and is probably just awaiting the signal from the marketers* to say that the time is right to enter the production or pre-production phase.

* – note that I said “marketers” not “advertisers”. Some people seem to be confused about the strict application of the terms.
02-02-2023, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #67

Despite my earlier comments, I do tend to agree that Ricoh Imaging's user base could benefit from a livelier communication or marketing approach. It's obvious that @pblogic has a strong affection for the Pentax brand, but is not sure of the brand's future in terms of new cameras. Fair enough.

The DPReview treatment of the K-3 Mark III is an example of missing pieces--the Mark III represents a significant advance in Pentax DSLRs, arguably the most advanced Pentax DSLR yet, but DPR was unable to find or apply sufficient staff resources to conduct a full review. Even when they added new RAW image files for the Mark III in their studio comparison tool, it was done without notice or fanfare as far as I know, even though the images provide ample evidence of the camera's high IQ and help to overcome some issues they had with their original JPEG images.

So, how should Ricoh Imaging address this shortcoming? Comments, posts, and reviews by non-brand websites far outweigh the web presence of the manufacturers. Pentax Forums is the definitive social website for folks who use or have an interest in Pentax gear, but the verbose content probably makes it difficult for a casual visitor to navigate (as evidenced by my posts... )

- Craig
That is most definitely true, I do have a great affection for the brand, and I do have evolving needs that are making it hard to stay with the brand I have a great affection for, and have for years. That is without a doubt leading me to be a tad emotional about some of the things I perceive as shortcomings with the brand. After looking at my posts I want to also make something clear (this isn't aimed at you, just the overall tone of the conversation) I don't think there's anything wrong with what the current user base wants. I think it's wonderful that the brand has a dedicated and mature user base. I will myself be a part of that base as I age as well. I don't consider myself particularly young. The point that I'm trying to make, and one I think this user base can be a bit obtuse about at times, is that regardless of how we feel about the brand, they are not connecting with a younger base. Social media is a huge force in marketing whether we like it or not. Younger people want influencers making videos on youtube, not some old farts web site. The other brands facilitate this. With countless Sony and Nikon brand ambassadors on YouTube and instagram constantly talking about new products, there just is no way Pentax is going to convince a significant number or younger people to consider a KF over a Nikon Z5 or a used A7R II or III.

The obtuse part comes in I think because no one is expecting trade secrets and confidential plans. There just needs to be CONSISTENT engagement about them working on SOMETHING. And it needs to be where younger people will see it. Why do I care about this? Because I want to see the brand thrive rather than struggle.

Last edited by pblogic; 02-02-2023 at 06:58 PM.
02-02-2023, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #68

- Craig
That’s a fair assessment of my current mindset. I am struggling with the transition from enthusiast to professional. I’m not new to making business decisions, my background is in the business world. After working in tech for a bit, I spent more than a decade in customer retention, sales and marketing. I’m used to making tough business decisions, but in this instance I’m feeling the conflict that comes with my attachment to Pentax as an enthusiast, so I suppose I’m working through that with the only group of people that would get the attachment to Pentax. I’m in a place where this business is supplemental income, it doesn’t need to provide benefits, and it can deal with varying degrees of profit.

If it were going to be what’s keeping me fed, I don’t think I could consider staying with my favorite brand. While I might have some unrealistic expectations I do think the criticism of Pentax’ lack of modern style engagement with their user base is a fair criticism, informed by my own time in sales and marketing. If I were selling ANYTHING I would make sure I had social media engagement, have the product in the hands of YouTube content creators etc. because that’s how younger people are consuming media and making decisions. I don’t have to like that, agree with it, or feel anything about it at all. I would just have to accept it as reality. I’m not just an armchair quarterback in this realm, I do have a perspective based on professional experience. I’m not so arrogant to think my opinion is in all ways and always correct, but I do think it’s obvious that Pentax/Ricoh could improve in this regard. I don’t personally care for YouTube content all that much myself. I find a lot of it obnoxious, but that doesn’t change the marketing realities.

There can definitely be conflict between head and heart when business and art intersect, and that’s the issue I’m mostly falling prey to at this point. Maybe ultimately all I’m trying to do is commiserate with some folks who get the attachment to Pentax!
02-03-2023, 12:55 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Pblogic, any chance you can post details of your professional web presence, please, as this, not so old, person is interested to see your work? Thanks.
Yes, I'm working on a site redesign right now, and I'll share it as soon as it's ready.
02-03-2023, 07:53 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s a fair assessment of my current mindset. I am struggling with the transition from enthusiast to professional. I’m not new to making business decisions, my background is in the business world. After working in tech for a bit, I spent more than a decade in customer retention, sales and marketing. I’m used to making tough business decisions, but in this instance I’m feeling the conflict that comes with my attachment to Pentax as an enthusiast, so I suppose I’m working through that with the only group of people that would get the attachment to Pentax. I’m in a place where this business is supplemental income, it doesn’t need to provide benefits, and it can deal with varying degrees of profit.

If it were going to be what’s keeping me fed, I don’t think I could consider staying with my favorite brand. While I might have some unrealistic expectations I do think the criticism of Pentax’ lack of modern style engagement with their user base is a fair criticism, informed by my own time in sales and marketing. If I were selling ANYTHING I would make sure I had social media engagement, have the product in the hands of YouTube content creators etc. because that’s how younger people are consuming media and making decisions. I don’t have to like that, agree with it, or feel anything about it at all. I would just have to accept it as reality. I’m not just an armchair quarterback in this realm, I do have a perspective based on professional experience. I’m not so arrogant to think my opinion is in all ways and always correct, but I do think it’s obvious that Pentax/Ricoh could improve in this regard. I don’t personally care for YouTube content all that much myself. I find a lot of it obnoxious, but that doesn’t change the marketing realities.

There can definitely be conflict between head and heart when business and art intersect, and that’s the issue I’m mostly falling prey to at this point. Maybe ultimately all I’m trying to do is commiserate with some folks who get the attachment to Pentax!
So, I understand where you're coming from. As someone who has used 4 brands in the digital era, One thing I would say is that your comfort level with the equipment is very important when doing professional jobs. For my work, Pentax is comfortable to use, so it doesn't "chafe" on a job. Any fumbling I do is my own fault. So, this extends to how easy or not it is to change settings---not the ones that are used all the time which are easily learned, but the ones you don't. All systems struggle with this I think, but I seem to have a bit less trouble with Pentax. You need to evaluate what you are about to do carefully and examine whether another brand's better-whatever is really that big a deal in the field. Could be, might not.
02-03-2023, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have has a K1 since May 2016 and added a K1-II in 2018. If one or both were to fail I am not sure what I would do. Not worth it to replace them with old technology at new prices. I sort of look at even a new K1-II as used equipment at this time. Luckily I do not think that, barring accidents, they will not fail soon but when the time comes, not sure I would pay more that about $1,200 for a new K1-II. Sadly I see them in the same light as new full frame teleconverters. One would think that this should be pretty easy for Pentax to do. The money is set aside for these if they ever hit the marketplace.

Absolutely no desire to go mirrorless. I prefer to see the real image in front of me and not a digital representation of the scene. I guess that am just too old a dog to teach new tricks to.

BTW my MX-1 recently died an accidental death and a new version of that would be awesome too. I know it will not happen, but I loved that little camera. Some neat features missing from my DSLR's. In camera stitching being one of them.
02-03-2023, 03:57 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
So, I understand where you're coming from. As someone who has used 4 brands in the digital era, One thing I would say is that your comfort level with the equipment is very important when doing professional jobs. For my work, Pentax is comfortable to use, so it doesn't "chafe" on a job. Any fumbling I do is my own fault. So, this extends to how easy or not it is to change settings---not the ones that are used all the time which are easily learned, but the ones you don't. All systems struggle with this I think, but I seem to have a bit less trouble with Pentax. You need to evaluate what you are about to do carefully and examine whether another brand's better-whatever is really that big a deal in the field. Could be, might not.
Thanks, that's very good advice. I'm also a very detail oriented kind of person, and I tend to over research and over think to get to what will be "best". I realize that there is no best, because each system has it's compromises, but I'm still struggling with what's best for me. Being that I've used a Pentax for so long, all of it's controls feel intuitive. I definitely liked using the K1. Being the person that I am, after a couple of weeks I've already taken a hard deep dive into learning the Sony, so it's features feel pretty good to me as well. The body is too small however, and I prefer some of the Pentax controls, but the Sony is so customizable that its definitely livable until I really get used to it. When you talk about evaluating what I'm going to be doing carefully, well evaluation is a strong suit for me, but it tends to lead to decision paralysis if I let it. When I really try to weight it, I think what I'm more worried about is missing focus and having to redo shots over and over again with the K1, whereas with the Sony I know I'll be able to keep things flowing. I know from the work I've done with my ancient K20D that it's stressful for me to have to recompose groups and re-shoot because of missing focus. On the other hand, I have managed it with even the K20D and I have group and family portrait sessions I'm happy with. But it would be nice to take some of the worry away from missing focus so I can be more engaged with my subjects in the moment.

I think most of the reason I'm feeling salty with Pentax is that it's been a very long time since we've had a full frame camera update and we've no useful communication about one. I'm not expecting or asking for details about a product. I just think at this point it would be nice to hear that, yes, a new full frame is in development. I don't want anything more than that. Knowing that a new full frame was coming and would have focus at least as good as the K3 III would soothe me enough to buy more Pentax pro glass and patiently wait. The general response I get when I mention that here is "Pentax had a press release saying they were committed to DSLR". Well, that's nice, but it was quite a bit ago and it's awfully short on details. I actually contacted Pentax about it, and I got an even worse answer. This is the reply directly quoted "Thank you for contacting Ricoh Imaging. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support. I hope we make a new Full Frame camera too but that information in strictly confidential."

I don't think any of those of us that are feeling impatient want trade secrets. It doesn't seem unreasonable to want something beyond that they "hope" they will make another full frame camera maybe someday. I think it's reasonable to want more than that when you are thinking of sinking thousands into the equipment of any system. So, like I've said in other threads and posts, this is what I mean about poor customer engagement. I still think it's a very fair criticism. Thanks for the engagement, it's been good to have these conversations.
02-03-2023, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

I think the best evidence that Pentax is dedicated to full frame DSLRs is the presence of DFA lenses. There's no way a company as small as Pentax would waste resources on such a lens lineup for a single camera model. I personally believe the (unmitigated) chatter here that we'll probably see an updated K-1 within a year.
02-04-2023, 04:59 AM - 4 Likes   #74
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion of it, but in a recent magazine interview, the Ricoh marketing manager did mention the words "K-1 III". It was in a hypothetical sense, but he was not being asked about future full frame cameras, so there was no need for him to say it at all. The context was that we can expect a hypothetical new camera, such as the K-1 III, to be equipped with the new OS rather than the old one. So it was more of a side comment.

I can understand that you might feel Pentax doesn't communicate much, especially in English. However, they have been making K-mount cameras since 1975, so I don't think it would enter into their minds to reassure people that they won't stop making them. They do have a current product on the market that they are selling. Surely the sensible assumption is that they will continue the line when they can. The fact that people speculate otherwise is just really unfortunate.

The interview also mentioned 2022 having been a very busy year with the company reorganization, but that we can expect more from them this year. The other issue they have been facing is parts supply. They probably don't want to repeat the situation they had with the K-3 III, where they showed their plans too soon, and were unable to deliver on the timeline they stated because they couldn't get the parts. That really frustrated people.
02-04-2023, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion of it, but in a recent magazine interview, the Ricoh marketing manager did mention the words "K-1 III". It was in a hypothetical sense, but he was not being asked about future full frame cameras, so there was no need for him to say it at all. The context was that we can expect a hypothetical new camera, such as the K-1 III, to be equipped with the new OS rather than the old one. So it was more of a side comment.
That's an interesting tidbit.
QuoteQuote:

I can understand that you might feel Pentax doesn't communicate much, especially in English. However, they have been making K-mount cameras since 1975, so I don't think it would enter into their minds to reassure people that they won't stop making them.
And here's something that points to a key problem with their marketing team. It is not 1975 anymore---that's nearly 50 years ago. In the 21st century, the third decade of the 21st century, you've got to stay on people's radar, at least in the U.S., and probably Europe, too. In 1975 to advertise you had to get an ad agency to develop print and TV ads, and maybe billboards as well, and all the attendant costs associated, which are probably higher now. Today, you need a social media person on staff to just do a bit of churn on a weekly basis at least. Pentax being soooooo Japanese will need a translator also who could just be a contractor. That's 1 1/2 positions---not a crushing expenditure. I know this because my museum is doing just this, exactly, and it's been enormously helpful. And our SM stuff isn't even that swift---and it's one person's job.
QuoteQuote:
They do have a current product on the market that they are selling. Surely the sensible assumption is that they will continue the line when they can. The fact that people speculate otherwise is just really unfortunate.
"Surely the sensible assumption....". My coffee just went up my nose. Sensible is asking a lot these days I think, based on a lot of political events alone. And sure, people speculating otherwise is unfortunate---so deal with that! Be proactive a bit. No one is expecting Pentax to be Sony. Just do a little bit every month. Really so hard?

QuoteQuote:
The interview also mentioned 2022 having been a very busy year with the company reorganization, but that we can expect more from them this year.
Great! So, let's have more of that interview stuff.
QuoteQuote:
The other issue they have been facing is parts supply. They probably don't want to repeat the situation they had with the K-3 III, where they showed their plans too soon, and were unable to deliver on the timeline they stated because they couldn't get the parts. That really frustrated people.
Great! Talk about that a lot more! As far as frustrating people, pick your poison: frustrate them by having a product coming that is announced, but having supply chain problems that can then be discussed, or frustrate them by being silent. I know how I'd handle it.