Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ideally a flippy screen (which I admit to not living) that when turned backwards gave that clean no screen aesthetic- it would work for most people with a broader appeal. They could use the baseline of something like the KP modified to be more retro. Put an lx like grip on by default but support larger ones and you make a lot of friends.
True, only you add some depth to the camera's overall dimensions when adding a screen, which can't be worked around. Though it is probably an acceptable amount. I admit my no-screen preferences are impractical.

07-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
If there's one thing I believe Pentax could do now, in the face of all the talk about Nikon and Canon getting out of the DSLR game, to really gain some visibility as (potentially) last man standing with SLR technology, it would be to release a well-designed, small retro body, along the lines of the zFC and the DF. It would need to really closely align with their classic SLR bodies as much as possible. It could even lean hard into the classic representation by foregoing a screen on the back, I think (but I'm crazy). It wouldn't even have to be made in great quantities or sell really well, i.e. be a mainstream product. I think it would still tickle the fancies of a lot of the camera press. And I'm an old-fashioned weirdo who would love it.
Personally I wouldn't be interested in a camera that is full on retro styled. What I would be very interested in is Pentax attempt at making a simple, optimised, small and pared down camera using all their experience from the last 100 years up to and including the K-3 III. The feel and handling should be the best Pentax can achieve but photographer centric, not jewellery.
07-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Personally I wouldn't be interested in a camera that is full on retro styled. What I would be very interested in is Pentax attempt at making a simple, optimised, small and pared down camera using all their experience from the last 100 years up to and including the K-3 III. The feel and handling should be the best Pentax can achieve but photographer centric, not jewellery.
I don't think it would be for everybody, but I think it would capture a lot of the new crowd who are interested in classic cameras.
10-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #64

K-1 II and muscle tear.

K-1 II with 24-70 2,8
Nice kit but too heavy.
This is my second right arm muscle tear
1. One street Concert about 300 shots
2. Vacation in Europe 600 shots.
What do you think?
Should I buy a lighter camera?
But which one (none can beat the K-1)
Thank you for your answer.

10-03-2022, 11:24 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
Nice kit but too heavy.
From what, if I may ask? If it's from your kit, I think you may have an underlying physical problem and need to get check out. If not, and you just need to go with a lighter kit, then I think you should be looking at Sony. The new Canon and Nikon mirrorless offerings are nice, but I don't trust either company now that they have once again changed their mounts on their customers (yes, they had to, but still...). Yes, Sony changed mounts, but it was one they inherited, and in fact they phased out that whole line and went with one mirrorless one with one mount.
10-03-2022, 11:39 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 II with 24-70 2,8
Nice kit but too heavy.
What do you think?
That’s a difficult question to answer. I tend to travel light unless I’m on a dedicated photo trip and operating out of my car. For a while I used m43 as my lighter travel gear or a Panasonic LX-7 (my only camera on a two week trip to London and Paris in 2016). Then I got a Sony RX100 IV and found the quality to be close enough to the kit zooms on m43 that keeping that plus two other interchangeable lens platforms didn’t make sense to me anymore. I sold off my m43 and small enthusiast lx-7 gear and I have only regretted it because I love gear - it’s fun to tinker with.

M43 is small and very capable depending on what kind of output you need. I typically tended to keep a couple of slow zooms and a fast’ish prime with me when traveling (Panasonic 12-32 + 35-100 or 14-42PZ + 45-175, and a 20/1.7) and I also had some faster f2.8 zooms and primes. The Panasonic GX9 is small, light, and available in kit form with the 12-60 for about $800.

Apsc is another way to go but the weight savings isn’t as dramatic. The choices are numerous - I really like my KP.

Below I list out some body and lens options with the various formats including weight. The k-1 ii plus 24-70 can be dropped back a bit if the 28-105 works for you. That drops even more if the k-70 plus 18-50 works for your needs, but at ~ 980g that’s still heavy and larger than the m43 options but only by maybe 300g. Dropping down to the RX100 you land at about 300g total - and give up low light performance to a degree. At the wide end the f1.8 lens gives an additional 1 and 1/3 stops which offsets the noise to a degree. You give up control buttons. You give up dedicated Astro modes) you lose an ovf. You lose Pentax lens compatibility if the k-1 goes away.

K-1 II 1010g (w/battery & SD card)
D FA 24-70 787g
D FA 28-105 440g
(1450g to 1797g)

K-3iii 820g
K-70 688g
KP 703g
18-50 158g
16-85 488g
16-50 sdm 565g
16-50 PLM 712g
18-135 405g
(978g to 1532g)

EM1 III 580g
12-45/4 254g
14-42 EZ 91g
12-40/2.8 382g
(671g-962g)

GX9 407g
12-60 210g
617g

Sony RX100 Va
299g

I don’t know what a comfortable amount to carry is right now but with strengthening exercises you may be able to increase it some. Pick what you can carry and enjoy the hobby. Don’t punish yourself if it is too hard to carry the k-1.

---------- Post added 10-03-22 at 02:42 PM ----------

These are sample kits, many other options exist including a single prime or dual prime or prime plus zoom. I’m not out to prove any approach is better than another just to lay out options.
10-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #67
Pentaxian

K-1 II with 24-70 2,8
Nice kit but too heavy.

If none can beat the K1 you've sorta answered that part yourself. If that weight is a physical strain (sorry if so) then you need to clue us in as to what weight won't cause the same otherwise I'd suggest the Q or MX or iPhone even and remove the worry of a repetition of injury.

10-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-1 II with 24-70 2,8
Nice kit but too heavy.
What do you think?
If you want to be able to seriously lighten the load but still want access to a high-quality, fast-aperture zoom (by the way I think it's the lens that might be putting you over the top on weight with the K-1), I'd go for Micro Four Thirds. If you can handle the higher price of the new Olympus OM-1, it might be worth it for the newest tech inside, otherwise an E-M1 II or III with the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 II would be a very nice kit...
10-04-2022, 05:28 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I don't think it would be for everybody, but I think it would capture a lot of the new crowd who are interested in classic cameras.
Look at how many Fujis sell for looks alone. And Nikon, always the company to follow the wave two years too late, just released a retro-styled camera, even down to the old lettering on the fake pentaprism.
10-04-2022, 07:17 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s a difficult question to answer. I tend to travel light unless I’m on a dedicated photo trip and operating out of my car. For a while I used m43 as my lighter travel gear or a Panasonic LX-7 (my only camera on a two week trip to London and Paris in 2016). Then I got a Sony RX100 IV and found the quality to be close enough to the kit zooms on m43 that keeping that plus two other interchangeable lens platforms didn’t make sense to me anymore. I sold off my m43 and small enthusiast lx-7 gear and I have only regretted it because I love gear - it’s fun to tinker with.

M43 is small and very capable depending on what kind of output you need. I typically tended to keep a couple of slow zooms and a fast’ish prime with me when traveling (Panasonic 12-32 + 35-100 or 14-42PZ + 45-175, and a 20/1.7) and I also had some faster f2.8 zooms and primes. The Panasonic GX9 is small, light, and available in kit form with the 12-60 for about $800.

Apsc is another way to go but the weight savings isn’t as dramatic. The choices are numerous - I really like my KP.

Below I list out some body and lens options with the various formats including weight. The k-1 ii plus 24-70 can be dropped back a bit if the 28-105 works for you. That drops even more if the k-70 plus 18-50 works for your needs, but at ~ 980g that’s still heavy and larger than the m43 options but only by maybe 300g. Dropping down to the RX100 you land at about 300g total - and give up low light performance to a degree. At the wide end the f1.8 lens gives an additional 1 and 1/3 stops which offsets the noise to a degree. You give up control buttons. You give up dedicated Astro modes) you lose an ovf. You lose Pentax lens compatibility if the k-1 goes away.

K-1 II 1010g (w/battery & SD card)
D FA 24-70 787g
D FA 28-105 440g
(1450g to 1797g)

K-3iii 820g
K-70 688g
KP 703g
18-50 158g
16-85 488g
16-50 sdm 565g
16-50 PLM 712g
18-135 405g
(978g to 1532g)

EM1 III 580g
12-45/4 254g
14-42 EZ 91g
12-40/2.8 382g
(671g-962g)

GX9 407g
12-60 210g
617g

Sony RX100 Va
299g

I don’t know what a comfortable amount to carry is right now but with strengthening exercises you may be able to increase it some. Pick what you can carry and enjoy the hobby. Don’t punish yourself if it is too hard to carry the k-1.

---------- Post added 10-03-22 at 02:42 PM ----------

These are sample kits, many other options exist including a single prime or dual prime or prime plus zoom. I’m not out to prove any approach is better than another just to lay out options.
Thank you your suggestions.
I am going to investigate on the Sony.
I think Sony as an adaptor for Pentax lenses if I need.
Gerard
10-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you your suggestions.
I am going to investigate on the Sony.
I think Sony as an adaptor for Pentax lenses if I need.
Gerard
I have the AF Monster adapter and a KEF concepts manual one. I am working on an article about the Monster. In general the focusing speed and reliability is ok but not native like (for either camera or lens). Optically the lenses perform well and having Exif data is nice. The adapter while light adds bulk to already larger (dslr) lenses. It’s a good solution to use special purpose lenses or tinker with. I don’t think of it as a “daily driver” product. It can help in transition but honestly that’s not likely to woo people to Sony from Pentax.

Which Sony? The a7c plus a slow 28-60 is very small and has good iq. Iso performance is surprisingly excellent.

The Sony I mentioned is a fixed lens camera - 24-70 equivalence in the models before the VI. 24-200 in the VI and VII.

---------- Post added 10-04-22 at 01:04 PM ----------

There are also Sony apsc cameras but I don’t think they save that much weight compared to a k-70. They also don’t have the accelerator and their iso performance isn’t as good if I recall. Development on the Sony apsc lineup has been stagnant for a while. There are some good apsc lenses and iq is good.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-04-2022 at 10:05 AM.
10-05-2022, 05:50 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Look at how many Fujis sell for looks alone. And Nikon, always the company to follow the wave two years too late, just released a retro-styled camera, even down to the old lettering on the fake pentaprism.
It's hardly fair to say that Fujis sell for their looks alone. They're excellent cameras with excellent lenses.
10-06-2022, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's hardly fair to say that Fujis sell for their looks alone. They're excellent cameras with excellent lenses.
I said SOME Fujis sell for looks alone... not ALL Fujis.

That being said, the optical designer in me has to oppose the blanket statement about excellent lenses. ALL the Fuji tests and reviews I've read show that the lenses need to rely heavily on automated corrections, which the user cannot completely deactivate, to correct for a slew of optical aberrations. End results are nice, in part thanks to the large number of "film simulation" profiles, but it requires some computational heavy lifting.

We can argue about ergonomics, grips, etc, I'm not a fan but I understand the design ethos.

*getting down from my soapbox".