Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2022, 02:50 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
The issue is that the banding shows immediately in camera when shooting raw…not just in the photo I processed.

Do the raw developing settings in camera in review mode affect ALL previews? Even when not manually converting to Jpeg in camera??? Aargh. I thought the right side direction button only applied to jpeg shooting, not dng previews. That is the problem; thanks! Must have hit it in the dark. Thanks all!
I thought that your preview was just from a jpeg that was based on your in camera settings, even if you are shooting RAW.

03-16-2022, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
The issue is that the banding shows immediately in camera when shooting raw…not just in the photo I processed.

Do the raw developing settings in camera in review mode affect ALL previews? Even when not manually converting to Jpeg in camera??? Aargh. I thought the right side direction button only applied to jpeg shooting, not dng previews. That is the problem; thanks! Must have hit it in the dark. Thanks all!
Well, you can't see a RAW file, Rob. No one can. It's a collection of numbers, without a colour space or gamma. In fact, it hasn't even been demosaiced.

It's always converted into some other format for us to look at, including on the back of the camera screen and in histogram form.
03-16-2022, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, you can't see a RAW file, Rob. No one can. It's a collection of numbers, without a colour space or gamma. In fact, it hasn't even been demosaiced.

It's always converted into some other format for us to look at, including on the back of the camera screen and in histogram form.
Yup... at the very least, before we can see it rendered on any device - including the camera's internal screen - a raw file is subject to an input and output colour profile... probably a base curve... possibly all manner of adjustments after that (contrast, saturation, shadows, highlights, etc.)...
03-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, I am aware what a raw file is and that a preview needs to be made

I had, however, forgotten that there is a button on the four way controller that changes that for all images. Doh. I hit it inadvertently in the dark and thought I was in the review mode menu, not the global settings menu. Doh; my bad. Wish I could reassign that button. But I'll certainly remember next time. Thank goodness I wasn't shooting jpegs.