Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2022, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
Of course it does, but the OP starts off with, "...this may just be GAS, but I can't get the K-1 mkII out of my head."

We all have to make that decision/those decisions... size, weight, price, life expectancy (user and gear), IQ, clique-ability, etc. The KP is 1.5 lbs and the K1mkii is 2.25, so..
Whilst using a K200 I had a colleague using a Canon 5, and I was quite convinced I needed full frame (but didn't want to spend the money)
Now reading these comments (thx guys) and owning a Kp I am happy that I decided once more to stick to crop.
And talking about dogs and Iphones, this one taken with a second generation SE:
(of course it would have been even better with my Kp, but then I didn't have it with me)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (2nd generation)  Photo 
05-02-2022, 03:02 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoGekko Quote
Now reading these comments (thx guys) and owning a Kp I am happy that I decided once more to stick to crop.
The thing is, every format - small sensor, micro 4/3, APS-C, full format, medium format... and every piece of equipment - involves compromises of one sort or another (or several); whether it's size / weight, image quality, performance, creative versatility, cost etc. The trick is finding which one works best for you. Over the years, I've found that APS-C works best for me, but there are times when using my full frame gear or my little Q7 or a compact camera are preferable - and my needs and tolerances may well change in future. No format or item of gear is perfect for every scenario... they're all compromised in some way - and the importance of those compromises differs for each of us individually...
05-02-2022, 03:09 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went from a Sony A7r to a 645Z....
05-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
But not without certain compromises to accompany the benefits, right? For example, how long would you want to walk with the 645Z around your neck, and a brace of medium format lenses in your shoulder bag? Or do you pick a couple of lenses - or maybe just one - and shoot mostly from a tripod?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-02-2022 at 09:38 PM.
05-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good thoughts so far from all. I think the reason I found the KP heavy is that I never grew that accustomed to its grip (even the large one). It wasn't necessarily heavy, but it was heavy for its (compact) size, and shape. For me.

Another thought - how's the viewfinder? I know this is probably another thing that I'll need to wait till I can get my hands on. I'm hoping for a significantly bigger and better/brighter one than an APS-C viewfinder.
05-02-2022, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
how's the viewfinder? I know this is probably another thing that I'll need to wait till I can get my hands on. I'm hoping for a significantly bigger and better/brighter one than an APS-C viewfinder.
Depends which crop viewfinder. Going from the KP, you'll definitely notice the difference. From the K-3 Mark III, not so much.

And don't forget that if you have some old film lenses, their angle of view will widen to their native format on the K-1. That will give you more creative options.
05-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
don't forget that if you have some old film lenses, their angle of view will widen to their native format on the K-1. That will give you more creative options.
Good point, Sandy. One of the draws for me with full-format - and one of the reasons I love having it as an option - is the use of older glass on the format for which it was originally intended. It's very different than using it on cropped sensors, and - for those of us who care - impossible to replicate on other formats and with other glass...

05-02-2022, 03:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Depends which crop viewfinder. Going from the KP, you'll definitely notice the difference. From the K-3 Mark III, not so much.

And don't forget that if you have some old film lenses, their angle of view will widen to their native format on the K-1. That will give you more creative options.
The legacy lens coverage is one of the biggest reasons I think about FF. It's not IQ - that is plenty good with APS-C, heck, even M4/3 is good enough much of the time - but the ease of using all sorts of lenses without dealing with a crop is a big deal for me.
05-02-2022, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For several years before acquiring my HV and lenses, I'd been shooting primarily with a Pentax K-5 or K-3 and mostly dedicated APS-C format lenses. Switching up to full frame with the HV, I really noticed the difference in size and weight, especially when walking around for a few hours (and with early-onset rheumatoid arthritis starting to kick in gradually). At home, or stepping out of my car for half an hour, the size and weight aren't an issue, but a full morning or afternoon's shooting whilst walking is a different matter, and an entire day lugging the full-frame camera about with a 24-70 f/2.8 fitted and 70-200 f/2.8 in the bag is a chore for me; do-able, but not a great deal of fun.
Mack – I understand completely. I too have a bit of arthritis, and over the past 8 months I have been battling some heart issues. I was accustomed to carrying my camera in my hand with a wrist loop for safety as I just cannot stand using a neck strap. My recent health problems, complete with walking with a cane, made hand-carry near to impossible. I bought a Cotton Carrier and that has solved my problems. The camera sits safely at chest level and can be removed from the harness in just a second or two. You might want to check it out.

To keep with the thread, I would recommend the Cotton Carrier (or a similar product) in any situation where you are concerned about the weight of the camera.
05-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #25

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I forgot to mention I love Camdapter (Camdapter.com) straps to help you hold on to your camera body. Along with arthritis in my hands I have carpal tunnel and a whole host of chronic pain conditions and I still hand carry my camera over neck straps. I used to walk with a cane - progressed to a walker, then a scooter now it is a wheelchair. I would have ordered a new Camdapter for my K-1 but they no longer ship to Canada. Even with that annoyance I still love them. As an alternative I bought a Peak Designs Clutch. It works well but I still prefer the Camdapter Strap and once I can get around the no ship to Canada then I’ll order another one.
05-02-2022, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoGekko Quote
And talking about dogs and Iphones, this one taken with a second generation SE:
(of course it would have been even better with my Kp, but then I didn't have it with me)
We have a 3 legged hound rescue who has, um, mind issues at times - fear of gun shots and now most surf conditions which can be trying when the beach is beckoning. Yesterday she balked approaching rocks that might have a wave crash on them so we detoured back a bit, up the hill, through the woods and when we broke out to only waist high salal right in front of us to ocean side eye level sat atop a rock a pair of bald eagles basking in the late afternoon sun. would of been perfect for about a 150 - 200 or pictorial with maybe a 35. The phone just couldn't quite do it. Sometimes win and lose.
05-02-2022, 05:24 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I've spent a good amount of time today researching the 645Z, and the 645 FA75 and 150 lenses. I'm much like the OP and his K1 obsession, but I already have the K1.

Anyway, no intention of distracting. IMO the K1 and crop K70/KP/K3III serve different photographic interests. If you're that interested in the K1, which I initially thought heavy but not any longer, grab a carefully used one. They're now easily found at $1000 or less, so you won't lose any money on it if you decide it's not for you after all.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-02-2022 at 05:31 PM.
05-02-2022, 08:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Hello friends, this may just be GAS, but I can't get the K-1 mkII out of my head. It just offers such a powerful FF sensor along with all the Pentax goodies and the K-mount for such a good price. The one thing, however, is how large and heavy the camera appears to be. I had a KP for a little less than a year and I loved certain things about it, but I found it heavy - for its size - and therefore a little awkward to carry. I am used to micro four thirds, if that gives you a good idea of the system size I tend to carry. So I'm just interested in hearing whether anyone coming from much smaller and/or lighter cameras has made the adjustment to carrying a K-1, and how that went for you. I realize it will not have the same portability as the EM5 mk II that I am used to, but I don't really have any analogous experience of what it would feel like in use. Perhaps I need to rent one...
When the K1 first came out my K20D became my backup. When they came out with mkII I upgraded my K1. Later that year I traded my K20D as part of a deal to get a second K1mkII. I use them to shoot airshows. I will have a Black Rapid double harness with 2 K1MKII'S and battery grips. One will have the 70-200 and the other will have the 150-450. All that to say when I am just using 1 it doesn't seem as heavy. But as others have said, rent 1 and see how you like it.
05-03-2022, 12:25 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used Sony e-mount cameras.So I'm familiar with the size and weight of that brand of mirrorless. Still have one that gets occasional use.

Right now, I'm enjoying a new-to-me Pentax KP. Of all the digital cameras I've used over the last several years, this KP seems like the near ideal camera for me. No, I don't find it heavy or large compared to the Sony e-mount cameras. It's the easiest and best (for me) camera I've used to date. Now, I wish I would have bought one new while they were being closed out.

I'm afraid I don't relate to the size being too big or the weight too much, but that is a very personal thing.
05-03-2022, 12:54 AM   #30
Pentaxian

My main cameras are Pentax KP and Sony A7.
Although they are different type of cameras there are a lot of similarities between them.

Similar sized cameras, with similar sized grip, shutter button placement and same type of rear screen.
So it is quite easy to switch between them for the most basic things, but there is a noticeable difference in weight between them.

I do not think I would enjoy a camera much heavier than KP.