Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #1

Reset Delay Timer

Can the delay timer on the K-1 be reset from the default 2 seconds to a longer time?

Thank you.

07-12-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All my APSc bodies give you a choice of either 2 or 12 seconds in the timer,
I don't know the K1, but would guess it's the same?
Look at page 57 in the K1 manual,
07-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's just 2 or 12 on the K1, as well.

It would be nice if you could change it, I agree. Sometimes a little longer than 2 would make all the difference to let the camera settle down on a tripod, but 12 is overkill; it would be nice to be able to do 4. I also once took a self shot with the camera set far away at the Grand Canyon, where I wish I could have set the timer to longer than 12; not that I was really putting myself in danger, but still, I kind of had to hustle to get to the planned spot for the shot, and it would be nice to not have to think about that.
07-12-2022, 11:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

On the K-50 the 12 second delay doesn't raise the mirror until the photo is taken while the 2 second delay raises the mirror when the shutter button is pressed. If the delay is being used to allow any vibrations to die down the 12 second delay is pointless. Any idea why it's like this?

07-13-2022, 08:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you! Your courtesy to answer such a question is appreciated.

Another example where I am a bit embarrassed to have asked a question with such an obvious answer.

Operator error. I have never looked past the 2sec icon. Having a 12sec delay is just what I wished for.
07-13-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
On the K-50 the 12 second delay doesn't raise the mirror until the photo is taken while the 2 second delay raises the mirror when the shutter button is pressed. If the delay is being used to allow any vibrations to die down the 12 second delay is pointless. Any idea why it's like this?
I agree - useless if what you want is less vibration. I think there is also a seprate mirror lock up mode.

I'm guessing the 12 seconds is for those of us who want to run and get in the picture!

BTW, somewhere (I can't find it at the moment) there is a picture of the JPL team that developed the camera on one of the early Mars rovers, taken by a copy of the camera which went on the rover. That camera was a vertical scan camera - it took a vertical strip image, and then rotated a bit to take the next strip, repeating as necessary to get the final image. One of the team engineers, well aware of this technique, moved himself over at the back of the group, in between some of the vertical scans. He is in the picture 8 or so times!
07-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
He is in the picture 8 or so times!
My dad has a photo of his high school or college class from the 1950s, which was done in the football stands, with a rotating lens, panoramic camera, some of the guys from the beginning end ran around the stands to get into the end, added to the class size.
I think the print is about 8"x16" or so, been a while since I've seen it

---------- Post added 07-13-22 at 06:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
12 second delay doesn't raise the mirror
On my K3 there is a separate mirror up mode, you should be able to engage both, separately, to get 12second delay, with mirror up at the start of the sequence.

07-13-2022, 10:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you use 2second delay with image sync? Gives time to move the phone from view