Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-12-2022, 12:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Daylight WB on the K1

I shoot raw (DNG). I usually have my camera set to Daylight WB in the camera. I do this for consistence when reviewing the images in-camera.

When I process the images i have the choice of Silkypix DS Pro 11 or Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw. Now if I select "camera settings" for the WB I get different results between the two softwares.

Silkypix gives me 4600 K and ACR gives me 5000K ? Any idea why they are not the same ?

Last edited by pschlute; 07-12-2022 at 03:28 AM.
07-12-2022, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably a DNG WB encoding error of some sort, in my experience ACR is perhaps the worst offender when it comes to this. As you probably know I set my WB to a fixed value of 5000K with all my cameras* - but that doesn't stop RAW converters coming up with some pretty interesting results. When left to their own devices RT, C1, LR classic and Affinity do peculiar things with the WB of my K1 and MKII DNG raw files....and this isn't just a Pentax thing: With my Leica RAW files, WB often gets interpreted in pretty interesting ways at time. Just for a laugh I switch WB to Auto with my Leica monochrom and see what the software comes up with..

Sorry I don't have much of a solution, other than perhaps profiling your cameras so you get consistent WB across software packages but I will warn you: colour correction is a rabbit hole.

* ACR/LR often wanders around -/+300K either side 5000K and I haven't noticed any particular pattern to it. C1 wanders somewhat less at -/+ 100K either side, RT and Affinity depending upon the camera model WB values have a tendency to creep up +200K~400K warmer than what I have set.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-12-2022 at 02:47 AM.
07-12-2022, 03:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

As far as I have learned camera raw is unprocessed uncompressed grayscale picture data containing camera setting metadata on how the picture was captured, more often than not saved in DNG format. Each software interprets that metadata depending on the software's initial raw processing engine and possibly the color settings the software is set to. So it is not uncommon different software may interpret the initial raw data read differently. Since DNG is an Adobe camera raw I've found it seems to interpret the initial data fairly close for me but I don't pay much attention to what it is initially as it will get changed in the beginning of my processing anyway. I haven't saved anything in Pentax Pef for years so I couldn't say if software may read raw metadata from it differently, would be an interesting experiment.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-12-2022 at 03:39 AM.
07-12-2022, 03:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I should have said in my original post I use DNG.

Added that now.