Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I don't need speed of light write times, but the K-1 was a significant step down from the K-5 and K-3. Maybe double the buffer size and that would help a lot, but hopefully they would improve both the buffer and write speeds in any future K-1 update.
I think simply supporting faster write speeds would make a huge difference. The K-3 III has a better buffer than past cameras, but when you are using a fast card it clears it very quickly and you don't get the same lock ups you do with the K-1.

08-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Is there evidence to support that?
Not evidence, just plain logic. Especially with interchangeable lens camera's!
08-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't need speed of light write times, but the K-1 was a significant step down from the K-5 and K-3. Maybe double the buffer size and that would help a lot, but hopefully they would improve both the buffer and write speeds in any future K-1 update.
I don't think they improved write times very much over the K3, but they are writing much larger files.
For that stuff they will have to use what's available in the moment. I suspect they will give us faster write speeds because that is the hardware available.
If they are writing 60mp files, we may not get faster buffer clearing though.

---------- Post added Aug 6th, 2022 at 04:41 PM ----------

Not unless you want to seek it out.
08-06-2022, 04:37 PM - 5 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

I dunno.

I'm happy with my K1, which I bought new in Feb. 2017 ...and my K5, which I bought new in November 2011. I haven't been using my K5 as much over the past few years (since I got my K1 and NOS GR ll), but I was out at a car show this past weekend, it looked like it was going to rain , and I had my K5 and 18-135...both are WR...so I wandered around on the farm (where the show was) for an hour or so, taking pix with my K5.

For a well used camera that is over a decade old, I was surprised how good my K5 is...pix were great. In the field (literally ) was changing ISO , F stop, shutter speed, light metering systems regularly...and the K5 was responding very well...judging by the end product...the images.

Given that I started photography, back in the late '60's and was using basic , no meter cameras....Pentax S1a, Mamiya 220 TLR's...always using hand held light meters...with no way to check my work...till after the film was developed...something as outmoded as my 11 year old K5....has so many features over and above what I started with...to me...is a camera that does everything I want/need amazingly well. In the late '60's, early '70's...my camera equipment were working tools, which helped me earn part of my daily bread.

I haven't tried the latest, greatest cameras out there now...like the Canon R series, the Nikon Z series....but I wonder....do I really need that new level of camera. I don't get a lot of missed shots...now, including taking birds in flight, drag racing events, etc.

When I'm working with my K5, K1, GR ll...how much 'right now' technology do I...or ....others..... really need.

My view is that is do you need it...or do you just want it ?

08-09-2022, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

There are a lot of us Old Schoolers out there. Don't forget us........
08-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't think they improved write times very much over the K3, but they are writing much larger files.For that stuff they will have to use what's available in the moment. I suspect they will give us faster write speeds because that is the hardware available.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think simply supporting faster write speeds would make a huge difference. The K-3 III has a better buffer than past cameras, but when you are using a fast card it clears it very quickly and you don't get the same lock ups you do with the K-1.
Yes, but a significant factor is that the files are only 2/3 the size of the K-1.

I recall seeing a chart of write speeds here in the past; the K-1 writes faster than the K-5, but not as fast as the K-3.It was kind of a skunk-works project that the engineers were working on, so it probably took a while to come out, so the technology they started with was a bit outdated on release.
08-09-2022, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, but a significant factor is that the files are only 2/3 the size of the K-1.

I recall seeing a chart of write speeds here in the past; the K-1 writes faster than the K-5, but not as fast as the K-3.It was kind of a skunk-works project that the engineers were working on, so it probably took a while to come out, so the technology they started with was a bit outdated on release.
Pentax technology is always a bit outdated on release.

08-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #38

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked through a lot of SEC filings and market reports seeking information on profits on lenses versus camera bodies and I could find no support for that statement.
08-10-2022, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In considering the advent of new products, we have to consider also the global shortage of electronic chips and parts for all sorts of existing products across many lines of manufacture. Intel made a statement awhile back that they expect shortages persisting into 2024. Other articles have stated through 2023, etc.

Without knowledge of which specific chips are needed for file processing or buffer clearing in Pentax cameras, and only some speculative knowledge of which optical sensors might be considered, or what Pentax is aiming at, it's really one of the least possible times in electronics history to predict the future. Well, so it seems to me, anyway.
08-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KoenR Quote
And I love the outdated technology of my K3 Mark 1
I love the out dated technology of my K3 mark II
08-12-2022, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I dunno.

When I'm working with my K5, K1, GR ll...how much 'right now' technology do I...or ....others..... really need.

My view is that is do you need it...or do you just want it ?
In my case.... buying a K3III brought some clarity on this matter to me. I expect my K1's to do me for the next 10 years.... I've not connected with the K3III.... but maybe oneday something will click.... but I am unlikely to get suckered again.
08-12-2022, 07:29 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
In my case.... buying a K3III brought some clarity on this matter to me. I expect my K1's to do me for the next 10 years.... I've not connected with the K3III.... but maybe oneday something will click.... but I am unlikely to get suckered again.
What do you suppose is standing in the way of a connection? Is it more the image quality, or the ergonomics, or feature set, or something else? I fully understand that there may be no precise answer. I have a few bodies.

The K-5iis was "a natural." The K-3ii "didn't settle well." The KP was like "old home week, I felt perfectly comfortable with it from the start." And yet, I'd be hard pressed to say exactly what was the deciding difference.

I just wondered if you had any insight to share about the K-3iii, as I've been a bit hesitant. Thanks.
08-13-2022, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I just wondered if you had any insight to share about the K-3iii, as I've been a bit hesitant. Thanks.
I probally wont be much help.... my fav pentax digitals are/were the K200, K5II, K1 and KP..... less fave have been the K3 (poor low light performance) and K3III..... I now run a KP, 2 K1's and a K3III. The K3III was mostly bought as a DFA150-450 body..... generally I like the viewfinder and joystick.... but somewhat miss the GPS.

In analysing things.... I think part of the issue with the K3III (for me) is that it probally came too late for where I am in the hobby..... I guess I'm use to getting easy results with my K1 and KP and just don't have the need "to learn" the focus system... I get better results based on my adhoc use of the camera using simple focus techniques. I do miss the GPS of my K1.... and can't be bothered using a phone with any camera (ie GPS or screen image stuffing around)....

I'm also somewhat over expecting any "new" body to be an answer to our hopes.... and then finding a few things are better and a few things have been overlooked. Maybe.... in reality.... the K1 and KP are just enough for me.... and I just don't have the user need for what a K3III offers.... so haven't bonded with it.
08-13-2022, 04:05 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I started as an amateur for family photography with Km, quickly approx. for a year and a half I changed Kx/Kr/K30 and borrowed K3, constantly using AF360FGZ, I was constantly looking for a better af - iso - dr from the camera, I didn't notice that the other characteristics were necessary for me and were missing, since I have K1 for 4 years, now I miss the writing speed and af-c, I shoot in raw and process in ps, I think I have reached the peak of my ability in the photos I wanted as a family photography amateur, I will eventually buy a future K1 lll with a big improvement in af-c and writing speed for approx. about 5 years since its release, but I'm eagerly waiting for DFA 70(65)-300(320)/4.5-5.6 ED DC (IF) WR in addition to the existing ones- see the signature,as an advanced amateur family photographer I miss the choice DFA lens for this type of photography, I am finally satisfied with the camera but I am not satisfied with the choice of new existing DFA lenses for my needs

Last edited by mbukal; 08-13-2022 at 04:34 AM.
12-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you were paying attention when the DAF*85/1.4 was released, you would have seen the press releases indicating that they wanted that lens to have high enough resolution for future higher resolution sensors.
At some point they won't be able to get 36mp sensors any longer and will be forced to update the camera.

Definition of outdated: no longer current (Merriam-Webster dictionary)
And yes, there is such a thing as outdated technology in photography, especially digital photography. Just because people still shoot with Spotmatics doesn't mean they aren't outdated, it just means people still shoot with them.
What is wrong with cameras from 2015 or 2016? Nothing, but this doesn't mean time has stopped at that date either.
To keep Pentax alive, the bean counters need to see continued sales and positive cash flow from new lens sales and additional accessories sales ( plus continued sales of K1 IIs, K 3 IIIs and the new KF ). This will allow the Pentax management team to sign off on an updated K1. I appreciate the fact that the newest lenses all tend to be very high end products with upgraded technology. Although supporters seem to want more sooner, less and at an even pace is a better strategy. But what do any of us really know? Nevertheless, since it's currently the Christmas season, we are all allowed to make a wish.