Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2022, 02:25 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Curiously, no.
That is very strange. They must be having some issues with staffing or the tech. I guess it could be related to the K-1 II af issues, its very strange anyway, it was released five months ago.

Are there any other lenses without firmware support?

03-06-2022, 02:45 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
No need to fix what ain't broke.
I don't think there's a lot new in this update, and if you read later of some addition or fix that sounds useful you can always update later. I got by just fine not updating some cameras until months later. This time I did a day 1.
I was on version 1.50 for the K-1 .
I kinda skipped all the lens-profile additions.
03-06-2022, 04:31 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Are there any other lenses without firmware support?
None explicitly mentioned, however the current version of DCU recognizes the new lens - but it doesn't fill in the name in the EXIF, which is a minor nuisance.

Pentax K-1 SMCP-HD D-FA21mm f/2.4 EX ASPH Limited ISO 100 f/11 1/500th
03-06-2022, 05:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
None explicitly mentioned, however the current version of DCU recognizes the new lens - but it doesn't fill in the name in the EXIF, which is a minor nuisance.

Pentax K-1 SMCP-HD D-FA21mm f/2.4 EX ASPH Limited ISO 100 f/11 1/500th
Perhaps you know this but usually a coded id number for the lens is stored in exif maker notes. It's up to the software to match the code to a lens name. The human readable lens name is never written to exif.

From what you are describing, DCU recognizing the lens but not filling the name in, I'm guessing that DCU does indeed decode the lens id but the software you use to view the exported file fail to recognize the lens id. That's pretty much expected until the third party software is updated with the most recent exif reading library.

edit: just checked exiftool which appears to support the dfa21

QuoteOriginally posted by exiftool:
'8 67' = HD PENTAX-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited DC WR
Even if you mean something else and ideed know all the above I frequently see this misunderstanding about exif and though it worth explaining for other readers.

03-08-2022, 08:39 AM   #35

SATOBI look reminds me of Kodacolor-X.
03-08-2022, 04:07 PM - 4 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure I've found my new daily driver JPG profile. Loving the tonality on the highlights, it has a certain beautiful softness to it - if that makes sense. Some concert examples, from last weekend (not that they are particularly impressive shots, but for a first experience shooting live music I ain't complaining!) Heck of a fun time, being in a mosh pit again after more than two years... I've now flipped into buying tickets for three more concerts in the coming couple months
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm pretty sure I've found my new daily driver JPG profile. Loving the tonality on the highlights, it has a certain beautiful softness to it - if that makes sense. Some concert examples, from last weekend (not that they are particularly impressive shots, but for a first experience shooting live music I ain't complaining!) Heck of a fun time, being in a mosh pit again after more than two years... I've now flipped into buying tickets for three more concerts in the coming couple months
Nice shots!

04-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #38
maw
Pentaxian

The new 'Satobi' profile has improved the already wide range of Pentax profiles, having it ready in the camera is a big plus.
I would have liked it on the K3, K3II and KP series as well. For the improved astrotracer I don't think it's feasible.
Some people complain about the fact that they don't want to downgrade e.g. from ver.1.60 to 1.50, well every upgrade generally provides more benefits than failures.

---------- Post added 17-04-22 at 05:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by John Shriver Quote
SATOBI look reminds me of Kodacolor-X.
I had thought of something similar, in fact I found confirmation in a video by Kerrick James, who claims that it is very similar to Kodachrome 64,
with less saturated colors and very similar to the films / slides of the 70'. Having it ready-made saves a lot of time.
I shoot only in Raw and when you don't have time for Jpeg/Tiff you can convert it in camera with the appropriate function.

Kerrick James: YouTube