Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2022, 05:13 PM   #1

K-1 Auto Focus Failure

The auto-focus feature has failed to work on my K-1. The camera is three years old, photography is my hobby, but I only shoot about 10-20 shots a week.

I have three lenses, Pentax 28-105mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Pentax 41mm Ltd.; none will auto-focus (including in full nor limit for the 90mm). I have used the AF many, many times and it has worked perfectly on all lenses. The lenses all focus manually and they all take perfect pictures. I shoot in AV mode 95% of the time.

It happened suddenly and I think I might have very well inadvertently changed some adjustment setting that is universally affecting the AF function. I not aware of making any such change(s), but that doesn't mean I did not.

Thoughts on what may be going-on and how I may correct it will be most appreciated.

04-02-2022, 05:19 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The most obvious question but just in case...is the small lever on AF or manual mode?
04-02-2022, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the standard comment, clean the contacts on the camera with a microfibre cloth and alcohol, and the lens contacts while you are at it. Then check again.
04-02-2022, 05:47 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also possible you have changed it to back button AF. See if the "AF" button on the back of the camera near the top right will make it autofocus.

If this is the case and you want to change it back, that's in camera menu 5 under button customization, then AF button. AF2 is the setting where the shutter button doesn't activate AF, AF1 is the 'normal' way where half press of the shutter activates AF.

Last edited by wadge22; 04-02-2022 at 06:00 PM.
04-02-2022, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

All are excellent suggestions.
04-02-2022, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be odd to see screwdrive af (da 40 Ltd uses that) and in lens motor (28-105 uses this) to both fail at the same time. So I suspect it is purely a settings issue.

Try the af/mf switch as previously suggested. If that doesn’t help try turning off back button af. If that doesn’t help try turning it on and using that button to focus. If none of that works try a camera reset.
04-02-2022, 07:22 PM - 7 Likes   #7

Original Poster
Thank you to each and everyone.

wade22 and UncleVanya nailed it: I had locked in the focus to use the AF button exclusively. When I now attach a lens, any lens, and press the AF button to focus...perfect.

An embarrassing mistake. I have to reflect that "If one learns by making mistakes, I am headed for Rhodes Scholar status".

Thanks, again, for taking time to address my question.

04-02-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote
Thank you to each and everyone.

wade22 and UncleVanya nailed it: I had locked in the focus to use the AF button exclusively. When I now attach a lens, any lens, and press the AF button to focus...perfect.

An embarrassing mistake. I have to reflect that "If one learns by making mistakes, I am headed for Rhodes Scholar status".

Thanks, again, for taking time to address my question.
Nailed it because it has happened to me. KP not K-1… but yes, I’ve had a few moments of panic from this very thing.
04-04-2022, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nailed it because it has happened to me. KP not K-1… but yes, I’ve had a few moments of panic from this very thing.
Me too.
04-04-2022, 02:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Me too.
Having too many cameras means I need to set them all up the same but rarely do... which leads to confusion sometimes. LOL.