Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
. . . Save yourself the grief of putting up with sudden death motor syndrome.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
What a total nonsense of someone who has no idea what he is talking about.

Just ignore him and listen to all the people and read all the reviews of them who has converted the 60-250 and years after still use and enjoy it.
it is true that the SDM of that lens can die and currently there is no known way to convert that lens to screw drive

QuoteQuote:
can a SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM be coverted to screw drive only ?
can a SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM be coverted to screw drive only ? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

how often that happens ???

and whether the conversion to full frame makes it more likely or not ???

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-01-2022 at 01:17 PM.
03-01-2022, 01:25 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it is true that the SDM motor of that lens can die and currently there is no known way to convert that lens to screw drive
There is not a motor made anywhere in the world that will never die. This is getting to be insane. 99% of the electronic or electric motors have no screw drive conversion available.

QuoteQuote:
how often that happens ???
It's happened twice to Wheatfield, and maybe 2-5 other reports of failure, in 10 years.

But honestly, if it's a concern, buy the D FA 70-210 ƒ4 just for peace of mind. It's definitely not a lens for worry warts. The number of concerns about the lens expressed compared to the number of failures is ridiculous. If it's motor fails, there's no screw drive conversion for it either. DA*60-250 users like myself are tired of the insanity around this lens.

I wish Pentax would pull it from the market. I have mine, I don't need another one, if people are too skittish to buy it, I don't care. I'm all set here. Happily shooting way week after week, year after year. The fears of the un-convinced are not my problem. There is absolutely no benefit to me, relating my experience to others, and I'm sick of doing it, given the level of hostility for doing so.

I mean seriously, thousands of images, 10 years of use, now down to a paltry $120 year cost of ownership at a minimum of 1000 images year on average. If mine dies tomorrow it still doesn't owe me a cent, 1.2 cents an image to use it to date.

This is ridiculous.

Sometimes public service just opens you to public humiliation. It's not worth the cost.

Last edited by normhead; 03-01-2022 at 01:48 PM.
03-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

To anyone interested, Google "da* 60-250 AF failures".
The truth is out there, but you won't get it from the pom pom wavers here.
03-02-2022, 02:44 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may notice that several posts have been deleted.
Just a reminder here; play nice or play somewhere else.

This has been a public service announcement from pentaxforums.com. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

03-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to this forum's SDM Failure Survey, the DA* 60-250's SDM seems to be the most reliable of the DA zooms, with a 6 out of 107 samples failure rate.

Here is a link to charted results: SDM Reliability Survey Results - PentaxForums.com

Please note that this data is old.
03-02-2022, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Here is a link to charted results: SDM Reliability Survey Results - PentaxForums.com
It seems 2009 was the worst year for SDM failures with 3 or 4 reported cases. All in all, about 6 or 7 copies had SDM failures in the first 4 years of sales and none were reported after 2011. I got mine in 2014 and the SDM AF never missed a beat. I don't think I have to worry the least about this "overhyped" problem.

Regards