Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problem with Samyang 135mm f/2.0 on K-1ii

I just got the Samyang 135mm f/2.0 from B&H. When I mount the lens, the display screen shows a flashing "F--". I have moved the F-stop ring to all available choices but the F-stop does not show up on the screen. This lens is listed as being fully compatible with the K-1ii, so I am sure I just have some setting bollixed up. Can anyone shed some light on this?

03-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you have missed the Asetting of the lens, sometimes needs a push button/lock to change....
03-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You need to enable the aperture ring in the K-1 menu. Can't remember the exact menu at the moment.
03-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #4

Is there an A aperture setting on the aperture ring? If so, set it to that. Turn off the camera, and then re-mount.

03-12-2022, 09:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
You need to enable the aperture ring in the K-1 menu. Can't remember the exact menu at the moment.
I have tried both settings in the "Using Aperture Ring" menu... the default is 1, which is disabled (the text says "Shutter will not release when aperture ring is not set to the "A" position"). I also tried option 2, which is enabled (the text says "Shutter will release when the aperture ring is not set to the "A" position").

In both cases, I changed the setting, turned off the camera, dis-mounted the lens, re-mounted it and turned it back on. I don't see any other aperture ring settings, and I have tried this in both AV (which is supposed to work with the K-1ii) and in Manual mode, which is what I need to use for night-sky photos. I looked in the K-1ii manual for any info on this, and I can't see any place where I can set or change the "A" position... not even sure what that is referring to.

---------- Post added 03-12-22 at 10:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
Is there an ‘A’ aperture setting on the aperture ring? If so, set it to that. Turn off the camera, and then re-mount.
The aperture ring on the lens has a red "A" at the start (to the left of f22), and a red "KR" at the other side (next to f2), but the ring doesn't twist that far in either case... it stops at f22 on the left, and f2 on the right. I have the camera set for manual focus (which this lens requires) but don't see anything else to change. I did go into the "Using Aperture Ring" setting and tried both options there (I described this above) but that didn't help. Not sure what to do!
03-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every lens I have which has an A setting requires a button to be pressed before the aperture ring will turn to that point.
Is there something similar on the Samyang? sometimes it's quite a way round the aperture ring.
03-12-2022, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Every lens I have which has an A setting requires a button to be pressed before the aperture ring will turn to that point.
Is there something similar on the Samyang? sometimes it's quite a way round the aperture ring.
There is a silver button next to the A, but pressing it didn't allow me to turn the aperture ring any farther... until I took the lens off the camera! Then I was able to press the button and turn the dial a bit farther. I re-mounted the lens and it seems to work! Thank you!

03-12-2022, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by batscanner2 Quote
but the ring doesn't twist that far in either case... it stops at f22 on the left, and f2 on the right.
I have this lens and am looking at it now. To the left of the red "A" there is a button on the lens to move the aperture ring over to the A setting you need to push the button in and it will just slide over. To take the lens out of the A setting you will also need to push the button in. On my lens the f-stop indicator doesn't go over to the A mark but to the red dot to the left of the f/22 mark when doing this. There is no option to turn the aperture ring farther right than f/2.
03-12-2022, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Go to f/22 (to the right). Push and hold the little button to the left of the 'A' and now rotate slightly more to the right to get it on the 'A'. Let go of button. Leave it there forever -- control aperture from camera like any autofocus lens. (If you really want to use the aperture ring then the "F--" is normal because you've broken communication between lens and body by taking it off 'A')
03-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all... problem solved. The trick was for me to take the lens off the camera so I could push the button properly... the way it was, the little button is right underneath the hump at the front of the camera (the other side of the eyepiece) and I couldn't get enough pressure on that button to do any good. I certainly appreciate all the help offered on this forum!
03-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The overhang of the prism housing on the K1 makes it very difficult to get to that little button or even read what aperture the lens is set at.
03-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The overhang of the prism housing on the K1 makes it very difficult to get to that little button or even read what aperture the lens is set at.
Yes, that was the problem! I had to take the lens off the K-1 to push in the button and rotate the aperture dial. Did that, and now it is working.
03-16-2022, 07:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
It also prevent third party tilt and shift options from being completely functional with the camera. It's a technical problem waiting for a solution.