Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2022, 08:31 AM   #1

Will we see a K1 Mark 3?

Anyone out there have any rumors or information on when we might see a K1 Mark 3?

06-29-2022, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Nothing yet. It's been quiet on the Ricoh front & Pentax Rumors.

More than likely this post will end up being moved to this forum.
06-29-2022, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pblogic Quote
Will we see a K1 Mark 3?
Good grief a MkIII... I'm still happily working away with the original K1s and they're all still doing what I need of them just now.

I guess I'm just a simple Highlander.
06-29-2022, 09:21 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The folks with insider rumors don't typically wait till someone asks about it to cough up their information. Everyone else will just be speculating.

My speculation is that yes, there will be a K1iii. I won't even speculate on when. The strongest points I can make as to why I think it will be so are that they have continued releasing FF lenses, and that they would probably want to leverage the developments in the K3iii.

06-29-2022, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Good grief a MkIII... I'm still happily working away with the original K1s and they're all still doing what I need of them just now.

I think the K1 is a fantastic camera, I'm just hoping to see better autofocus for the most part, along with some refinements from the k3 III

I'm still using a k20D, so any version of the k1 will blow it away, but I was hoping for the MK III to hit before I upgrade... but that doesn't seem likely at this point, it could still be quite far off.

---------- Post added 06-29-2022 at 09:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
The folks with insider rumors don't typically wait till someone asks about it to cough up their information. Everyone else will just be speculating.

My speculation is that yes, there will be a K1iii. I won't even speculate on when. The strongest points I can make as to why I think it will be so are that they have continued releasing FF lenses, and that they would probably want to leverage the developments in the K3iii.
I thought it unlikely I would scare up any info, but really just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something in my searches.

edit: that's a good point about the FF lenses. That would seem to indicate an investment in going forward with full frame DSLR.
06-29-2022, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
pid
Pentaxian

I think the K1 is a fantastic camera, I'm just hoping to see better autofocus for the most part, along with some refinements from the k3 III

I'm still using a k20D, so any version of the k1 will blow it away, but I was hoping for the MK III to hit before I upgrade... but that doesn't seem likely at this point, it could still be quite far off.

I thought it unlikely I would scare up any info, but really just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something in my searches.

edit: that's a good point about the FF lenses. That would seem to indicate an investment in going forward with full frame DSLR.
the K1 is a fantastic workhorse, but the new K3III with its big viewfinder is a good alternative if you like to have a lighter set
06-29-2022, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

of course.

06-29-2022, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote

At first, Pentaxians wanted something ‘to make my 50mm to act like a 50mm’,
but some are never satisfied. I am ‘still using a KP’;
I guess some have more ‘more dollars than sense’.
06-29-2022, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Smart money for a K3III release seems to be betting on sometime next year, definitely not 2021.
06-29-2022, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm still using a K20D, so any version of the K1
I was waiting and still using K20Ds, right up until the launch of Pentax FF K1s back 2016. The MkII version offered nothing additional for my needs, so I stuck with original ones.

If it's FF you need... upgrade to a K1 any version, you won't IMHO regret it.
06-29-2022, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess some have more ‘more dollars than sense’.
If you ever find where that money tree is planted... let me know and I'll come and help you harvest it.
06-29-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone out there have any rumors or information on when we might see a K1 Mark 3?
I expect there will be, but probably not until 2024 at the earliest.
06-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An understandable dilemma. But consider this.....You could wait another 2 or 5 years for another FF Pentax. Your K20D is 14 years old technology. Why would you continue to use tech that no longer serves your purpose ?

The K1 II is readily available now.
06-29-2022, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

There will be a mock-up first.
06-29-2022, 01:16 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still using the OG K-1, pre-ordered in 2016 - the first time I ever pre-ordered a camera. A mk3 with a joystick and touchscreen functionality would be enough to get me to upgrade. Better AF, perhaps with a built-in lens calibrator that worked off the live-view data, would be icing on the cake. Oh, and they better keep an articulating screen or it's a no-go for me.