Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #16
Forum Member

6 fps with faster AF than the K1 would still be my dream camera.

Love my K1 but I am aware it isn't quite the dream wildlife camera.

In the meantime I will certainly think about the K3iii if I find myself with the necessaty folding stuff.

02-21-2022, 08:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Billking Quote
Love my K1 but I am aware it isn't quite the dream wildlife camera.

In the meantime I will certainly think about the K3iii if I find myself with the necessaty folding stuff.
Aw, c'mon. Nobody in Australia uses "folding stuff" any more. I haven't withdrawn cash since pre-COVID.

I've had lots of success with the K1 + DFA 150-450, but I agree that it's not the first choice for wildlife, hence the K3iii. I can't believe a future K1iii would just be a scale-up of it though, but certainly it will inherit a lot of useful tech.
02-22-2022, 12:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think medium format digital (FujiFilm, especially) is quite safe
Fuji have the same kind of product roll-our approach as Pentax. The best way to not waste money into buying and selling from roadmaps is to buy after a camera system is fully rolled out e.g five years old systems , accept and make do photography without the latest tech.
02-22-2022, 12:21 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Fuji have the same kind of product roll-our approach as Pentax. The best way to not waste money into buying and selling from roadmaps is to buy after a camera system is fully rolled out e.g five years old systems , accept and make do photography without the latest tech.
... or, as I like to call it, simply "photography" The thought of anyone shooting a five year old system as having to "accept and make do" makes me chuckle. It must be an incredibly small percentage of photographers who can't do everything they need to with a five year old system. The latest cameras and lenses are, for the majority of us, items of desire rather than necessity...

02-22-2022, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't we have a similiar thread not so long ago?
Does the K1 Mark II still make sense to buy today? Is there an Mark III in the works? - PentaxForums.com
02-22-2022, 03:22 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Didn't we have a similiar thread not so long ago?
Yup, and there'll be more - right up until the day the K-1II replacement is released. The threads will become increasingly animated over time, with displays of impatience, frustration and even exasperation. A few members will reach breaking point, tell us they've waited long enough and jump brands. Most who remain will be delighted with the new model, but a small number will be disappointed with the specs and proclaim the impending doom of Pentax when "Brand X" offers this, that and the other capability for the same or less money. A couple of those may jump too. Then, in two or three years, a few will return to the fold.

Alongside all of this, most of us just crack on with what we're doing

Wash, Rinse, Repeat...
02-22-2022, 04:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

The thought of anyone shooting a five year old system as having to "accept and make do" makes me chuckle.
If think you completely missed my point, and my point has nothing to do with having the requirement of printing post-card size photos or being addicted to the latest tech. Depends on requirements. Five years ago I chose the Pentax K1 to do what I do now with a Pentax K1 but I should have chosen a Pentax 645Z, why? Because when the 645z was released all the lenses were on the shelf, whereas the new lenses for the K1 were on a roadmap (and not all of them). I would not have spend more on a 645z system than on my K1 system, I would have spend less! When we decide to buy a system that is not yet complete, our purchase decisions aren't best because we don't have all cards at hand, and this has nothing to do with using the latest tech or not. Ideally, for the best possible choice of a camera system, a new ILC system should be released all at once: a set of camera bodies and a dozen of lenses released the same day so the buy can stand by and select exactly what he needs , no more no less.

---------- Post added 22-02-22 at 13:12 ----------

The latest cameras and lenses are, for the majority of us, items of desire rather than necessity...
This is true of most things in modern life. We all have a roof, water and electricity, most spending are not for vital things. Buying cameras is no different from anything else. I'm sure most people could keep using their cars for much longer, repair them , until everything become truly unusable. Well people don't need cars, they can walk, use a bicycle, take the bus, take the train, or order a taxi. If you really want to spend nothing, it's possible, but in that case I can't guarantee you a happy life.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-22-2022 at 05:12 AM.
02-22-2022, 06:13 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If think you completely missed my point, and my point has nothing to do with having the requirement of printing post-card size photos or being addicted to the latest tech. Depends on requirements. Five years ago I chose the Pentax K1 to do what I do now with a Pentax K1 but I should have chosen a Pentax 645Z, why? Because when the 645z was released all the lenses were on the shelf, whereas the new lenses for the K1 were on a roadmap (and not all of them). I would not have spend more on a 645z system than on my K1 system, I would have spend less!
Hindsight's wonderful, isn't it?

When we decide to buy a system that is not yet complete, our purchase decisions aren't best because we don't have all cards at hand, and this has nothing to do with using the latest tech or not. Ideally, for the best possible choice of a camera system, a new ILC system should be released all at once: a set of camera bodies and a dozen of lenses released the same day so the buy can stand by and select exactly what he needs , no more no less.
I quote an older post of mine from 2018:

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam:
I advise what I always advise - don't buy something (camera or upgrade) unless it does exactly what you want right now. Buying on the basis of "what might be" will lead to frustration

This is true of most things in modern life. We all have a roof, water and electricity, most spending are not for vital things. Buying cameras is no different from anything else. I'm sure most people could keep using their cars for much longer, repair them , until everything become truly unusable. Well people don't need cars, they can walk, use a bicycle, take the bus, take the train, or order a taxi. If you really want to spend nothing, it's possible, but in that case I can't guarantee you a happy life.
Conversely, you can spend, spend, spend and still be unhappy. You have a K-1 and K-1II, plus a brace of really excellent lenses - a kit that most folks would be delighted to have at their disposal. You're a fortunate man indeed. Yet you yearn for more and wish you'd bought differently. What a bummer... but it's just "stuff". It doesn't really matter all that much, and on a positive note, you've learned some useful lessons along the way

I can look back on purchasing decisions I've made and, with the benefit of hindsight, I see I could have made smarter, more economical, more functional choices. But it's all a learning experience, and as Edith Piaf sang, "Non, je ne regrette rien..."

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-22-2022 at 06:19 AM.
02-22-2022, 07:37 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

You have a K-1 and K-1II, plus a brace of really excellent lenses - a kit that most folks would be delighted to have at their disposal. You're a fortunate man indeed.
Placed in the larger context of professional photography, owning a Pentax K1 I'm a total hobbyist. Raymond Depardon, life long professional photographer, was asked about his opinion about digital cameras, he's shooting 8x10" and exhibit 1.5 x 1.5 meter gallery prints, he said the digital camera is a gimmick for people in a hurry. Luckily he wasn't asked about smartphones!
02-22-2022, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Placed in the larger context of professional photography, owning a Pentax K1 I'm a total hobbyist. Raymond Depardon, life long professional photographer, was asked about his opinion about digital cameras, he's shooting 8x10" and exhibit 1.5 x 1.5 meter gallery prints, he said the digital camera is a gimmick for people in a hurry. Luckily he wasn't asked about smartphones!
Raymond Depardon is wrong. Pronouncements like these are typically wrong. And as a "lifelong professional photographer" he should know better than to say such a thing.

Also, the brand of camera one owns is not indicative of hobbyist status.
02-22-2022, 08:57 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of us here are hobbyists. In the context of that, you're one of our more fortunate members with fantastic equipment to hand. There are folks here shooting 15+ year old DSLRs and kit lenses because that's all they can afford or justify (and they're producing bigger than postcard-size reproductions when required ). If you're finding the K-1 and K-1II (and your phalanx of lenses) professionally limiting, adapt your professional targets and/or expectations until you can move to something less limiting, or perhaps go with your Gigapixel AI solution which sounded like it might have merit for larger prints - temporarily, if nothing else. It's an inexpensive option to try.

Raymond Depardon may be a life long professional photographer, but his large format kit is a nightmare to carry and use in many situations, and simply impractical in others. I'm sure his 8x10" negatives and 1.5 x 1.5m gallery prints are wonderful, but that doesn't mean his somewhat elitist and derogatory opinion of digital cameras is valid - except, perhaps, in the context of his personal use-cases and preferences. I'd like to see him take a shot of a raptor in flight... Let's see how he gets on with his 8x10s then...
"Still setting up your camera, Raymond? You missed a fabulous kestrel flying past just now... Beautiful. I must have got a dozen shots of that with my K-3. Should get a couple of nice prints from those, too. No, not 1.5m square... but big enough. What's that you say? A gimmick? OK, whatever. Errr... Ray, old chap - I don't mean to pry, but is that the longest focal length lens you've got? Right... Well, we could move a bit closer, I suppose... but how long is it likely to take for you to pack up, move and set everything up again? It's just that I told my friend I'd meet her for dinner at 7pm... Yes, 7pm this evening... Oh, here comes the kestrel again!! Quick, Ray! Quick! Oh... you're still packing up? Well... never mind. There's always next time, eh? I'll bring my old K-5 and 55-300 - you can borrow that if you like..."

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-22-2022 at 11:05 AM.
02-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #27

I have a K-3, K-1, and K-1 MkII and a large investment of M42, K, A, FA, and DFA glass. I also have had the K-1 since its introduction. I also want an upgraded newer K-1 MKIII of some sort relatively soon! While the K-3 III on paper has great specs and is really nice, I really despise the fixed screen (let's get into the 21st century). For me any K-3 body would be a backup camera body. Any new K1 MKIII must have at least 42 to 62 MP, advanced and fast eye tracking AF software, and a little faster burst rate. This is nothing impossible in today's technology and market. Stuffing as much tech and more from the K3 III into a K-1 MkIII would be wonderful (OK, doesn't need that fast FPS). If Pentax does not come out with or announce a K-1 MKIII relatively soon, I already anticipate supporting two camera manufacturers, Namely a Sony a7rIVa or whatever. At least I can use most of my old Pentax glass on a Sony body with the new Monster Adapter LA-KE1. Oh yeah, as my age increases with arthritis , lessening the weight of the K-1 MKIII would also be nice.
02-22-2022, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
I really despise the fixed screen (let's get into the 21st century).
In a way the K-3iii does have a tilt/remote screen - using Image Sync in Shooting mode. Maybe not perfect, but workable.
02-22-2022, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Aw, c'mon. Nobody in Australia uses "folding stuff" any more. I haven't withdrawn cash since pre-COVID.

I've had lots of success with the K1 + DFA 150-450, but I agree that it's not the first choice for wildlife, hence the K3iii. I can't believe a future K1iii would just be a scale-up of it though, but certainly it will inherit a lot of useful tech.
LOL it is true. I was speaking metaphorically. Actually writing metaphorically, with speaking being a metaphor for writing. ; )

I have two current day dreams for my next big spend:

A k3iii to pair with my DA* 300mm and 1.4TC for birding

A DFA 15-450 to pair with my K1 for birding.

Would love either or both of those pieces of kit.
02-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
In a way the K-3iii does have a tilt/remote screen - using Image Sync in Shooting mode. Maybe not perfect, but workable.
Actually your idea is a great idea and may solved some static shooting circumstances, but sure doesn't fit dynamic shooting opportunities.