Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2022, 01:58 AM   #1

Wildlife photography

Hello,

I have the intention to do some wildlife photography (as I love Scotland, I hope, if corona ruling permits, to travel to the isle of Mull this summer) and I was wandering whether my K1MKii in combination with the 150-450 would be a good combination to do so.
I have got both the lens and body in my possession. Are are there teleconvertors which can be used with this combination ?
Since I still have my old K10D would anybody recommend using this camera for this purpose?

Thanks in advance,

André

03-07-2022, 04:01 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hello ,

i'm doing some wildlife photography. For this purpose i use K3III with 300 mm f4 avec the teleconvertor 1.4x hd. IT's very good.
I already used the combination K1i + teleconvertor 1.4x and 300 mm but it's not good with the 1.4x because the picture is cropped.
But I think the 150-450 mm is a very good option.
Sorry for my english my mother langage is french (Belgium)
Also , I spent one year travelling in New Zealand, and at this time, I only had the K5II and 55-200 mm WR 4.5-5.6 , for some pictures it was very sharp !!!
You can see the picture below
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
03-07-2022, 04:18 AM   #3

I run both the K1 and the K3iii, both are excellent with the 150 - 450, although the go to is the K3iii for the extra reach and a tad faster AF, I don't think your K10D will work with the 150 - 450, the firmware wont be up-to date enough
03-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nepal Quote
. . . I was wandering whether my K1MKii in combination with the 150-450 would be a good combination to do so. I have got both the lens and body in my possession. Are are there teleconvertors which can be used with this combination ?
Since I still have my old K10D would anybody recommend using this camera for this purpose?. . .
when I attempt wildlife photography I ask myself how important will be the " burst shutter " rate and if important I choose the K 3 III

I usually attempt handheld instead of monopod or tripod and the combination of the rear converter and the big lens can be shaky at times

_____

the teleconverter will work with the K10d but

QuoteQuote:
Compatibility With Older Cameras
. . . Does this leave older cameras in the dust? Fortunately, it does not. We successfully used the rear converter on a *istD, and it works. The autofocus was less than stellar in dim light with our D FA 100mm F2.8 lens, whereas the camera delivered accurate autofocus in bright light:

On older cameras, the aperture value does get converted to the effective aperture (F2.8 becomes F4 in the EXIF information) with autofocus lenses, whereas the focal length does not get converted. This means that shake reduction will not work optimally on older bodies that might have that feature, because the wrong focal length will be set. SR will still compensate for camera shake, just not as much as it would knowing that the effective focal length was longer.

This tells us two things about the teleconverter: it carries out the aperture conversion internally, whereas the focal length conversion is done through the camera's firmware.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-14x-aw-af-rear-converter/operation.html

QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
. . . I don't think your K10D will work with the 150 - 450, the firmware wont be up-to date enough
as will the lens if the K10d has firmware updated:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K10D with HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW
This combination is fully compatible w/ prerequisites. All original features of the lens are supported after the conditions shown are met.

Pentax K10D
+
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Fully Compatible w/ Prerequisites
Fully Compatible w/ Prerequisites
Firmware v1.30 or newer required for autofocus
Standard Lens Features
Aperture: Auto
Focusing: AF
Mount: Pentax K (KAF3)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/compatibility/Pentax+K10D/HD+Pentax-D+FA+150-45...#ixzz7Mr0mI6mo

whether to use the CCD sensor of the K10d?

QuoteQuote:
CCD vs CMOS Sensors - Which do you prefer for "Colors"?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/405005-ccd-vs-c...ml#post4956524

QuoteQuote:
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club...
Not too many people shoot them anymore, as no one's making them at this point... but the CCD sensor cameras have a loyal following (some would say obsession) from its fans (crazy? luddites?).
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/409881-ccd-sens...ml#post5032726

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-07-2022 at 06:59 AM.
03-07-2022, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by emilie Quote
hello ,

i'm doing some wildlife photography. For this purpose i use K3III with 300 mm f4 avec the teleconvertor 1.4x hd. IT's very good.
I already used the combination K1i + teleconvertor 1.4x and 300 mm but it's not good with the 1.4x because the picture is cropped.
Also , I spent one year travelling in New Zealand, and at this time, I only had the K5II and 55-200 mm WR 4.5-5.6 , for some pictures it was very sharp !!!
Une merveilleuse photographie.
03-07-2022, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you should be doing pretty good with the K1ii, although the K3iii would probably be the more obvious choice for wildlife if you were buying a new camera and had a large budget. You already have an excellent lens for that purpose, probably the best one available new in the mount.

There is no current teleconverter to go with that lens and camera, the only current Pentax brand teleconverter is the 1.4x that's for crop only (without vignetting). It does work with that lens, more or less, and there's a very recent article that goes into detail on that topic.

There are older third party teleconverters (that 1.4x/1.5x version as well as 1.7x and 2x versions) that will attach and should pass autofocus through, though they may or may not make things too dim for autofocus to work well. "PzAF" is a good search term to use if you're looking for them. They will not give the camera accurate focal length (with the new FL after the TC), so the camera (for shake reduction and EXIF data purposes) will think it's using just the lens at its original FL. This will reduce the effectiveness of SR, but not completely.

Do also remember that you can use your K1ii in crop mode, which will help fill the frame with the subject (aka 'give you more reach,' if that's how you think about it (although some people may argue over terminology there)), as well as speed up burst and transfer rates and reduce file sizes. It won't get you anything from an image quality standpoint that you couldn't get by cropping on your computer, though. My favorite way to achieve that setting is with the top function dial, which you set to "crop" and then turn the third control wheel while looking through the viewfinder until you see the bold lines of the smaller crop area superimposed on the focusing screen.
03-07-2022, 08:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As Wadge22 said the pz-af teleconverters exist and are pretty high quality. Kenko and Tamron and Rokunar are ones to look for. Look at the mount and select those with the power zoom/sdm contacts. Expect to post a premium, eBay in the USA has several around $150-200 in good looking condition. The 1.4-1.5 ones will add one stop which probably will be ok. As mentioned the image stabilization won’t be fully accurately applied but it will still help some.

03-08-2022, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I run both the K1 and the K3iii, both are excellent with the 150 - 450, although the go to is the K3iii for the extra reach and a tad faster AF, I don't think your K10D will work with the 150 - 450, the firmware wont be up-to date enough

K10d + 150-450 works.

Just dusted of my K10 for a quick test shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-10-2022, 11:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well the K10 works perfect with the 150-450. But it results in a 10MP picture. The K1 gives me a 15MP pic (in cropped mode as well in FF and cropping in postprocessing).
So indeed K10D is a fine camera but it a backup.
Thx

---------- Post added 03-10-2022 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by emilie Quote
hello ,

Moi je suis flamand, j'habites à Tongres. Merci bien pour votre réponse.
03-10-2022, 01:31 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . So indeed K10D is a fine camera . . .
as I mentioned

the reason I would use the K 10d, if I did use it, would be because I wanted the CCD sensor for the photo
03-11-2022, 02:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Une merveilleuse photographie.
merci beaucoup :-)

---------- Post added 03-11-22 at 02:10 AM ----------

Well the K10 works perfect with the 150-450. But it results in a 10MP picture. The K1 gives me a 15MP pic (in cropped mode as well in FF and cropping in postprocessing).
So indeed K10D is a fine camera but it a backup.
Thx

---------- Post added 03-10-2022 at 11:56 AM ----------

Moi je suis flamand, j'habites à Tongres. Merci bien pour votre réponse.
haaa c'est pas loin , si tu as la moindre question n'hésite pas. J'ai également utilisé l'objectif 55-300 mm F4.5 - F5.6 HD DA , plutôt entrée de gamme mais franchement il a déjà beaucoup de piqué !