Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2022, 04:23 AM   #1

K-1 Movie Focus

I am new at attempting to use the Movie mode on my K-1.

If I am in Movie mode (manual, 30fps, 1/60th), shooting a static subject, using the shutter-button half-way to establish initial focus, is there a way to maintain focus as I either very slowly move the camera closer to the subject, or as I stay in place and zoom the lens?

I have tried holding down the AF button, no luck; holding down the shutter button half-way, that's not it.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you.

05-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I am pretty sure the K1 does not support AF during recording. It will focus before you start but once it is recording you can only do manual focus.
05-30-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you press and hold the AF button, you'll get access to a (rather slow) movie af function during recording. There's no way to get the camera to automatically maintain focus, though, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you press and hold the AF button, you'll get access to a (rather slow) movie af function during recording. There's no way to get the camera to automatically maintain focus, though, unfortunately.
Adam, Vector -

Of course, not the answer I wanted, but the answer I expected. Thank you for taking time to address the issue.

Chas.

05-30-2022, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote
Of course, not the answer I wanted, but the answer I expected.
We usually get the answers we expect when we expect them, it's called a confirmation bias.

I am not aware of any camera focus track subjects smoothly when recording videos. Most often than not, focusing during video recording isn't exactly smooth or free of erratic behavior, sometimes the subject goes out of focus in the middle of recording until the camera find the subject again, it's not very nice. To avoid this problem of transitions, people either use fixed focus making sure there's enough depth of field, or they use cinema lenses that have a focus ring mechanically coupled to a video rig. I know Fuji have focus tracking during recording, but after a while users disable the automatic AF tracking to avoid the camera constantly hunt back and forth during video recording. The video rig for tracking subject during video recording is called "follow focus", camera AF is disabled, so it can be done with any camera, including a Pentax K1

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-30-2022 at 01:57 PM.
05-30-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
We usually get the answers we expect when we expect them, it's called a confirmation bias.

I am not aware of any camera focus track subjects smoothly when recording videos. Most often than not, focusing during video recording isn't exactly smooth or free of erratic behavior, sometimes the subject goes out of focus in the middle of recording until the camera find the subject again, it's not very nice. To avoid this problem of transitions, people either use fixed focus making sure there's enough depth of field, or they use cinema lenses that have a focus ring mechanically coupled to a video rig. I know Fuji have focus tracking during recording, but after a while users disable the automatic AF tracking to avoid the camera constantly hunt back and forth during video recording. The video rig for tracking subject during video recording is called "follow focus", camera AF is disabled, so it can be done with any camera, including a Pentax K1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnzeQE5vAqU.
Biz-Engineer -

A most interesting explanation. Making movies is not a great interest of mine, but I decided that if the K-1 "Movie" mode was there I would try to learn a bit about it. Regardless of any short-coming in the video department, the K-1 serves me extraordinarily well. From ergonomics that seem as if they were molded for my own hand, to image quality that is outstanding, the K-1 fits my interess and usage patterns perfectly. If I really wanted video capability, there are other options that have emphasized that capability.

Thanks for taking time to give me a more in-depth perspective.

Chas.
05-30-2022, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Cpoteet,

Live View only has AF-S, not AF-C. It can track, but you still need to press the button to acquire focus repeatedly.

This is not a problem in cinematography, because serious video (like movies) are made with manual focus for better control.

In the same way they do not want a camera to wobble or move up and down during a shot, they do not want focus to shift unintentionally.

05-30-2022, 05:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I actually gave it a go since I incorrectly posted earlier that it doesn't work and now I remember why I just use the camera as if it doesn't work. Pressing the AF button during record starts with a little pulsing in and out to figure out which way to move the lens followed by the slow focus adjustment that often isn't accurate. So while it technically can work, I will suggest just assuming it doesn't work. It is also loud enough to be picked up on the recording, even with an external mic. I don't record a lot of video on my Pentax cameras but when I do I immediately switch them to manual focus. For the most part the screen is good enough to tell if you are in focus or at least close. It would be amazing if Pentax had allowed focus peaking to work during record.
05-30-2022, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is not a problem in cinematography, because serious video (like movies) are made with manual focus for better control.

In the same way they do not want a camera to wobble or move up and down during a shot, they do not want focus to shift unintentionally.
Indeed. Which is why, when you look at the movie's credits, there's listed the camera man, the first camera assistant and second camera assistant. (And sometimes several groups like this)

For those who may not know, the camera man zooms and pans and keeps the camera on the subject, the 1st camera assistant (also called "focus puller") keeps the camera focused on the subject and the 2nd camera assistant's responsibility is the clapper board. In the old days of film, the 2nd assistant also usually loaded the cans of film.
05-30-2022, 06:47 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Indeed. Which is why, when you look at the movie's credits, there's listed the camera man, the first camera assistant and second camera assistant. (And sometimes several groups like this)

For those who may not know, the camera man zooms and pans and keeps the camera on the subject, the 1st camera assistant (also called "focus puller") keeps the camera focused on the subject and the 2nd camera assistant's responsibility is the clapper board. In the old days of film, the 2nd assistant also usually loaded the cans of film.
Yeah, it irritates me when I see in a Youtube video some vlogger wave his hand and the focus goes to it while he's talking, he puts it away and it goes back to his face.

Do the scene again, mate - and turning the AF off will help you!

If you guys want to monetize what you do, attract commercial jobs to do demos or reviews, professionalise your technique, that costs you nothing.

If you can't operate cameras, why should we listen to you when you're spruiking cameras or lenses for a company?
05-30-2022, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Spruiking"! Now there's a term you don't hear often!

Hear hear mate.
05-31-2022, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote
If I really wanted video capability, there are other options that have emphasized that capability.
There is a contradiction between what's good auto-focus for photography and what's a good auto-focus for video. Auto-focus should be brutally fast for photography, hence the short focus throw and snappy motors of the lenses. For video, the focus should be smooth and accelerated and decelerated, moving from subject to subject without distracting. That's why dedicated video lenses have well damped focus gear (and click-less apertures), and there is a market for video application. The closest you could get to video lenses characteristics would be with using old manual focus macro lenses , those Pentax M 50mm macro and M 100 macros, I believe.
05-31-2022, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #13

Original Poster
To All -

I learned far more than I ever anticipated from a rather focused (couldn't resist) question. I've never been around professional cinematography and I found the details of what all goes into just the simple dimension of focusing fascinating.

Thanks for taking time to expand my knowledge.

Chas.
06-03-2022, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
the 1st camera assistant (also called "focus puller") keeps the camera focused on the subject
In all of cinematography, this has to be the most stressful job. Particularly when lenses faster than T/2 are involved.